Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 1,010 total)
  • Bloody hell Liverpool!
  • deadlydarcy
    Free Member

😆

Ok, that was funny.

grum
    Free Member

Oh, I agree. I just point out that it was unwise to suggest that Liverpool have some kind of moral superiority over Man U.

Lucky no-one did that then eh?

I do think it’s fair to say that both Liverpool and Man U have a slightly more respectable pedigree in terms of having achieved a great deal of their success without a foreign oligarch sugar daddy.

Just enjoy the game for what it is,none of us are perfect are we 🙂

Yup – unless all fans start doing some kind of moral audit of all their club’s players then I think they can STFU moaning about Suarez being a bitey racist. Just enjoy the ridiculously good football he is playing.

liverpool six games from being unbearable again

Bring on the unbearableness 😀

Junkyard
    Free Member

Looking good for the Pool for sure
    I guess it just a nerves/squeaky bum time

I cannot see many teams stopping them scoring

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    grum
    Free Member

With the Sunderland game I thought the pressure was getting to them and I really suspected they might slip up against Spurs. I was very wrong though!

binners

Mrs Binners noted, as the camera panned to a close up of Flannaghan yesterday, that since Peter Beardsley retired football really has been deprived of a proper bit of eye candy 😀

mikey3
    Free Member

In seasons past Liverpool would have conceded at the end against sunderland and thrown away two points,in fact they were a bit lucky at the end they didn’t.But then a bit of luck and not drawing at home against teams they should beat on paper is sometimes the difference between champions and just top four,should be an interesting end of season.

66deg
    Free Member

Mrs Binners noted, as the camera panned to a close up of Flannaghan yesterday, that since Peter Beardsley retired football really has been deprived of a proper bit of eye candy

Ok so he’s not Mrs Binners type but i bet you got a low down tingle .

Jokes aside not only is Mrs Binners right if you listen to to one of his interviews it makes your ears bleed and melts the brain.

weeksy

Oooooh that wasn’t the performance we know and love…

The result was though 🙂

binners

Massive game next Sunday now! Could be anyone’s this! (Apart from ours, obviously) You’d still be mad to put any money on the top four. Everton looked bloody good this afternoon too. Totally outplayed arsenal from start to finish.

weeksy

Everton played really well yes . I think if the beat Wenger to 4th he could be on his way out.

Sunday is Liverpool’s biggest game for many many years.

grum
    Free Member

Bloody hell Liverpool!

Jamie
    Free Member

I think if the beat Wenger to 4th he could be on his way out.

I think the FA Cup has more significance on Wenger leaving. Although, as shown below, I think the end result is inevitable, it’s just how he gets there.

1. Win the FA Cup. He will leave on a positive, having finally won a trophy.

2. Get knocked out/lose the FA Cup. He will probably call it a day, and go read Japanese poetry under a hedge for a bit.

As an aside, as an Arsenal fan, I really don’t begrudge Everton getting into the CL instead of us. Might be tricky if there loan players get recalled, tho. As Lukaku, Deulofeu and Barry kind of put them in a false position in relation to their strength of squad.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The real dark horse of the race!

I keep seeing the results when I get up and I was surprised to see Everton winning, saw the goals and it was a bad day for Arsenal. The fun and games in Salford may keep Wenger in the job until he wants to go though.

I’d like to have seen Arsenal take it this year but things just seem to have fallen apart for them. After that Liverpool to win just to piss off the others up there is good enough.

At least there is something to watch for as a Newcastle fan, there might even be a trophy at St James this year (when they give it to Liverpool) but having 3 teams in it with 5 games to go is the best thing that could happen to the league. Much better than us not being content with 9th and battling hard for 10th.

gonzy
    Free Member

that since Peter Beardsley retired football really has been deprived of a proper bit of eye candy

really??

Junkyard
    Free Member

Might be tricky if there loan players get recalled, tho. As Lukaku, Deulofeu and Barry kind of put them in a false position in relation to their strength of squad.

Aye Everton have some real issues next season if they do get CL
    Squad too small and lacks quality in depth and their best players are not theirs- would they have enough money to invest? Could they get good enough players?
    Wengers interview seemed rather resigned almost like he feels like everyone else does – you wont win anything that way, Wenger where is the steel in the team?
    Been unlucky with injuries to be fair
    I think he will go as well tbh.
    What happened to him ? The early teams did not do ticca-tacca they had steel in midfield and pace out wide

martinhutch

What happened to him ? The early teams did not do ticca-tacca they had steel in midfield and pace out wide

If he still had the equivalent of Patrick Viera then that would be an option. There really aren’t that many midfielders of that type and quality around any more, sadly.

He still has pace out wide, but if you can’t draw players in the middle to counter your ‘steel’, or beat people outright in centrefield, they won’t have space to run at folk.

As a City fan, starting to brick myself about Anfield. Such an exciting season, stuff still going on at all parts of the table.

Jamie
    Free Member

If he still had the equivalent of Patrick Viera then that would be an option. There really aren’t that many midfielders of that type and quality around any more, sadly.

This. He never replaced the Patrick Viera/Gilberto Silva types.

The fact Patrick Viera made it known, he would have liked to come back to Arsenal and be on the staff, like he is now at Man City, pisses me off no end.

The biggest problem with Arsenal, is that it’s a very well run business. As long as this continues, what happens on the pitch seems secondary.

Junkyard
    Free Member

There are enough players out there it is just that he likes to buy the other kind of midfielder- Carzola, Ozil….the list goes one.

They may not be as good as Vierra – few are- but even Barry would improve their steel.
    Did i just say that

Perhaps financial stability is more important than winning but I always thought he had money and he never spent it

Oh and some decent strikers would help no end as well.

DrJ

Aye Everton have some real issues next season if they do get CL
    Squad too small and lacks quality in depth and their best players are not theirs- would they have enough money to invest? Could they get good enough players?

Yep, not easy, but I did see an interview w Roberto Martinez where he said that clubs are very happy to loan him players as they are getting experience of first team games in a team that (for now) values ball skills.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Yes I heard that as well – 5 live iirc- he has a point but it is is not a long term sustainable approach to challenge for the top honours. No offence lot of time for Everton and their fans [ far more reasonable than Liverpool fans IME of working there].
    Will he really replace players with ones of the same quality year on year on year.
    I doubt it but I wish them well.

binners

The one I can’t understand is Lakaku. Jose’s busy throwing his toys out of the pram about his lack of strikers ( I’m sure many toon fans and scousers are allowing themselves a wry smile about the failure of his £60 million+ strike force ), yet he’s still out on loan at Everton, having a great season!

It makes no sense. But then Chelski often doesn’t. I’m sure Martinez isn’t complaining. And Lakaku’s goal celebration on Saturday suggested a ‘please make this a permanent move!’ attitude towards Everton. Understandable. Getting games every week, under a quality manager, rather than warming the bench while the £50 million guy gets played, despite not being able to hit a cows arse with a banjo, just because… well… he’s the £50 million guy, isn’t he?

funkrodent

Getting games every week, under a quality manager, rather than warming the bench while the £50 million guy gets played, despite not being able to hit a cows arse with a banjo, just because… well… he’s the £50 million guy, isn’t he?

Yep, saw the Chelsea game and he looked barely interested. When Willian was making the run before his goal, Torres was to his right and the opportunity to make a run for Willian to slip a cheeky little through ball onto was there. But he just stood still on the edge of the box. So Willian just wellied it into the corner (great shimmy and finish). Torres didn’t celebrate initially, just looked hacked off.

As a gooner I have to say I’m gutted, but not surprised. Started out so well but haven’t been the same without Ramsey and once Walcott was ruled out soon after I thought we’d end up getting found out.

With regard to some of the comments above, Wenger’s initial success was indeed based upon steel in the midfield and defence with pace on the wings (Overmars in his pomp), but this was combined with an ability to retain possession intelligently and play expansive, attacking football. By the mid 2000s, with the invincibles and the run to the Champions League final we were playing a brand of possession pass and move that was the envy of Europe and was, dare I say it, the blueprint for Barcelona’s tiki-taka domination of the last 7-8 years.

Problem is you have to keep evolving. Players change, other teams work out how to nullify your tactics. We haven’t evolved enough and against the better teams (top 5 basically) we’ve been a poor second best. It seems to me that some of the best teams now, play a style of football that is not dissimilar to what we were doing in 97/98/99. History repeats itself.

Good luck to Liverpool. Great club, great team, great fans, playing great football. Hope they do it. If not Citeh!. Just as long as it’s not Chelski!

martinhutch

Good luck to Liverpool. Great club, great team, great fans, playing great football. Hope they do it. If not Citeh!. Just as long as it’s not Chelski!

This, really. Obviously I want City to win it, but TBH it would be a great consolation prize for Liverpool to take it if we muck it up. They’ve played some great stuff this season.

binners

That Arsenal squad at the time was awesome. It isn’t just Vierra in midfield. You had quality all over the pitch. Bergkamp, Henry, Overmars, Jungberg. I used to love the United Arse games at the time. Proper battles. Game of the season.

Game of the season this year is next weekend at Anfield. Both teams playing fast, attacking football. It’ll be a spectacle. I could see it finishing 6 – 4, or something daft. Though I wouldn’t like to predict who too. A proper season decider. Like the Man Yoo Arsenal games used to be.

Chelski are going to have difficulty offloading the Spanish sulker. He’s under contract for another 2 years, and his wage bill is over £9 million a year. I wouldn’t give him his bus fare home on the strength of this seasons performances! He looks like he’d rather be anywhere else than on the pitch. Like he genuinely can’t be arsed. No wonder the Special One let rip at him!

They won’t be able to give him away, unless its on some bonkers loan deal where they’re paying half his wages. Ba back to Newcastle, for a lot less than they payed?

I think Suarez should be looking at the sorry Torres saga when he considers his future at the end of the season. Is it really worth the lure of bonkers wages. There are more important things if you’ve got anything between your ears. Obviously as a United fan, I hope he’s off to Real 😉

loum
    Free Member

Everton have some real issues next season if they do get CL

It’s not the teams that make the CL that have these issues, it’s the ones that don’t.
    Top players wanted to go to Everton last summer without CL, it won’t be harder to persuade them with CL qualification. Their loans have been a massive success, It’s a great place to go as a pro footballer if they want you.
    It’s the teams like MU and Spurs that are gonna feel the difference trying to attract CL quality players (+managers? 😉 ) without CL involvement. And also finding the cash to pay the one’s they’ve got.
    Rooney back to Everton on a season long loan, you know it’s best for all involved, to be next year’s “Lukaku” deal.

And that’s just nonsense that their best players aren’t their own , Baines, Coleman, Jags, Stones, Howard, McCartey, Mirralas, Pieanaarr.
    And Barkeley 🙂

Jamie
    Free Member

And that’s just nonsense that their best players aren’t their own , Baines, Coleman, Jags, Stones, Howard, McCartey, Mirralas, Pieanaarr.
    And Barkeley

Who is their best striker?

loum
    Free Member

Sorry about the delay. Just seen the replay from the weekend victory. It was pretty unanimous that the centre forward Naismith was the best player on the pitch, so you can add him to that list if you like.

Stick by the fact that they’ve got the best pair of fullbacks in the league,
    centre backs good enough to keep clean sheets against Arsenal,
    attacking mids with a lot more goal threat than any of the pretty-pretty ones in the opposition ( injured Walcott excepted- awesome player and big loss to England too)
    and a keeper that continues to make a mockery of the millions spunked by whiskeynose on his replacements.
    All a bit irrelevent- Arsenal should still qualify though – Points on the board and easy run in.
    Who’s their best striker, btw?

Jamie
    Free Member

centre backs good enough to keep clean sheets against Arsenal,

While I am not questioning the talent of Jags, Baines, Colemean …and am a really big fan of Stones, having Arsenal attack you at the moment is like being punched by a kitten. So a clean sheet against them should not be a useful yardstick.

Lukaku.

Anyway, I am not hating on Everton. Just mentioning their loan players have been pivotal for them this season, so hopefully they can retain, buy or replace with similar quality.

funkrodent

All a bit irrelevent- Arsenal should still qualify though – Points on the board and easy run in.

Bendtner?

loum
    Free Member

Sorry, meant Arsenal’s.
    Which Kitten? 😉

walktheline
    Free Member

That post saying Everton will have more pull in the transfer market than Man U is total bobbins as the Mancs say. All of this Man U are finished carry on is getting too much now. Ok they won’t be in next year’s CL but let us not forget they have dominated the league for the past 20 years and are still the reigning champions. Everyone lourding it over them makes me very uneasy. Just read it again and it must be a joke? Man U struggling to pay wages? I would stake any money that even if Everton make the CL then Man U will still have more pull in the market, more for transfers and more for wages. If you think Man U won’t be back then you are dillusional.

Jamie
    Free Member

Sorry, meant Arsenal’s.

I imagine Thierry Henry….that’s 2014’s Thierry Henry.

As for kittens. Giroud on Sunday was pretty bad. I have seen glaciers move faster.

loum
    Free Member

Ok they won’t be in next year’s CL but let us not forget they have dominated the league for the past 20 years and are still the reigning champions.

Bit of an aside, but how long does a claim to be Champions last?
    They’re 17 points off the top with 15 points to play for.
    The season may not be over yet, but the table shows they’ve been knocked off that perch.
    It might be a bit early to talk about who are the Champions Elect, too many teams still in it. But United aren’t one of them.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

walktheline – Member
    That post saying Everton will have more pull in the transfer market than Man U is total bobbins as the Mancs say. All of this Man U are finished carry on is getting too much now. Ok they won’t be in next year’s CL but let us not forget they have dominated the league for the past 20 years and are still the reigning champions. Everyone lourding it over them makes me very uneasy. Just read it again and it must be a joke? Man U struggling to pay wages? I would stake any money that even if Everton make the CL then Man U will still have more pull in the market, more for transfers and more for wages. If you think Man U won’t be back then you are dillusional.

But it’s unlikely to be next year,or the year after that, or even the next ten,TBH.
    United are just too big and slow and lumbering to reverse a slide in a season or two, especially if they give the muppet another crack at running the team next year.
    If you were a promising young player with talent to spare, who would you trust to improve your game? Martinez or Moyes?
    Martinez has enough about him to attract players, in the same way Wenger had a few years back.
    It’ll be good to see both lots of Scousers mixing it up at the top again.
    (Chelsea fan here, but hating the way they’ve been run recently!)

Junkyard
    Free Member

If you were a promising young player with talent to spare, who would you trust to improve your game? Martinez or Moyes?

Well the everton team is mainly made up of home grown players or ones Moyes bought or developed
    Martinez is a great manager but Everton just do not have the pull of Man U.

I think you remain champions till the end of the season or at least until a new champion is declared so they are still the champions…not saying I agree with the tone of that post but simply answering the question
    i think we can all see the league table but they have not so much been knocked off as dived bombed off themselves in to the arms of Moyes 😉

The broad thrust of what they say is correct football these days is about money and also MONEY [ and a little tradition]
    Sadly everton have not enough money or global appeal to attract the best….may get better loan players is that what you meant 😉
    Man u and Arsenal are what 18 years in CL and Everton not once [ bloody Liverpool eh]
    No disrespect to Everton but look at how city did first year in Europe and then remember Blackburn rovers.

ransos
    Free Member

Ok they won’t be in next year’s CL but let us not forget they have dominated the league for the past 20 years and are still the reigning champions.

Liverpool supporters were saying that in April 1991…

Junkyard
    Free Member

Predictions of we will win it next year to 20 years of hurt say nothing more than what we hope will happen next

walktheline
    Free Member

The earlier measuring stick was CL places, they are 7 points off that. So if Everton finish above them for the first time it makes them higher up the pecking order? Obviously it’s all just opinion but that seems absolute nonsense to me. Last year’s form doesn’t mean everything as Liverpool fans know. I’ll say it again, the notion that Everton will be ahead of man U in the hunt for top players is absolute garbage. Suggesting that recent history is worthless without finishing in the top for is ridiculous aswel.

loum
    Free Member

Sorry about the mixed metaphors
    – It was the commentary at the weekend that highlighted to me that their “defence of the premiership” was over – no longer defending champions. As the Spanish waiter would say – fact.

We could split hairs over whether that means they’ve been “dethroned” from their “reign” but it’s not really important any more.

walktheline
    Free Member

Who really knows anyway. I just feel it would be unwise to completey write them off as a force. You never know how it’s going to pan out. Which is why the premiership is so exciting I s’pose.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 1,010 total)

The topic ‘Bloody hell Liverpool!’ is closed to new replies.