Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 153 total)
  • Edinburgh Trams – should they just ditch the whole idea?
  • ojom
    Free Member

Having visited a number of quite amazing cities with a proper intergrated transport solution I am still unsure (like TJ) why they are bothering with a half hearted attempt.

You either invest this type of money in something that actually works for real people to use or do what they seem to be doing and offering an alternative to a bus… nothing more.

To expect a non english speaker to arrive in Edinburgh by plane and navigate several seperate non linked transport systems is just daft.

Just try it next time you go abroad. The places that work and grow and become centres of capital and business are the ones where everything ‘works’ seamlessly. Travelling through Switzerland, Germany and Holland are exercises of joy.

Travelling anywhere from Edinburgh by any type of public or private transport is just simply harder than it needs to be. The current tram plan will do nothing to solve this.

With TJ on this.

(Plus the tracks are lethal to cyclists 🙂 )

epicsteve
    Free Member

Given the limited nature of the trams I just can’t see how the cost stacks up compared to having an airport train station, which seems like the obvious solution – especially given the train lines which are already near the airport.

Talking about this in the office and of our 40 or so staff think the trams are anything other than lunacy. Even that one admits the only reason he likes the idea is because he lives in Costorphine and will be able to use the trams to get into town on occasion. Even though we all use the airport and trains a fair bit it doesn’t sound like anything thinks they’ll actually use them to get to the airport (other than the same chap in Costorphine) – primarily because none of the rest of us live anywhere near the tram route.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I don’t know why you think my argument is ridiculous. I want a true integrated transport solution and this is not it.

The railway station on the airport estate would have been a good idea.

I think it is absurd that the trams do not interface with either the rail or airport properly and I believe it is absurd to defend this half hearted and half baked compromise as good enough. Look at waht I posted about travelling form Glasgow, Stirling or North Berwick to the airport by train.

Stu_N

But it is a start, and better than the current state.

imnotverygood

I’m with TJ! What this tram project needs is much more money thrown at it.

I believe the phrase is cost/benefit analysis.

Just out of interest. Given the limited number of tram stops there are going to be: How far do you think people with limited mobility will be travelling in order to get to a stop to get on the tram. I rather think the 150 metres of covered walkway at the airport end will be the least of their problems.

rs
    Free Member

TJ, we all want an integrated transport system but its ridiculous because you seem to think anything is possible when in fact there are a lot of constraints associated with what you want which have already been outlined above! Yes it would be nice to have everything connected within the same building without having to use stairs or go outside but its not possible at waverley at least. I’m not sure about the airport situation but a little walkway is hardly the end of the world.

There are far greater issues with the tram solution like the fact its nothing more than a glorified bus service and still has to conflict with traffic on cross streets. It will do very little to reduce car trips into the city centre which should be the main aim in my eyes. Trips to and from the airport are small change compared with everyday peak hour commuter trips.

druidh
    Free Member

At the airport end, it goes pasty the Ingliston Park and Ride and RBS, so it could reduce car journeys by a reasonable amount – on that route.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

stu – its not that is the problem. No matter what is done in the future it will never integrate with the railways or airport properly

If Waverley really is impossible for integration between rail and tram to do then why not at the gyle? Or around murreyfield?

The shoretcomings of the present design will always be there – it will remain impossible to transfer from a train to the tram easily, it will still be that when you catch a train from Stirling you have to go all the way into edinburgh to catch the tram back out despite actully passing within a few hundred yards of the runway, same for Glasgow.

My view it should be like the Manchester setup – capable of running on railway as well as on rails on the street, it should interface properly with the railways at some point and there should be some way of getting quickly from the airport to Glasgow and Stirling.

The money saved by not building dedicated track from wherever it joins the railway to the airport could have been used to sort the airport link out.

Its badly designed with built in flaws that cannot be sorted later

Its not that I believe it needs more money its that the wrong priorities are being tackled. it should be the basis for an integrated transport system not a stand alone sytem that does not integrate properly

imnotverygood

By the way. you don’t have to go all the way into Edinburgh to change to the rail network. There is an interchange at Edinburgh Park.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

imnotverygood
    Not all trains stop there either stirling or Glasgow – is that going to alter?

Is the tram right next to the rail?

druidh
    Free Member

The lines are adjacent at Edinburgh Park (well – Hermiston Gait) so it’s just a change of platform.

As for the distance needing to be traversed between the tram and airport terminal, it’s less than the distance from one end of the terminal to the next and a hell of a lot less than trying to negotiate yourself between terminals at, say, Heathrow.

I think the whole thing is a waste of time and money – a joke perpetrated on the Scottish people by the unionist politicians – but there’s no need to over-egg the failings.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

So we’re all agreed then – it’s a complete and utter waste of money and should be scrapped?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

druidh – my point is with a bit more imagination it could have been a lot better.

imnotverygood

No TJ: With more money it could have been done a lot better. Don’t confuse the rail link with the tram project. The former was a separate project which was scrapped on the grounds of cost by the SNP government. & if you are worried by the distance from the terminal, the rail station would have to be even further away on technical grounds: Somewhere near (on) the driving range. The alternative would have been to dig a train tunnel under the runway & that really is opening up a vast money pit.

druidh
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member
    druidh – my point is with a bit more imagination it could have been a lot better.

perhaps you would like the tram to do a complete circuit within the terminal building too?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

imnotverygood

I am not confusing the two. I believe that using vehicles like the nmanchester trams they could have been integrated and both a rapid transport system and rail link could have been done.

Edit – what you say about the tunnel shows exactly the poverty of imagination that has bedevilled this project.

Its been “we can’t do this” and “we can’t do that” right from the begining.

Can you imagine any other european country installing such a comprimised system? if its worth doing its worth doing properly

Orange-Crush
    Free Member

The last time I looked the route completely bypassed Corstorphine.

Possibly for good reason as it has 3 very good bus routes to the city.

Or are we using a “Ryanair” definition of Corstorphine?

imnotverygood

TJ you may have noticed that the tiny non-controversial bit about the trams (& other public projects) is the cost.
    Digging under the runway was going to be immensely expensive. There a load of old mine workings and other nastys which mean huge expense to do it: (& risk that the runway might subside thereby closing the airport. It ain’t lack of imagination that stops these things being done but cost.
    Personally I would love to see the airport directly connected to the rail network & a city-wide tram network which would mean that the congestion charge which the council imposed would be uncontroversial because everyone would be using public transport or cycling. Unfortunately there is an inconvenient thing called fiscal & political reality & it ain’t gonna happen. I actually support the idea of the trams but I rather fear the financial constraints mean that it will end up being a single line white elephant.

molgrips
    Free Member

Can you imagine any other european country installing such a comprimised system?

Christ yes! Ever been to Paris? Helsinki doesn’t have a rail or tram link of any kind from the airport.

Europe’s not all fabulouslessness you know.

radoggair
    Free Member

and can i just say that its just a matter of time before my 23mm tyres slide into a tram line on Princes street and i go arse over tit. Totally unbike friendly

radoggair
    Free Member

hey i said itt ( anagram) and it gave me 4 ****’s . itt (anagram is 3 ***’s ) tit = see

imnotverygood

and can i just say that its just a matter of time before my 23mm tyres slide into a tram line on Princes street and i go arse over ****. Totally unbike friendly

You should be glad the council is giving you the opportunity to hone your bunny hopping skills.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

imnotverygood

You completely miss my point. It this money could have been spent better. I am not asking for

the airport directly connected to the rail network & a city-wide tram network

What I think they should have done is built the core of a workable integrated transport system. What is being built can never be this as it does not integrate properly. Now if that means the scope would be less then so be it. At least we would have the start of something good instead of a hopeless compromise that can never be integrated

imnotverygood

What I think they should have done is built the core of a workable integrated transport system

What? You mean something like an integrated station in a tunnel underneath the airport, but don’t actually run trains to it because you can’t afford to put in the line?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Molgrips –

Can you imagine any other european country installing such a comprimised system?

I know not everywhere has an integrated system but if Paris was going to install one do you think they would have a dedicated tram that went from a couple of hundred yards from the airport into the centre and did not interface with the metro or main line trains?

druidh
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member

I know not everywhere has an integrated system but if Paris was going to install one do you think they would have a dedicated tram that went from a couple of hundred yards from the airport into the centre and did not interface with the metro or main line trains?

But the Edinburgh Tram would integrate with the mainline trains – at Edinburgh Park and at Haymarket. What exactly is your point?

And it’s not a couple of hundred yards from the airport, it’s within the airport – just not actually inside the terminal building. That’ll be just like the taxis, buses and private cars then?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Druidh – it does not integrate properly at haymarket

at the airport taxis . buses and cars drop you directly outside the terminal not a couple of hundred yards away as the tram will. Thr tram should be better than this

Think about coming by train from the east or north to the airport for a lack of integration

Northwind

druidh – Member

“As for the distance needing to be traversed between the tram and airport terminal, it’s less than the distance from one end of the terminal to the next and a hell of a lot less than trying to negotiate yourself between terminals at, say, Heathrow.”

Bingo. Sure it’d be nice if it was closer but that doesn’t mean the planned location is a problem. It’s still very close and convenient. Closer than most people would be if they drove and parked. And quicker no doubt than getting the bus or a taxi or a lift to the dropoffs at peak time when the whole place turns into a logjam.

imnotverygood

TJ
    Let’s just review the situation. One of us is missing the point. Let us examine the faint possibility that it may not be me.

zulus has started a thread the gist of which is that the trams are too expensive. This is a sentiment which is widespread in Edinburgh, even amongst those of us who are broadly supportive of the idea.
    Your solution to this is to suggest that we should actually be spending even more money than we are now: firstly to solve the problem that people will have to walk a couple of hundred yards at one end of the system when thay will almost certainly have to walk even further to get on the trams at the other. Your second solution doesn’t actually relate to the trams per se but in as much as it has been thought about has been abandoned because of cost considerations.

I will repeat. This isn’t about lack of imagination, it is about what you are proposing isn’t politically acceptable primarily because the cost just doesn’t justify the benefit. The things you suggest are desirable, they are just not cost effective. You are proposing to spend an awful lot more money on something of limited utility & which is already way over budget. This isn’t a lack of foresight, it is just economics.

Stu_N

1) It does not integrate with Waverley – that is true, but given the site of Waverley it’s not really surprising.

2) It does not integrate with Haymarket. Total BS. The tram stop is right outside and next to the station. To take it into the station you’d need to build two more platforms. Platform 0 and the carpark are apparently earmarked for high speed rail so that’s not practical, and there is every chance that the station will be expanded to include the tram lines in the medium term.

See the map on page 2 of this http://www.haymarketinterchange.com/img/thebasecase.pdf

3) It doesn’t go to the airport. Again, BS. The stop is going to be alongside the coach stops and multistorey carpark. Which end of the tram you’re on will probably make a significant difference to distance to the terminal door. Given the distance out to the extremes of the terminal the walk from the tram is going to be nothing. Speculation only, but nothing to stop the airport expanding towards the tram station in future is there? And if the tram stop was closer (though hard to see how much closer it could go) that might limit options.

4) Rail link. How many people would, get the train to the airport from outside Edinburgh? Given the paucity of services in early morning and late evening it’s not going to be much good for the business market, and for leisure travellers it will almost always be cheaper and less hassle to drive. Nice idea, but unnecessary and uneconomic IMO.

5) Paris. You’ve clearly never been to Charles de Gaulle. It’s a total disaster zone. If that’s your example of an integrated transport network then I really do despair.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

My main problem with the trams project is that it represents incredibly poor value for money and isnt going to benefit the city in a way that more than half a billion quid should do.

AlasdairMc

TJ – how many other supposedly ‘integrated’ transport systems have you been on?

I say this because you cite steps as a pitfall at Waverley. You can get from Princes St level to the railway concourse without going down any steps, it’s how the taxis get in. There are lifts to every outlying platform as well.

In terms of airports:

Edinburgh Airport is a compact airport, the gates are relatively close together. From arriving in the airport on an inward flight, there is a small escalator to navigate down to arrivals which has a lift.

If I travel to London City Airport (as I did today), I have to go up a flight of stairs and down another to get to the main entrance, then up an escalator to a DLR train. Don’t even mention the integration with the Underground, you need a fair set of legs to walk around the Underground and only a few have lift access.

If I go through Heathrow, as I regularly do, I have to walk at least a quarter mile from the arrival gate, then down two escalators, then walk another couple of hundred metres to the Heathrow Express to finally take me to Paddington and the National Rail network and Underground.

I think the London transport system is excellent, but it’s still inconvenient if you’re mobility impaired.

My point is that you’re bemoaning a short walk and expecting the entire airport be redesigned around that short walk. It’s just not going to happen and the inconvenience doesn’t justify the cost.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Guys

I did not at any point advocate spending more money

I did not use Charles de Gaulle as an example of good practice

I recently have used both Amsterdam and Geneva both far better examples of integration of transport systems

It simply does not integrate properly at haymarket – its complete bullshine to state it does. Integeration means you travel from one to the other easily witout going outside, Instead it will be a series of bridges, walkways and stairs with lifts available. You will not be able to get straight onto trains running from Edinburgh east or south

At the airport it should be directly outside / underneath / alongside the terminal building not a couple of hundred yards away. thats just stupid. It would not cost a significant amount more to have it next to the terminal. So people wanting to get a tram will have to go outside, cross roads and use a covered walkway to get to the tram.

its far too much of “you can’t do this” and “you can’t do that” its a farce to spend all this money adn have something with such poor funtionality. Because the integration and functionality is so poor then it will not be used.

As for the rail link – many folk would use it. people regulaly use the rail link to manchester airport from Scotland as you can get a direct train to the airport. Other cities the train links are common.

Just because London is rubbish why should edinburgh be rubbish? have you no ambition? do you not want to do it better?

I say again – I do not advocate spending more money – I advocate spending the money more wisely. This is no basis for an integrated transport system for the 21st century and can never be so its so badly designed. I would rather a more limited system that actually did something properly rather than this half hearted botch. Why not use trams that are also railway cariges like in Manchester?

Unlike most of you I use public trransport regulalry – both in the UK and when abroad. Th

rs
    Free Member

I take it you couldn’t sleep till you got that off your chest 😆

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

working night shift – that was how I spent my break. sad.

Off to bed now – please do not disturb

molgrips
    Free Member

It would not cost a significant amount more to have it next to the terminal.

Sure about that? Could there perhaps be something you don’t know about?

marty
    Free Member

Unlike most of you I use public trransport regulalry – both in the UK and when abroad.
    Where do you park your high horse?

imnotverygood

TJ.
    You appear to think that when deciding where to put the tram terminus at the airport, someone just went ‘Hummm. Let’s have a look at the map: There should do’. Now I am not a great fan of the way this thing has been managed, but I think we can assume that the first place they thought of was :’next to the airport terminal’ The fact that they didn’t go ahead with this idea rather suggests that there just may be costs associated with this idea which you are unaware of.
    Your thesis that none of the obvious places to put tram stops in relation to other modes of transport were used because nobody thought of it seems a little hard to believe.
    You say you are not advocating spending more money while conveniently ignoring that all these ideas have a cost.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I would say that its more likely that its about wrong priorities( from my point of view) and a lack of imagination / ambition.

At teh airport end I bet its so as not to inconvenience car drivers

epicsteve
    Free Member

At teh airport end I bet its so as not to inconvenience car drivers

The airport folks don’t appear to consider that a priority.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 153 total)

The topic ‘Edinburgh Trams – should they just ditch the whole idea?’ is closed to new replies.