Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 82 total)
  • Elfin's Tuesday Architectural Appreciation Thread! This week- Concrete.
  • Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Ah, lovely, beautiful sexy concrete. One of Mankind’s greatest inventions, it could be argued. Composite building materials have been in use since the time of the Egyptians, and the Romans first introduced it to Britain.

So, let’s see yer concrete carbuncles. From the small to the tall, the simple to the most elaborate.

Once again, where else can I start??

Colechurch House, London Bridge:

Space House, Holborn:

National Theatre, South Bank:

GlitterGary
    Free Member

The multi storey car park in Gateshead that is no more…

😥

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I’ve got qualifications in concrete.

EDIT
    I do love a good powerfloated floor. Nice shiny concrete 🙂

Harry_the_Spider

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

HTS, is that the Stratosphere?

Harry_the_Spider

HTS, is that the Stratosphere?

Dunno.

Taff
    Free Member

Got a love hate with this building [and it’s occupants]. Can’t find a better picture of it either not that there are many flattering angles anyway

binners

Are they carved into it PP? Or was it cast?

A great big slab of it in Piccadilly Gardens, which I like.

And in the background the very concrete and truly hideous Piccadilly hotel. And something cool by the same architect:

j_me
    Free Member

Pantheon Rome c125 AD

Pieface

The Education factory (Leeds University) –

The ‘Easy Stoner’ building, Leesd Uni

Hyde Park flats, Sheffield (now demolished)

Drac

stumpy01

Dortmund TV Tower (it’s quite windy up there)

Brunel Uni Lecture Theatre (I believe it’s a listed building because of the wood-grain in the concrete):

EDIT – Oh Poo…..they’ve taken the link down or something…….
    Found another one….

I tried to find some more pictures of the ‘interesting’ Brunel campus buildings but couldn’t. I believe people find them too disturbing.

EDIT – Oh and some more Brunel-based Trivia. I believe the lecture theatre & Howell Building behind it are meant to look like a Spanish Galleon, when viewed in isolation. But, the buildings around it have encroached so much that you can’t stand far enough back to take it their full beauty.
    The sunken garden at the front of the lecture theatre was supposed to be a pond, further strengthening the Spanish Galleon (in water) thing. But, myth says that when it was filled it leaked and so they just left it empty.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Glenfinnan viaduct (as seen in Harry Potter). First structure in the world to use mass concrete technique apparently. Correct me if I’m wrong, but I think that all of the Roman buildings above are stone, held together with mortar

Pieface

t_i_m
    Free Member

Canary Wharf underground station

50p Building in Croydon

Better at night

Tricorn Center, Portsmouth

crazy-legs

Didn’t look quite as good in daylight…

Fiddlers Ferry Power Station in Warrington. My grandparents lived not far away from it so I’ve driven past it countless times. Horrible place but cooling towers have, for some strange reason always impressed me.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Oh look at all this lovely concrete! 😀

(Weeps at the beauty of it all)

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I think that all of the Roman buildings above are stone, held together with mortar

Apparently the Pantheon in Rome has the World’s largest unsupported concrete dome.

Nice to see the Italians continuing with the tradition of flamboyant stadia:

San Siro, Milan.

AlexSimon

AlexSimon

Todao Ando again:

Murray

Love the cooling towers – the shape is driven purely by function but is so “right”

Harry_the_Spider

Concrete ship!

AlexSimon

Anything by Santiago Calatrava

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Apollo Pavillion

Apollo Pavillion

aP
    Free Member

L’Eglise Saint Pierre – Firminy Vert

Cardross Seminary

School of Modern Dance, Cuba (not strictly concrete but still fantastic)

willard

Stumpy… I thought that the Brunel library was supposed to be a representative of the SS Great Britain? I also heard when I was there that it was built the wrong way round, but that could be legend.

ahwiles
    Free Member

i love concrete! – it’s ace stuff.

hoover dam:

lunge

and

Lovely Brummy buildings

plumber
    Free Member

Stoney Trail – Bow River Bridge Calgary

can’t find a decent picture of this bridge but it is very beautiful in the fleash so to speak

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Teh Scottish parliament building – very marmite but I think history will be kind to it as archtecture.

AlexSimon

Le Corbusier (I assume it’s concrete).

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Taff
    Free Member

Tricorn Center, Portsmouth

I have completely forgotten what that looked liked

Stu

Mancunian Way – it won a concrete award so it must be good:

fisha
    Free Member

I was going to say, the mancunian way … i used to walk past that sign everyday and wonder about it.

leggyblonde
    Free Member

Spinnaker Tower:

the Shard:

Concrete is awesome. I’ve just come back from a meeting for an RC building that I’m designing which is cantilevering out over a mainline railway tunnel in Camden.

TooTall
    Free Member

Terrible material. Shocking levels of embodied energy in the manufacture of concrete. A real shame that more people don’t give a toss about what their houses are made of – but they will slap a few solar panels on the top of it to make them feel a bit better.

ocrider

TSY – Prado skatepark? Best bit of French architecture on the thread so far.

molgrips
    Free Member

Gregynog Hall. Made of concrete apparently.

EDIT: it’s concrete clad, but this was apparently the first concrete house in the world, a worker’s cottage on the estate

leggyblonde
    Free Member

I’ll bite TooTall. Very few private houses in this country are made from concrete. Also, modern concrete framed buildings are have to pass stringent Building Regs for energy efficiency that are getting tighter all the time.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 82 total)

The topic ‘Elfin's Tuesday Architectural Appreciation Thread! This week- Concrete.’ is closed to new replies.