Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 90 total)
  • eBay prices through the roof … Is everyone doing Lockdown builds?
  • hardtailonly

So I’ve been looking for a suitable frame, or cheap donor bike, as a basis for replacing my Saracen Hack commuter bike as the frame is broken.

Been scouring classifieds, eBay etc for weeks now.

But prices seem a bit bonkers.

Eg, a ‘like for like’ replacement, a tatty Planet X London Road frameset just went for £150.

A tatty Inbred frame went for over £160.

Boardman CX, Hybrids, MTBs, even quite a few years old seem to be £300-£500.

Before lockdown, I’d expect those to have been significantly less; I struggled to shift a reasonably nicely specc’d full Inbred a couple of months ago, only getting £185 for it.

At those prices, something like a new Camino frameset at £300 feels like a comparative bargain …

So, unless someone has got something kicking around in their loft/garage/shed (Ideally steel, Med CX frameset / Small-Medium XC Hardtail) that they’re NOT going to turn into a lockdown project, I’ve decided to use an old 2006/7 small Carrera Vulcan frame that has been unused in my garage for 10 years, as the starting point.

(Maybe that’s the best outcome, recycling something that would have just become landfill in another 10 years …)

transporter13
    Free Member

Noticed the same thing.. Been trying to find a small frame to move my daughter onto but everything is going for silly money

tails
    Free Member

Supply and demand. I done myself over I sold a paddy waggon just before lockdown for £200 and some weights for £60 which would easily fetch £100 now. Oh well

bigyim
    Free Member

What size frame are you after ? I have a pinnacle arkrose sat in the shed that could be built up. In fact I’ve got most bits to do it

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

Happening with everything, in my other hobby if you can post it items are brining 3x what they are usually worth.
    I keep getting tempted to build a hack single speed but not in this market.

Mister-P
    Free Member

I’ve just bought my daughter a new bike as she’s outgrown her current one. Reckon I need to get it up for sale sharpish to maximise the return on it.

hardtailonly

big yim
    What size frame are you after ? I have a pinnacle arkrose sat in the shed that could be built up. In fact I’ve got most bits to do it

Medium (or possibly a large small – not sure how Arkose’s size up).

Think the PMs are broken on here still, but possibly my email address is in my profile if your bike is suitable?

bigyim
    Free Member

I’ll check the size and get back to you

londoncommuter
    Free Member

Turbo trainers are unbelievable, older model used Wahoo Kickr are going for more than their new prices. Bit confused though as “proper” lockdown hasn’t happened.

notmyrealname
    Free Member

Turbo trainers are unbelievable, older model used Wahoo Kickr are going for more than their new prices. Bit confused though as “proper” lockdown hasn’t happened.

I was just about to post a similar thing.

There was a couple of used Wahoo Kickr Snap turbos selling last week for in excess of £500 on eBay. They’re normally around £400 new!

I sold mine for £375 and the buyer collected it. It was about two years old and I think I paid less than that for it when I bought it!

escrs
    Free Member

Things are going mental with people wanting bikes/parts

I stuck a 8 year old GT Aggressor XCR on Facebook marketplace yesterday afternoon for £275 or near offer

Less than 24 hours and Ive had over 20 people message me asking if its still available!!

In nearly 40 years of buying and selling bikes/parts ice never had this much demand for one item, especially in such a short time

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Turbo trainers are going for big numbers, pretty much as new for the decent stuff.

Kettlebells, bars & plates all going for a lot more than expected too.

I’ve enjoyed selling bike stuff recently, save for a rear mech & some cranks, i’ve cleared just over £2ks worth of bits in 6 weeks & I haven’t dropped the price on anything, which is quite unusual. But i’m not complaining 🙂

Mister-P
    Free Member

*wanders off to the cellar to find old bike crap to sell*

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

My daily government exercise is to go a walk with my wife and daughter, or to go cycling with them, both of their mental healths are my priority over biking. I use the turbo and treadmill for a bit of HIIT.

Lots of folk locally seem to be going out as many times as they want, I’ll no be doing that.

chakaping
    Free Member

*follows Mister P after looking at how much my basic six-year-old turbo is fetching on eBay*

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

yep, just sold my trainer. I think i burnt more calories wrapping my turbo trainer up in bubble wrap than i ever did using it…

samuelr
    Free Member

I built a ss with all new parts cheaper than second hand bits were going for.

I cant wait till the lockdowns over. There will be a glut of cheap bikes and parts on the market as everyone goes back to normal.

stennah
    Free Member

I had loads of stuff on eBay that weren’t getting a sniff but since lockdown I’ve sold every item I assume there’s a lot of people with time on their hands and not much to do

v7fmp

just to echo the comments on the turbo trainers. Most Wahoo smart trainers are going for up to £300 over the rrp. Part of me thinks its madness, but then I take it for granted that I can ride from home. If you are stuck in a city centre in a flat, the opportunities to get out are probably a lot less, hence why people are paying over the odds.

The thing that gets me are those being able to buy the odd one’s that come into stock at shop then immediately listing them on ebay for big money. I just think that sort of profiteering is a bit rotten.

The same thing is happening with the lazy spa style hot tubs (my missus was looking). £325 ones are going for £600. Its like people are so bored they are happy to pay over the odds for something.

madness I tell thee!

slowoldman

There’ll be a bonus when it’s all over and the novelty of cycling wears off. That’s when I’ll be on the lookout for a turbo.

spawnofyorkshire

Hmmm might be time to break up the scandal 29er and sell the bits…

rossburton
    Free Member

As someone selling a bike on eBay, this is awesome 🙂

nickdavies

I got excited about my old bkool smart trainer , look on eBay and they’re not fetching anything worth selling it!

snaps
    Free Member

Agree with the comments above, I’ve turned over more in the last three weeks than I have in the previous six months.

Including a set of six year Old Pikes that went for £90 more than I paid for them new in 2014!

mehr
    Free Member

If you’ve got older forks now is time to start shifting them as the technology is out there to switch a tapered steerer for a 1 1/8th one

kerley
    Free Member

It is a combination of time of year (Spring is always best time to sell, especially with nice weather we had in last few weeks) combined with more people getting out cycling.

plop-pants
    Free Member

Good grief! Realise how lucky I am then. I bought a Kickr off a club mate for £275 just a few weeks ago. Bit embarrassing to get it so cheap. Think I’ll slip him a few quid more while he’s not looking.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Well my LBS have just announced on FB that they’re closing all of next week to catch up with all the sales and repairs they’ve booked in. It’s probably fair to say demand is up.

eskay

Skankin_giant
    Happening with everything, in my other hobby if you can post it items are brining 3x what they are usually worth.
    I keep getting tempted to build a hack single speed but not in this market.

Road or off-road hack? I have an old felt dispatch road single speed that I want to shift. Will need some new wheels at some point. Fully winterised with full.length mudguards) Will let go for good price to an stw’r (collection only Bristol/Bath area)

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

I have just put a 16″ 29er frame in the classifieds for £100 if thats any use to anyone?

hardtailonly

@eskay

Road or off-road hack? I have an old felt dispatch road single speed that I want to shift. Will need some new wheels at some point.

No, off road is what I’m after. Disc and clearance for minimum 35c tyres with mudguards.

@NorthCountryBoy

I have just put a 16″ 29er frame in the classifieds for £100 if thats any use to anyone?

Yep. Saw that. Might be interested. Any idea on the frame weight, and does it have mudguard/rack points?

Simon

Interesting, I’ve got a few 26″ wheels, forks and frames including a Prophet, Ragley Mmmbop and a 14″ Scandal that I’ve been meaning to sell.

looseygoosey
    Free Member

Shoes as well apparently, I’ve just sold a pair of Five Tens on ebay for more than I paid a year ago.

Ive got an old, medium Cotic Soul with Pikes that I would be happy to move on. May be worth sticking it on Ebay unless anybody on here wanted it.

Edit – just updated the add in the classifieds

Latest Classified Ads

hardtailonly

@Big Yim … Still interested in the Arkose frameset
    PMs don’t seem to be working still, email me on kevindotharleydashrobertsatvirginmediadotcom
    (dash = -)

weeksy

Some of the planetX stuff are selling for the same as they were sold for… Arguably with some of the P/X sales, some are selling for more used than they were new.

nicknameless
    Free Member

Is this just cheap bikes and parts.

Just taken delivery of my new full sus and was going to keep the bird 120 LT it augments but if now is a good time to sell I may reconsider.

Are we talking people buying cheap s***e, or are decent bikes selling too?

andrewreay

I think there is a bit of a split in the market.

At the lower end, cheap bikes are fetching silly money, because there is a massive demand. Cheap new bikes are also selling out (see LBS comment above), so people are forced to buy secondhand, driving up cheap bike prices.

At the top end though, I think there are a lot of distressed sales, where people are being forced to sell prides and joy because the money has stopped coming in. I think there are a glut of expensive bikes coming on to the market, and demand for these is much lower because there are few people able / inclined to spend large sums at present.

My LBS was lamenting the shift in mix too. So whilst they were selling high volumes, they were generally high volumes of low cost bikes, with low margins and just as much work to PDI. They weren’t selling high end MTBs or road bikes though. eBikes were doing OK.

My own experience, last weekend I sold a ~20 year old Raleigh Boulder 15 speed for £140! Pre-Covid, I’d estimated I’d maybe get £40. It is nuts.

londoncommuter
    Free Member

I was about to ask the same kind of thing. Sounds dreadful wanting to take advantage but where do people see the massive bargains coming?

With lockdown and recession, I’d initially thought all shops would be panicking and selling everything at 90% off but the mix of lockdown specific stuff like turbos, new cyclists wanting cheapish bikes and lack of staff to deal with online orders the shops seem to be making a killing or couldn’t deal with shipping everything even if they discounted.

Can’t see people having bought high end helmets, glasses, bike travel bags, energy food etc and shops must have lost chance to clear out winter kit a few months ago so guessing it’ll all have to be discounted at some point?

Any bike industry insiders out there?

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

I’ve been eyeing up picking up a cheap gravel bike but not at the prices people are asking! Guess I’ll wait until the lockdown ends and the used market is (hopefully) flooded..

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 90 total)

The topic ‘eBay prices through the roof … Is everyone doing Lockdown builds?’ is closed to new replies.