Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 82 total)
  • Elfin's Tuesday Architectural Appreciation Thread! This week- Concrete.
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Are bricks not reasonably energy intensive also?

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Rachel Whiteread

glenp
    Free Member

The Coolhunter has endless fatastic buildings, a lot of them concrete.

duntmatter
    Free Member

Gary_C

TooTall
    Free Member

I’ll bite TooTall. Very few private houses in this country are made from concrete. Also, modern concrete framed buildings are have to pass stringent Building Regs for energy efficiency that are getting tighter all the time.

Missed the hook. Try again. It has nothing to do with private houses and Building Regs for efficiency. It has to do with the embodied energy in the building material. This might help explain:

Embodied Energy

Don’t forget that you can’t directly compare the figures as you use different quantities in construction. However, mass concrete isn’t very environmentally sound as a material.

leggyblonde
    Free Member

I understand embodied energy perfectly, but the initial build is only part of the lifecycle energy use of a building. Concrete also absorbs significant amounts ofCO2 as it cures and that link was cradle to gate. BTW, you’re the one who mentioned houses….

I’m no RC fanatic, I design buildings using most materials and (like most engineers) try to be as efficient as possible. However, often concrete is the best option.

aP
    Free Member

IMHO concrete can be considerably more environmentally sound than other materials – particularly if you’re doing things that have to hold other things up or back, and that need to last for a long time.
    Probably one of the least environmentally conscious building materials used in the last decade has been thin timber cladding which isn’t maintained, isn;t detailed properly and looks like poo within 6 months, and lasts for about 5 years. It may have low embodied energy but if it stops doing its function within such a short timescale then as far as I’m concerned its failed as a choice of material.
    Anyway…
    Brynmawr Rubber Factory – criminally demolished

le Corbusier – Philips Pavilion (hyperbolic paraboloid)

donsimon
    Free Member

The old Cheshire Police HQ, Chester.

Santiago Bernabeu

Not sure if you can see from the photo but the pitch itself is below street level. Inside the stadium is alot bigger than it appears on the outside.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

No arguing on my architecture thread please. If not like then go away not cause trouble for other people who enjoy.

aP is architect so knows stuffs.

Some wonderful examples of the sheer diversity of forms that can be created using concrete, and some stunningly mad structures!

Caymden Tahyn All:

Catholic Cathedral, Liverpool:

Guggenheim Museum, New York:

hyperbolic paraboloid

😯

No need to be so rude!

maccruiskeen

Carlo Scarpa

Carlo Scarpa

Carlo Scarpa

Carlo Scarpa

Carlo Scarpa

Carlo Scarpa

aaaaand… Carlo Scarpa

Bregante

Bregante

Bregante

schnullelieber
    Free Member

More National Theatre:

NT 05

mintimperial

Emley Moor Mast: tallest free-standing building in the UK, and tells me that I’m nearly home when I see her…

maccruiskeen

ahwiles
    Free Member

just to stir things up a little:

i like it.

(blue circle cement works, Hope – it looked very noble this evening)

julianwilson
    Free Member

I posted that ^^ the other week. Hi-5!

Underground Basilica de St. Pie X, Lourdes.

We had our wedding reception in this piece of brutalist retro-crete. 8)

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

My patio, no pictures but I need to lose 3m x 3m x 0.7m

and best of all, Elfin has offered to run the barrow while we shift it!

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

When, WCA? This weekend?

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Not yet, the builders still have their skip in the way from the kitchen extension.

I have managed to hide the first 1/2 ton of rubble in their last couple of skips but the next session is the real thing. I reckon a rented kanga and a 6 cubic yard skip or two should see the back of it. No more that 20 tons in total is the current guestimate.

Trust me, you will be called upon, my family don’t trust me with power tools any more and reckon my shoulders won’t cope with hard work

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

If I could link pictures to our holiday in Rome I could show you some great early concrete buildings

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

No probs. Just give me a shout when you need me.

Barbican Centre, London.

CountZero

Rather fond of this building, the Wiltshire and Swindon History Centre, in Chippenham. I just love it’s clean, uncluttered lines.

donsimon
    Free Member

Los Torres Blancas, Madrid

Where I learnt to swim, now called Wrecsam Water World.

*thinks about three Mini Coopers*

bigrich

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Don Simon I’m glad you posted the old police HQ at Chester, now it’s awfulness has gone the pink flats at Salmon Leap should be The next concrete carbunkles crushed in Chester. Gorgeous views looking out over the Dee just hope no one sees you though.

Sandwich

If the Brunel building is listed due to woodgrain effect will this also apply to the Flyover next to Edgware Road Tube Station? Scaffold board woodgrain all over that beastie.
    Also being pedantic the Shard has a concrete core for lifts etc. but will be steel and glass clad so not really eligible for this thread.

ocrider

Up the road courtesy of Zaha Hadid.

Doesnt look as skateboard/bike friendly as some of her other work

cynic-al
    Free Member

I went to see Preston Bus Station when a gf lived there (yep posted above):

maccruiskeen

I’ll see your Hope Cement works are raise you a Barcelona Cement works – now converted to housing

[img]http://twistedsifter.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/cement-factory-conversion-ricardo-bofill-barcelona-spain-28.jpg[/img]

with all the foliage it reminds me a bit of Cardross Seminary posted earlier – makes me wonder whether Urban Splash will make anything as interesting with the building or whether they’ll make something as soulless as their conversion of Fort Dunlop

warton
    Free Member

Newcastle Civic Centre

WackoAK
    Free Member

maccruiskeen – the Barcelona Cement works is superb. Reading up on it now!

Harry_the_Spider

That cement works is epic.

It reminds me of Palatine in Rome.

stumpy01

If the Brunel building is listed due to woodgrain effect will this also apply to the Flyover next to Edgware Road Tube Station? Scaffold board woodgrain all over that beastie.

Perhaps it is protected too?

Brunel lecture centre is genuinely protected – it was actually an intended feature of the building and not just a byproduct of the construction process.

donsimon
    Free Member

Don Simon I’m glad you posted the old police HQ at Chester, now it’s awfulness has gone the pink flats at Salmon Leap should be The next concrete carbunkles crushed in Chester. Gorgeous views looking out over the Dee just hope no one sees you though.

How dare you? Both I feel are function over form. The old Police HQ was a perfect example of the 1960s’ architecture.
    The flats at Salmoln Leap have an almost pefect view, only spoiled by the flats on the other side of the river, which neither add anything to the cityscape or provide the resident with anything positive apart froma flat within the city walls. I love the flats at Salmoln Leap as I did the Police HQ.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Stunning. Some amazing stuff posted here. Dispels the myth that concrete buildings are ugly, soulless depressing lumps.This has been very enlightening.

This wonderful building, the ‘Metal Box’ in Reading, is due for demolition. Which I think is criminal personally. It’s a brilliant example of a particular style of architecture, and ought to be preserved for historical reasons, imo. I suspect it will be replaced with some utterly soulless and unimaginative glass boxes, like everywhere else. Can’t stand the way that certain styles are preserved regardless of real merit, yet others simply brushed aside, wiping out history.

It’s a proper sexy 70s building. Just the sight of it evokes memories of pretty girls in bold pattered outfits, with nice hair…

The Metal Box is the Athena Tennis Girl of the building world. Might not have bin the greatest example of architecture ever, but has a cultural value and is part of the landscape of time.

midlifecrashes

There used to be quite a bit of concrete domestic housing, some crap, some doing just fine. I own this one, Laing Easiform construction, c1948. It will likely outlast me and isn’t showing any problems beyond what any older house might. Double skin poured in situ, solid as a rock, but don’t try drilling holes with mamby pamby cordless, SDS and a fresh bit every time.

Brand new, just up the road in Wakefield is the Hepworth gallery, another “Oh look at me I’m made of CONCRETE wankfest”.
    Drivel.

BB

I can’t believe their going to knock down that building (the Metal Box) in Reading. It’s one of the best bits of the place.

They should get rid of the god awful Apex Plaza instead….

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 82 total)

The topic ‘Elfin's Tuesday Architectural Appreciation Thread! This week- Concrete.’ is closed to new replies.