Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)
  • Emotional honesty and support: STW vs other forums
  • brooess
    Free Member

Just reading through Roadiesean’s post – especially his thankyou note and NZCol’s post.
    STW for all its faults is full of threads like that – people with pretty serious issues baring all and asking for help. And being given it in spades.
    Now I know this kind of thing goes on offline amongst good friends all the time so it’s not new behaviour but few of us on here know each other and giving to strangers isn’t something the UK seems to do too much of.
    I don’t spend time on any other forums so is this kind of openness and altruism a online thing (easier not doing it face to face) or is it something unique to STW?
    Great to see btw….

2wheels1guy
    Free Member

I like to think it’s unique.
    I’ve been using MBR for the last couple of years before coming here.
    From my experience there, anything the few ‘long-termers’ don’t like will get shot down, seems to be a chat room for a handful of folk.
    Much more intellectual & emotionally sensitive here.
    Good on ya STW.

sharki
    Free Member

It is great on the whole here.

emma82
    Free Member

Group hug?Come on, you know you wanna 🙂

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Did someone say hug??

allthegear
    Free Member

I know people on here have been pretty fab to me and now I can take this chance to say thanks!!

Rachel

sharki
    Free Member

I’m all hugged out and still feeling aroused by it all.

Oh gwan then.

emma82
    Free Member

No need for arousal Sharki, just good clean hugs. I love the STW massive, the awesomeness is astounding. I genuinely mean that. So can I have the biggest hug?? 😀

Kevevs
    Free Member

I’d like to think I’m one of the nice guys, but generally I can be a cynical/drunk type. This forum can certainly be a good thing. so…. er.. Good! Huuuuugs!

cinnamon_girl

Can I join in please?

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Hmm a cycling support group. I’m nervous about hugging other chaps. Let’s assume I’m hugging ladies 🙂

emma82
    Free Member

Tsy and sharki are actually women buzz, don’t be scared.

sharki
    Free Member

Buzz, you know me, don’t worry i’ll keep you safe.

Emma, ok it’s just my multitool should you feel something..

CG, come on in, the waters lovely.

cinnamon_girl

TSY seems to have dropped his ‘Sammie’ persona. 🙁

cinnamon_girl

Emma, ok it’s just my multitool should you feel something..

Lol! How you doin’ sharki? Still in that Scotchland?

aracer
    Free Member

For a bike forum – or even a male centric forum it’s way up there. mumsnet though is an obvious place which does similar levels of support, depending on what you’re asking (I’ve joined there in order to get the female perspective on some issues I wouldn’t dare to air on here, even with a name change).

Kahurangi

STW is like that. Small things will become off-tangent mickey-takes and mess-arounds but the serious issues are dealt with, with a surprising amount of empathy and emotion for a bunch of middle aged IT consultants and overweight engineers.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

C_G – How very dare you! I’m just playing at being Bruce for the night! 😀

emma82
    Free Member

Oh how exciting, is that where the phrase ‘is that a multitool in your pocket or are you just pleased to see me’ saying came from. I’m off to bed, the excitement is just too much.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I hate you all! Rotters, scoundrels and cads the lot of you.

aracer
    Free Member

Don’t worry TJ – we all hate you to.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Bounder

Kevevs
    Free Member

remember to deal with the serious issues…

Hohum
    Free Member

emma82 – Member
    Tsy and sharki are actually women buzz, don’t be scared.

Aye, right!

I was sucked into that as well 😉

This place is a great forum. If people post and genuinely have problems then there is a great response.

It’s lovely to see to be honest 🙂

sharki
    Free Member

emma don’t go.

It’s a leathermans. and i don’t mean i used an old roman form of protection.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

*Waves at ho hum* I’m up to a month now!!

Hohum
    Free Member

Well done TSY!

I am proud of you 🙂

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

But there’s the great conondrum. I’m having a huge personal problem but I know if I post on here I’ll get ripped to shreds!

All I want to know is what tyres for emotional stability???

Kevevs
    Free Member

but it sounds like a little clique. Forget that. type what you want… they are nice and knowledgable.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I’m a couple of weeks ahead of TSY. 8)

Hohum
    Free Member

deadlydarcy – Member
    I’m a couple of weeks ahead of TSY.

Well done to you as well.

It’s no fun kicking the habit, but it does get easier 🙂

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Congrats Darcy!

I’m really not bothered about ciggies anymore. Not even had any gum for a few days, got incredibly drunk Friday didn’t even cross my mind.

I do think that the funny smelling ones could proove very hard to avoid over the next fortnight or so though!

cinnamon_girl

Well done to all those kicking the habit. 8)

TSY – if you have an alternative then you haven’t really quit have you? So … don’t!

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

ohhhh, but my brother will be home and it’s Chhhrrrissssssssssssmaaaaassssssss!

sharki
    Free Member

In answer to CG.
    Yes i am. And in minus double figures and several inches of snow.

Fortunately i have the north sea as an escape route 100 yards from me.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

😆

I don’t really partake anymore TBH.

I was fine…just taking the odd lozenge here or there. Last week was a struggle. I was working on a site where loads of the guys were smoking. Every **** time I looked up, someone was rolling up or looking in the window at me while tabbing away. I was sucking sweets by the truckload. 😀

Got through it. I won’t lie though. Easy it wasn’t.

Hohum
    Free Member

The Southern Yeti – Member
    ohhhh, but my brother will be home and it’s Chhhrrrissssssssssssmaaaaassssssss!

I was going to email you, but you do not have an email address in your profile.

Be very careful with the above. It would be a shame to waste all of your hard work.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Can’t you just do a bong or something. The tobacco delivery system will get you. Honestly dude. Don’t trick yourself into thinking you’ve kicked it enough to just have a few over Christmas. I’ve been there!!

cinnamon_girl

Toffees.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Yeah you’re almost ceratinly right. The fact that I’ve been looking forward to the mere suggestion is probably an indication of just how bad an idea it really is!! 🙁

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)

The topic ‘Emotional honesty and support: STW vs other forums’ is closed to new replies.