Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Engineering brick – Help
  • almightydutch
    Free Member

So Dutch Towers new garden is almost done but, as is normal with the fairer sex, another job has just cropped up and I need help from the collective:

Outside tap now required and while the plumbing side of things isn’t an issue, drilling a 16mm hole through 2 courses of engineering brick is…last time I did this (40mm waste pipe moved 150mm left) I remember being at it almost half a day. This was stitch drilling and bolster chisel method. Not pretty!!

This time however I have a much smaller hole required but I want to know whats the best method for this?

I only have an old 600w hammer drill which I don’t think will take another bashing at engineering brick as the bearings sound rough as **** as it is.

marcus7
    Free Member

Core drill, although it sounds like your drill won’t do it…

trail_rat
    Free Member

like everything – with the right tools its not so bad.

youll be wanting an SDS drill and some long drill bits…..screwfix do a titan one that has a good rep and not too pricy.

tthew

I’d hire a decent drill with a diamond bit fron a hire shop. Tell them what you’re drilling though, there are often excessive wear rules.

almightydutch
    Free Member

Ahh so no simple its this (insert name) drill bit then.

If I’m gonna hire one would it be best to, and I hate myself for saying this, get a tradesman in.

tthew

Not for drilling one long hole, and if you’ve done the stich drilling and bolstering this job’s a sight easier!.
    A drill and a bit won’t cost much for a day’s hire. Local, single branch places are usually a load cheaper than the likes of HSS etc. who are generally targeting the corporate market.

edit – if you ring a hire shop up and tell them what you are doing, they will tell you what the options are.

Rubber_Buccaneer

It’s simple alright, SDS drill and drill bit long enough to go through two courses of brick and a cavity. You don’t need a core bit for a hole that size.

tthew

Just had another thought, it may be easier to go through the morter than the hard bricks, unless that’s been made to a high strength too.

almightydutch
    Free Member

Ok ok sounds like a job for me then. Best find someone with an SDS I can borrow.

properbikeco
    Free Member

as above, borrow an sds

also the titan one is £70 from screwfix, so if hire even remotely approaches then i’d just buy one

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I’ve used a std Bosch chord drill with normal chuck with a long enough drill bit. The drill bit cost a small fortune though, but went though fine. Not quite like a hot knife through butter, but easy enough. No need for a special drill.

thepurist

Motto for life: if a job’s worth doing, it’s worth buying a power tool. Treat yourself 😉

dannybgoode

If you have never used an SDS drill before then treat yourself to one. You’ll never go back to normal hammer drills again. They feel like with a long enough bit you could drill to the other side of the world. Awesome things…

totalshell

SDS.. go through with a 7mm masonary bit from the outside as a pilot something a foot long ought to get through two layers of brick. then plough in with the 16mm bit.

screwfix is your friend here..

wrightyson
    Free Member

Don’t predrill with masonry bits. Especially into anything hard like an engineering brick. They snag like a bastard. As above just go 16mm straight in with an sds.
    Also don’t go for the mortar or you will also get snagging.

revs1972
    Free Member

Where in the country are you. Maybe someone close with the right kit could lend a hand

jim25

If you hire a drill a core bit from somewhere. Don’t use the drill on hammer mode, just spin only, otherwise you’ll smash all the diamond teeth off.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Ffs no one uses diamond cores for 16mm

Stoner
    Free Member

I was trying to think what a diamond core of 16mm would look like 😉

dutch – if you’re anywhere near Malvernistan, my SDS and 1/2/3ft bits are available to borrow.

almightydutch
    Free Member

I’m right next door to Cannock Chase, so popular destination for quite a few….can offer lots of tea/beer/snacks on pre or post ride…have workshop to fix bikes if needed…..come on help a fellow biker

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Engineering brick – Help’ is closed to new replies.