Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 90 total)
  • eBay prices through the roof … Is everyone doing Lockdown builds?
  • reluctantjumper

I was about to ask the same kind of thing. Sounds dreadful wanting to take advantage but where do people see the massive bargains coming?

Don’t see it as taking advantage, you could be doing someone a massive favour by putting some much-needed cash in their bank account.

Trailseeker
    Free Member

Yes sale prices are highest I’ve seen for years, I’ve just sold a set of 26″ wheels for a touch under £200 & some straight steerer Lyriks for over £300!

gt56
    Free Member

cheers for the heads up… just listed some 2015 RS revs, in very unfashionable white. I’m expecting big money! 🙂

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Just sold my rollers, there’s a set on ebay for £230 and they were averaging £180-£200. Asked for £140 as anything more seems like excessive profiteering. And yes I’m making a profit Vs what I paid 3 years ago but equally I anticipate being out of a job at some point as a result of this hence having a bit of a fire sale.

Got a fat bike up for sale, lots of interest but no one’s bought it yet. TBH I may well keep that one as it’ll be the most useful as a spare MTB.

Got a SS CX/Gravel/Road bike up for sale as well, same as the fatty but again might keep it as it makes a nice summer gravel bike/winter road bike without needing to have either.

woodster

It’s properly mental. Almost tempting to sell the fleet and re-buy when things settle back down.

What’s the maddest pricing people have seen? This one has to be close to triple what it’d normally go for.

£1600 for a 26″ Norco Sight

hotstuff
    Free Member

I was looking for a hard tail frame to build a bike for the boss and all the eBay stuff was indeed going for silly money but Wiggle and CRC had a deal on brand X hard tails, £74.99 each delivered. Would have been rude not to buy a couple.

burko73

I’ve got a mk 1 escapade to sell. I thought I’d missed the bus and would hang on to it until this blows over but the chat on this thread is telling me to get it on eBay.

I haven’t seen another for sale anywhere… hard to know what to ask (danger – how much for my escapade thread coming).

fettlin

*arse drops out of the market as STW’ers flood ebay with tat*

That’s me with some 9spd bits from the spares box and a spare hybrid bike in the game. Already got bids and it’s only been up 2 hours!

boxelder

Late 80’s-90’s Grunge and indie vinyl are the new hot cakes too. Which is nice.

Merak

Just sold a 15 year old turbo I couldn’t give away 2 months ago for £75.

mlltt

Just sold something for £2 more than the buy it now price, madness.

Saccades
    Free Member

If you’ve got older forks now is time to start shifting them as the technology is out there to switch a tapered steerer for a 1 1/8th one

?

thewanderer
    Free Member

So what’s the postage method of favour? I’d usually go to the Parcelforce depot but in this era of social distancing…

mehr
    Free Member

@saccades Dave from RSFSUS can switch a tapered steerer for a straight one
    RSFSUS

So instead of paying over the odds for older forks just pick up whatever you want

shooterman

Yes it’s weird at the moment. Hunting Ebay for some Guide RSC brakes. Folks selling them used for £25 less than they can be bought brand new from online bike shops and refusing offers of two thirds of the brand new price.

Mat

Hmm I’ve a bundle of bits I’ve got for a 26” build. I’ve been tempted to sell in the past but figured it’d be not worth my time for the money I’d get but maybe I’ll take a look! Any tips to selling bundles on eBay? List separately and offer to group or list together and then split if it doesn’t go?

joemmo
    Free Member

It’s mostly people who haven’t got a bike buying one or reviving something from the shed. I’ve refurbed a couple of 2nd hand bikes for family in the last fortnight and noticed that the upmarket kids bikes (frog, Isla etc) were going for daft money. My kids are ready to do a hand-me-down but I don’t think I’d get a decent bike for the older one at the moment so it’s just time to up the seat post another notch.

chakaping
    Free Member

Well I listed my basic turbo trainer at £95 this lunchtime and it’s already sold BIN to a chap in London.

Quite happy with that as I think I only paid £120-ish for it in 2013.

eskay

Wow, the price of rollers!!

I have a virtually brand new set of resistance rollers in the loft, I think I’ll stick them on!

bearGrease

Last bike I sold (still in lockdown) went for a song…..but then kids trials bikes are nicher than niche. Strange as trials biking is THE lockdown sport, perfect for the back garden.

barnun
    Free Member

@the wanderer Either look at ebay Packlink, they’ve apparently reduced the prices down for courier (Hermes/UPS I think) to collect from your house to the same sort of level as you pay for dropping it off yourself. Or Parcelforce will collect from your house too, but it’s more expensive!

jkomo

Would it be a good time to sell some FFWD 50mm rim Carbon tubulars or is that too niche?

Edit 10speed

mashr

Been watching 14” wheel Islabikes selling for up to and around £260 – they’re £320 new! And we’re not even talking about bikes in particularly good condition either

chakaping
    Free Member

I put a nice but cosmetically slightly tatty hybrid up yesterday and it went for full asking price overnight.

Also sold some tyres and a flat bar quick, but less interest in other parts.

I suspect people are mainly wanting stuff they can use right now.

ampthill

Interesting thread

I’ve just done my first parts bin build. So my sons house hold in Sheffield can have a bike each and he’ll have access to a MTB.

I did look at getting a more modern frame when I thought I had a stuck BB cup. But as said prices are mad. Worse was condition. Looking at one frame I thought that’s steep but needs must and the scratches don’t matter. Then the description said “stuck seat post might needed some oil”. Way to many frames with a free BB.

Any way I got the BB cup out and all I’d needed is cables and BB. These came from Spa cycles who deserve a shout out for being about the only place I could find with an in stock octalink BB (122mm) for rapid delivery

Who would you use to collect and deliver a bike? I have a box

leegee

The pedal insert came loose on NDS arm of my Race Face Next R cranks a few weeks back and it was not possible to repair. I’ve been using an old XT crank in the meanwhile. Listed the remailing parts (DS crank arm, Cinch Axle, Cane Creek Pre load ring, 2 chainrings & Threaded BB) On Pinkbike early evening yesterday they were sold by 11 last night.

I listed to a Renthal stem and that has multiple interests too.

I bought a 9020 XTR crank and Absolute blck oval ring on Ebay yesterday and the sale of the above almost covers the cost.

oomidamon

I’ve been getting rid of a few bits on the bay recently, a lightly used 11spd cassette went for twice what I was expecting. Crazy.

cookeaa

I’ve found the cheapest option…

I fished an ancient specialized frame out of the back of the garage; 1″ headtube, 130mm spacing and slot dropouts that a previous owner clearly attacked with a file. It’s utterly worthless, I’ve just re-welded the canti bosses further up the stays to accommodate 700c wheels and found a pair of forks for £12.50 on fleabay.

So I’m building an “all the old standards” based SSCX bike in anticipation of having a crack at post lockdown CX racing…

But yeah, if you don’t want to pay over the odds go hunting for old school and mechanically simple stuff. None of this disc brakes and boost bollox, quill stems and rim brakes FTW 😉

bensongd
    Free Member

Is road stuff selling? I’ve an old allez frame taking up space in my front room.

submarined
    Free Member

Interesting. I’ve got a 3 year old carbon Endurace disc I want going to put up yet as I presumed there’s be difficulties with viewing. How are people managing that? Just putting them on eBay and then getting people to collect at the end of a stick?

oikeith

I’ve been watching Galfer 223 brake rotars, BIN before lockdown £39.99, BIN price today £250…

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Galfer-Disc-Brake-Rotor-Adaptor-223mm-Wave-Fits-Front-Discs-180-223-SB001-/382747887812

free postage though!

kelvinshuffle
    Free Member

So how much do you think I should list this old Kona for? I’m thinking try FB marketplace first then ebay null

tinribz
    Free Member

If you are not sure put on ebay, wisdom of the crowds.

Decided now is best time to ebay all my N+’s. To fund one new modern bike to-rule-them-all with flat mounts and bolt throughs. Took a week off work to prep them all. And looks like I’m getting my money back on the turbo.

The ‘do you have a BIN price’ messages are thick and fast. But I’m letting them run.

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

What are ebay fees like these days? Is BIN still a lot more than an auction?

chakaping
    Free Member

Sold two more rim-braked road bikes now, the time seemed right for a clear out and in two-out-of-three cases I got my (ambitious) full asking price via BIN. The other I took an offer £20 less.

It’s a bit weird but I’m not complaining, got more for my old road bike than my new disc-braked one cost me.

frogstomp

What are ebay fees like these days? Is BIN still a lot more than an auction?

Wait for a £1 listing offer.. they’d not had one for a while (after being virtually every other weekend) but did last weekend. That way you only pay £1 tops (plus whatever PayPal take).

dirtyrider
    Free Member

I’ve been watching Galfer 223 brake rotars, BIN before lockdown £39.99, BIN price today £250…

sellers do that when they don’t have stock but want to preserve their sales record

occasionally you do catch a sale though, like this Basketball hoop, in the middle there’s one sold for £126, no idea who is paying 70 quid for them though, they were 20 quid all winter

https://offer.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBidsLogin&item=352489748114&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2564

eskay

Put a turbo trainer on gumtree for 30 and had an immediate offer for 40!

Have some rollers on eBay and am having quite a few offers to end early!

paulneenan76
    Free Member

I wonder if my Carbon 456 can hear my devious thoughts from the garage…

tinribz
    Free Member

Sold two bikes on faceache today, only put them on this morning. Pick-up and no fees…

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 90 total)

The topic ‘eBay prices through the roof … Is everyone doing Lockdown builds?’ is closed to new replies.