Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Any mechanics in the house ?
  • hambl90
    Free Member

Hi guys

I have a problem with my 10 plate avensis 2.0d4d not starting. It’s happened twice in two days and I’m baffled as to what is causing it. It sounds like a dead battery turning the engine very slowly but I called out the AA and they checked the battery and alternator and said both were fine . I’m pretty sure that it is electrical because the clock and date on the display reset themselves and after a while the car starts OK. Can anyone shed some light on this please ?

Thanks

Ian

tjagain

Duff earth connection – either at the battery or between the engine and the chassis

spooky_b329

Agree. Easy way to check is to connect a jump lead between the engine block and the negative terminal of the battery as it creates a known good earth.

It could also just be a loose connection on either battery terminal.

chrisdiesel
    Free Member

Easy way to confirm if it’s a bad earth issue, borrow a jump star lead, when it fails to start Connect ONE end of one of the leads to the battery earth and the other end to the gearbox casing or engine casing, in effect making a new earth pathway, if it now starts if a bad earth!!!
    Don’t let this fault continue, because when your trying to start it and the earth is poor it will attempt to find an earth through all kinds of things I.e dash panels/wiper motors and eventually damage them
    Good luck

chrisdiesel
    Free Member

Sorry didn’t read the above post first, too early!!!

hambl90
    Free Member

Thanks guys, will try and borrow a jump lead from somewhere and give that a try.

hopkinsgm

…clock and date on the display reset themselves…

…suggests to me that the starter motor is struggling to turn the motor over and drawing all the power your battery can muster. Possibly hydrolock? If using a jump lead to provide a good earth doesn’t sort it, consider getting a compression test done to check your head gasket isn’t knackered.

hambl90
    Free Member

Quick update , just been to the car and it started 1st time so couldn’t check if it was the earth. Went to a local garage and they checked the battery and alternator again and all seems fine . They suggested I put the battery on charge and see what it’s like after that.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Any mechanics in the house ?’ is closed to new replies.