Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • ebay – scam or not?
  • sadexpunk

wifes after some razor blades, entered a bid of £9.00 max on ebay, told her shes outbid already. left em alone and bought from amazon.

this morning i see shes got congratulations email, shes won the item, and an invoice, so now bought twice.

is this some sort of scam to try and get you to up your bid? and if not, a higher bid is withdrawn so you still win it??

cheers

EDIT: heres the bid history, but none of those bidders is my wife.

Coyote
    Free Member

As I understand it, if you’ve been outbid that’s the end of it. If however the person who won the auction declines to complete then the seller can offer to sell to the next person down and so on but there’s no obligation.

What puzzles me is that your wife was outbid at £9 but the winning bid was £8.51. It’s very much up to you IMO.

jota180
    Free Member

If the winning bidder [shill or otherwise] cancels, won’t the next highest bidder become the highest bidder with the least amount required to out bid the 3rd highest bidder rather than the original amount they needed to out bid the one that dropped out?

I think I need a pill now 😀

spooky_b329

Are you sure you weren’t mistaken and the message was, ‘your winning but you could still be outbid, and then gives you a box to increase your bid?

If you are bidding in the closing seconds, it’ll pop up and you just see the ‘increase your bid’ box and by just glancing at the page, you’ll assume your bid wasn’t enough.

sadexpunk

Hmmm didn’t see it myself, so can’t be sure but I don’t think my wife would be mistaken. Ah well, just wondered if any of you had come across this before, or if it’s a known trick.

Thanks

maccruiskeen

Hmmm didn’t see it myself

if she was out bid then she would have had an email to tell her she was

or if it’s a known trick

I’ve had someone use a shill to find my max bid (on a higher value item mind), I put in a proxy bid, another bidder bid up in increments until I was out bid. Then get an email from the seller telling my the other bidder has withdrawn (apparently their toddler was pressing buttons) so that I was now the highest bidder. Other shill bidder then bids again at £5 below my ceiling – so bids at a price that they already know they’ll lose the auction at. I just walked away.

Its a known trick in a sense but its one that requires a bit of correspondence with the seller, especially if you weren’t the winning bidder at the close.

plyphon
    Free Member

“You’ve been out bid on [razor blades]! Increase your maximum bid now to be in for a chance of winning!”

I think that’s how the outbid email goes.

dooosuk
    Free Member

EDIT: heres the bid history, but none of those bidders is my wife.

How has your wife won if she’s not in the bid history?

I’d be leaving the email well alone, logging into the ebay account and checking what that’s saying.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘ebay – scam or not?’ is closed to new replies.