Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • employment advice
  • mrmo
    Free Member

The SO has just started a job, done two shifts and decided she can’t work with some of the staff, so rang up told the owner. The owner has come back saying as you haven’t given a weeks notice you’re not getting paid for the two shifts you have done.

This sounds a bit odd, my experience of probationary periods is that you don’t really need to give notice, that is the point, particularly after only two days.

The SO has said she can’t be doing with the hassle of chasing too hard, but legally who is right?

It is healthcare so being nice to staff is optional!

Drac

They only have to pay what you work.

It is healthcare so being nice to staff is optional!

Utter load of shite.

mrmo
    Free Member

Drac, they are saying they won’t pay what has been worked because insufficient notice.

SO has been in care long enough to have met enough residential home managers/owners who really don’t care about there staff.

Drac

SO has been in care long enough to have met enough residential home managers/owners who really don’t care about there staff.

I’ve worked in healthcare all my life as have most of my family to know that’s not true. Might be the case for some because of a manager but not all healthcare, knowing what I’ve done for several staff this weekend it’s far from the case.

mattyfez

They still have to pay for the two shifts – play them at thier own game, give a weeks notice, then call in sick, 5 days self certified.

tjagain

They have to pay for shifts worked

Gary_M
    Free Member

The SO has just started a job, done two shifts and decided she can’t work with some of the staff

She didn’t give it much of a go did she!

km79
    Free Member

She didn’t give it much of a go did she!

Sometimes you just know.

mrmo
    Free Member

Sometimes you just know.

exactly, and when the money isn’t great why bother putting up with $*** and the fact that the manager is threatening not to pay work done i think is a fair indicator of the nature of the place.

mickmcd
    Free Member

The owner has come back saying as you haven’t given a weeks notice you’re not getting paid for the two shifts you have done.

legally iirc until you have worked four weeks you don’t have to give any notice.

oh here you go

from the employment of all knowledge website

Statutory or contractual notice period
    There are two types of notice period: statutory and contractual. Statutory notice is the minimum legal notice that can be given. Employers should give the employee:

one week’s notice if the employee has been employed by the employer continuously for one month or more, but for less than two years

two weeks’ notice if the employee has been employed by the employer continuously for two years, and one additional week’s notice for each further complete year of continuous employment, up to a maximum of 12 weeks.

For example if an employee has worked for 5 years then they are entitled to 5 weeks’ notice.

scotroutes

Just work another three shifts?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘employment advice’ is closed to new replies.