Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Elderly car exhaust problems
  • Militant_biker

I have a 23 year old Citroen AX. 2 years ago the exhaust was replaced, with a 3 year guarantee. Last week, the pipe snapped at a bend, so I took it back.

"It's an old car, we're struggling to get one to fit". Eventually, I get the car back, same silencer fitted, new centre section fitted, all good. Car is now really noisy at higher revs, not 'sporty', more like 'clapped out'. Performance is rubbish too. Took a closer look, and it looks like they've done some welding of sections to get it to fit.

So, do I take it back and insist on them returning it to the way it was the other week, which was pretty nippy and quiet, or do I abandon it and try and get a proper custom unit made?

Militant_biker

Damn, wrong forum! Sorry 🙁

Mr_Mojo
    Free Member

If they've welded it there could be either weld or crap on the inside of the exhaust pipe causing the exhaust gasses to be restricted. Higher the revs the more gasses are produced. This could be why the engine sounds rough as its not breathing properly.

I can't believe there is a shortage of exhaust parts for the AX, you could be getting fobbed off!

rs
    Free Member

😆 at getting a custom exhaust made for a 23 year old AX 😆

simonlovell999
    Free Member

Militant_biker – just did a google search on citroen ax

maybe this site – http://www.cats-direct-shop.co.uk/citroen-ax-exhaust-system.php

Militant_biker

Thanks. It's got no cat, most AX's do, so I can believe that it's a problem to get. Car only done 38,000 miles so quite happy to spend cash on it. It might be heading for a strip out for track use… 1.4 engine, weighs naff all 🙂

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Elderly car exhaust problems’ is closed to new replies.