Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 179 total)
  • Eeeeeek, just booked my first ski holiday. Help me plan for it please.
  • kennyp
    Free Member

Re my comments about wearing a helmet. If you want to then definitely do. Personally I find them uncomfortable and perceive the risk to be far smaller than when mountain biking. And I’m a pretty risk averse chap. But each to their own etc.

csb

A comfy helmet is a lovely warm thing. Look daft with glasses though. Useful for protecting against prematurely lowered lift bars.

singletrackmind

My mates misses never wore a helmet.
    Till she fell over on the first morning of a ski holiday and bumped her head.
    Enough brain damage to incur short term memory loss.

geomickb
    Free Member

Decathlon is good for kit. You can wear anything on top (fleece and then hardshell) but you need ski specific trousies to fit over your boots.

I bought a cheap helmet pretty quickly, rentals were pretty grim (and usually black so absorb the sun).

You might need two outfits (base and thin windproof only on hot days) because some days will be like summer and others winter.

Guaranteed that you will want to go every year after this.

If you are going to be carrying more than one set of skis (might end up carrying the kids ones) then a velcro strap can be handy to keep them together.

I take a cafe lock and lock my skis when I am in a restaurant. If someone takes them (probably accidentally) it will be a right pain reporting to the police so you can claim (happened to some friends).

Enjoy!

rockhopper70

I am mindful that this might be the start of something regular (and costly) but at the moment it is just an itch I need to scratch.  The kids, 17 and 21 (yes, terrible names 😂) can carry their own stuff!

I also never really conceived that it could be warm…why wouldn’t the snow melt if it is?

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Because there is blooming loads of it ….. or should be!? ! fingers crossed…. the “base” builds up over the the winter.

Bit like north n south poles but because of altitude rather than latitude

tillydog
    Free Member

I also never really conceived that it could be warm…why wouldn’t the snow melt if it is?

With any luck, it’ll be warm most of the time – the air temperature is still quite cold, but the sun will be beating down on you for much of the day and it will feel like T-shirt weather (like I said – with any luck! 🙂 )

Once you lose the sun (cloud cover, skiing in shadow, early / late in the day) it gets very cold very quickly, so you need to be prepared (a buff, or balaclava or something to cover your neck/mouth is something I haven’t seen mentioned above).

If the air temperature goes above zero, then the snow will start to melt – it’ll almost certainly be getting slushy by the end of the day on the lower slopes which makes skiing a bit less pleasant. This re-freezes overnight and the piste bashers go over it to mash up the surface and hopefully stop it getting icy. (Ice patches are very unpleasant.)

You need to shop around for insurance – last time we went, we found the Crystal / Tui own insurance to be decent value for one week – certainly be worth checking.

(P.S. We will be in PT the same week as you, but not at the same hotel.)

ayjaydoubleyou

Buffs – I got a fancy magnetic one (attached to underside of goggles) in ‘22 as you were required (covid) to cover your nose and mouth in lift queues. Although any cheap buff will do the same with a bit more effort.
    Have my nose/mouth covered 99% of the time I’m outside on skis now, even in ‘warm’ and sunny conditions. Regulate your temperature with your torso clothing as necessary.
    No more silly tan lines, windburn, chapped lips or runny nose.

Helmets – I was one of the last hold outs, while you are unlikely to hit the floor with your head while skiing, everyone else wearing helmets provides some solid obstacles moving around at head height. So in that way, they have made it more risky.
    if you are renting, take a thin buff/skull cap.

snotrag

@rockhopper70

I am a die hard mountain biker through and through and I’d give up many things in life before bikes BUT – sitting in a deck chair, 3000ft up a mountain, having a coffee/crepe/vin chaud/half a lager, wioth your jacvket roiund your waist, sunnies on, blue sky, sun beaming down warming your face, is just about one of the most incredible feelings and it WILL stick with you.

My last ski Trip was 2018, whilst my partner was pregnant feels like a lifetime ago, but I really would love to be able to go one day with my boy – its too late this year but I think we might try get him learning at Castelford over summer and go next year, hoping that he takes to it as a 6 year old. Mum can take or leave it, but I’d sacrifice summer holidays for a ski trip once or twice a year easily – I just need someone to go with!

It was my Dads last trip in 2018, he’s too worried about his knees now, but I loved Skiing with him. Wore him out m a few times mind, be my turn one day I guess! You will love it.

toby1

There’s no need for a helmet at all.

I broke one of the retaining ‘bars’ in mine last year, while falling over and hitting my head on the side. I was glad the lid took the impact.

As a learner, you’ll want to do one thing, leaning back/towards the hill, the sooner you get out of this the better.

I didn’t ski/learn till about 12 years ago, it’s without a doubt my favourite holiday of every year, I LOVE being in the mountains and skiing is just amazing fun.

As for letting your son take a down padded coat (the Canada Goose comment), he won’t be needing that in Italy in late March!

Kramer
    Free Member

I think that helmets for skiing are the same as helmets for cycling.

Essential for children who have softer heads, and for adults in high risk situations (racing, skiing off piste), probably of limited benefit for adults in lower risk situations (pisted skiing on reds and blues), despite the inevitable anecdotes about people who were told that they’d definitely be dead/disabled/paralysed now by a doctor in a ski resort when they suffered an injury.

snotrag

I’f im skiing thne more than likely I will want to wear a hat, to keep my head and ears warm. I might aswell make it a really good, storng, warm hat!

Ro5ey
    Free Member

I’ve been wearing a helmet since 1999 after “coming around” in the back of what turnout to be a Heuy being flown down the hill with the “air paramedic” looking over me in a mirrored visor !! One of my first clear thoughts was this is sooo cool if I turn out alright….. Sorry I digress ….  Snotrag’s logic is the best I’ve ever heard.

johnny

I think most people have covered the essentials, regarding cheap kit (Ebay, Decathlon, TK Maxx) lip balm and the advantage of a few lessons beforehand.

i’d also add- definitely wear helmets- you might not fall hard enough, but chairlift bars hurt, and the rail of a ski falling over/ your chidren dropping them on you is pretty sharp.

Also, as you are in Italy, there is no excuse not to stop for a Bombardino: https://club-vino.co.uk/bombardino-what-is-it-and-how-do-i-make-the-best-bombardino/

Bunnyhop

Ah yes the helmet debate.
    My friend hit the deck a couple of weeks ago when a snowboarding instructor took her out early in January. On the same holiday I hit a hidden obstacle at the base of an unpisted red (in falling snow) with flat light, going otb. We both really whacked our heads.

Drink plenty of water. It’s easy to get dehydrated up in the mountains when taking exercise.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Helmets – I’ve clattered my head properly twice in 6 years.

Once was in fog/cloud when my brain did a backflip and decided horizontal was vertical and vice-versa and I took a lie down whilst going faster than I realised. Completely my fault.

The other was last year skiing down a wide empty blue when a teenage french lad literally tried to ski through me from behind. The first I was aware of it was when the back of my head bounced off the piste. Regularly bashed snow is pretty hard. I saw stars… No lid and I think I’d had been out for the count.
    (he stopped, checked I was OK, brought my skis back to me then FOed pronto)

Kramer
    Free Member

How many of those of you who love skiing in the Alps have tried mountain biking outside bike parks in the Alps?

I really enjoy skiing, but riding in the Alps is sublime.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

With any luck, it’ll be warm most of the time

Heretic

tillydog
    Free Member

Heretic

I re-read my post just after I sent it, and almost edited it to say *feel* warm most of the time, but thought ‘nah’.

We don’t really want it to *be* warm, just feel warm.

Bunnyhop

True story- many years ago, skiing with snow heads in April, it was so warm, that a guy took off his top, then popped his lift pass through his nipple ring and enjoyed the spring conditions. 

diggery
    Free Member

How many of those of you who love skiing in the Alps have tried mountain biking outside bike parks in the Alps?

I’ve raced DH, ridden enduro, done some extensive hike a bike and explored in the Alps.

I’ve also raced on skis, skied off piste extensively including hiking and touring.

I’m a much better skier than rider, and a dry slope is fun (I enjoy racing) but such a poor imitation to snow so for me, snow every time.

Edukator
    Free Member

I’ve MTBed on alpine x-c routes, nice views and not so inspiring riding, bof. I’ve been meaning to do the Kônigsee to Gardasee  transalp route for years but probably never will what with the guided supported tours now being e-bike. Pyrénees similar, I prefer riding the trails in the foothills which offer crusing around with the odd descent the kids have worked on. Ainsa is far more fun than anything high up.

I know I should wear a helmet but don’t except when competing and I haven’t done that since age 55.

kennyp
    Free Member

A few years ago (at Andermatt in Switzerland) we hired fat bikes. They take you on the Glacier Express a few miles up the valley then you get off and ride down the floodlit ski slopes, sliding around on the snow. Then repeat. It’s all done at night when the skiers are in the bars. Brilliant fun.

singletrackmind

Yep
    Me and dezb hired 2wd fat ebikes in the Alps.
    Unbelievable what you could ride up and down.
    Also been to the PDS in the summer, loved it. But your brain needs a reset as weight is not an issue with the lifts doing the work

rockhopper70

We had the first of the two lessons last night at SnoZone. Just a three hour session for level 1 & 2 and then back again in a couple of weeks for 3 & 4. The kids, perhaps not surprisingly, seem to take to it ok but I found it a bit frustrating and the snow plough, and trying to turn with a snow plough was unnatural. For some reason I couldn’t turn right.

Chatting in the car on the way home about my frustrations and asking them how they did it, it appears that the daughter was doing parallel turns so was weighting the opposite leg I was for any given direction.

I suspect they may be away sooner than me on the slopes, which is cool. I may have to track them from a mountainside restaurant.

And, the kit list has extended as the hire helmets were a bit dodgy, very ill fitting so I’m not expecting much better for rental helmets in resort. This has been flagged previously so we are probably going to get helmets.

phil5556

I haven’t skied for 10 years (I snowboard now) but if she’s weighting the opposite ski to you when turning one of you is doing it wrong I think…

Both parallel & snow plough turns you need the ski on the outside of the turn weighted, the one that will become the downhill ski by the end of the turn. And yes the snowplough will feel unnatural, you’re learning something new.

Stick at it, you’ll get there, kids learn quicker. You’ll provably have a couple more frustrating ways ahead of you and then you’ll be away. Enjoy it!

alpin
    Free Member

Decathlon for helmets.

And wear a helmet. Only time I’ve knocked myself out whilst wearing a helmet was on the slopes…. Going along at walking pace and caught the back edge of the board. Smacked my head on the snow, lay there for not quite sure how long. Had a massive crack on the back of the helmet.

Other reason for helmets is the number of other people out on the slopes.

rockhopper70

Helmets have been commented about on this thread which has been very helpful. To put that particular point to bed, we have decided that we will be wearing helmets. I fell over getting off the ruddy button lift and ended up on my side with others stepping over me, so it’s a no-brainer for me.

kilo

Decathlon for helmets

I had to go to decathlon for ski trousers yesterday – very little stock of ski kit, no doubt season end change over. Used mountain warehouse mail order instead.

I have been told I am going ski-trekking, which will be fun as I can’t abide skiing.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Still trying to puzzle this one out. I presume almost all, but could be wrong

I really enjoy skiing, but riding in the Alps is sublime.

No way is MTB of any sort as good as a decent off piste ski/ ride in decent fresh snow.

😉

oldtennisshoes

Other reason for helmets is the number of other people out on the slopes.

This is one of the main reasons I wear one – protection from other folks helmets 🙄

Well that and being twatted on the head by poma and T-bars at Cairngorm

franksinatra

Really curious that helmets are still being debated. I was in Flaine a couple of weeks ago and I would say 99% of people on the slopes wear wearing helmets. The only people who were not were all over the age of 60.

Even if you are confident in your own ability, its the other people on the slope you need to worry about.

I bought a Decathlon helmet with integrated visor. Don’t make that mistake. We had one day of wet snow / drizzle. The water ran down the front of the helmet, behind the visor and pooled on top of the foam seal at the bottom of the vizor. Just buy a normal helmet with separate googles.

Sui
    Free Member

Helmet -Yes
    Goggles – please get decent ones, persimmon (sp) are really good for iffy conditions, yellow if it gets mega flat (light) -with polarising this time of year.
    Cheap ski wear – wasn’t TKMax the place to go, other than that Decathlon or the bay. I’d say try and get the most waterproof trousers you can as you’ll be spending plenty of time on your butt!

Answer q above about MTB in Alps vs ski and parks vs natural – I’ve done lots of hike a bike (and boarding) stuff, generally avoid the parks unless I’m tired or just want a bit of a play. I’ve had fantastic holidays doing both, but there is just something about mountains in Winter that is uber fun. Austria is best for that I’ll add..

tonyd

Didn’t read the whole thread but am amazed the helmet debate hasn’t reach full thread closing rage by now!

I took the kids to Mayrhofen first week of Feb and it was unseasonally warm. We had bag fulls of layers and barely used any of them (still a good idea to have them of course!). Since the kids are still growing (13 and 14) and this was their first trip I bought kit from eBay. Got some very nice kit for not much money, if I get my arse into gear and get it back on eBay I reckon I’ll get most or all of my money back.

OP – take whatever layers you have, sounds like your jacket will do you. A few pairs of long socks and a couple of buffs. Winter biking gloves will probably be OK, especially if you are ski-ing versus boarding, maybe take some liners just in case it gets nippy. I wouldn’t bother with goggles, just take the riding glasses you have. IMO goggles are complete overkill unless the weather is cold and/or you are off piste in powder.

Helmet, recommended as protection against others as much as yourself. I didn’t wear one this trip because I was just pootling with the kids but I only saw a handful of folks on the mountain without helmets all week. Sensible folk.

Make sure you take factor 50 sunscreen for face, ears, neck, and some lip salve with SPF. Chances are you’ll spend the week hotter than colder. Spring ski-ing is lovely, have a great time!

Speeder

Just for reference – Glasses ok for skiing but not snowboarding. They’ll get ejected at the first heel edge catch and you’ll never see them again.

toby1

On the lessons front, it’s completely unnatural as an adult to lean downhill, all of our risk assessment and brain training tells us to all to the closer ground (i.e. leaning uphill). Kids (although yours are more young adults I think) have a less concern of leaning downhill.

There’s a lot that is counter-intuitive with skiing, I say that having learned as an adult.

As for cornering a friend recommended the idea of leaning down to pick up litter on the corner i.e. litter on the downhill side.

By the end of week 1 of lessons on my first holiday I was full of over confidence and flying down the mountain, I’ve had more lessons since though and correct some of incredibly crappy style.

TheDTs
    Free Member

+1 on ski v bike. I ride to stay fit for skiing!
    Technique, loads of stuff on YT. Look at Deb Armstrong beginners stuff and Darren Turner.

alpin
    Free Member

No way is MTB of any sort as good as a decent off piste ski/ ride in decent fresh snow.

Yeah, but how often do you get those perfect conditions? Especially in the resorts…. Compacted, icy pistes with a load of other people, lift queues.

Only way to get those conditions semi-consistently is to live close to the slopes, be flexible/retired so that you can jump at the chance and be prepared to do some hiking/touring to get up high above the valley floor and away from the crowds.

Mate keeps posting pics from Tuxertal/Zillertal. He’s got a hut at 1500m and goes on long tours in search for powder. He sent some pics of the valley and it was green with a few white stripes leading to the valley floor.

Bikes can be ridden in all weathers, get you further away from the crowds and if you do want to go to the bike park a lift ticket doesn’t set you back 60+€ for the day….!

Edukator
    Free Member

Yesyerday was the first powder run of the season with enough base to make it safe here. Our Winter is getting like an English Summer, blink and you’ll miss it.

Hardly any of Junior’s ESF colleagues wear a helmet. I’ve seen him wearing one once this year for a high level class on an icy day. On a busy piste I rely a lot on my ears, even with the vents open I can’t hear as well in a downhill helmet. Then there’s risk compensation. In short I haven’t put one on this year.

As for your worries about the snow plough, OP, don’t worry about it feeling clumsy, it always will. Less clumsy more dynamic skiing is just a few lessons away but your instructor wants you to be able to steer and control your speed so you’re safe before going further..

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 179 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.