Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • eBay – how did this happen?
  • johndoh
    Free Member

Watching an auction and the item was at £205 (very top end price for such a listing). I was watching it on the app and suddenly, with 5 seconds to go, the price went back down to £102 (the bottom end for the item) and sold at that price????

Seems very dodgy.

stu170
    Free Member

Someone retracted their high end bid just before the auction ended. Not everything on eBay is a con.

Last night I drunk bid something, then 10 mins to go I got notification the auction was ending, so I removed my drunk bid quick…….

johndoh
    Free Member

Same happened again – listed at £99, bid at £205, seconds to spare it went back to £99 and didn’t sell.

chakaping
    Free Member

Either that or someone was shilling their own item and removed the pretendy bid when it became clear it was probably going to win?

We’ll never know the truth.

chakaping
    Free Member

Or someone is trolling the seller?

johndoh
    Free Member

I am thinking these are pro ebayers using tools to ensure they get good prices. Serves me right for trying to buy an iPhone

taxi25
    Free Member

But if it dropped from £205 to £102 it wouldn’t have been just one bid there must have been at least two shill bidders. Otherwise the genuine £102 bid would have been topped by just £103.

johndoh
    Free Member

I have no idea, but two auctions from different sellers looked promising for a while then suddenly jumped up to the same price in the last hour then dropped back in the last 10 seconds.

boomerlives
    Free Member

Don’t be tempted to get one from Music Magpie, they are crap and will stiff you.

4Gadgets are good; recommended by drac, I think

phil5556

We’ve bought 3 iPhone SEs and an iPad recently from music magpie eBay shop. All been as described.

jonesyboy

I can vouch for 4 gadgets, phone was basically new!

Drac

Indeed it was Boomerlives.

Yes my daughter’s was marked as good but there’s not a single mark on it.

andylc
    Free Member

Price can drop a lot with only one bid removed.
    Example
    Bidder 1 and 2 bid a maximum of £250. auction is now at £250.
    Bidder 3 bids a maximum of £100. Bidder 1 retracts his bid. Bidder 2 is now winning but the next best bid is £100 so he/she is now winning the auction with a bid of £110 or whatever the next bid above £100 is. They might still have a maximum bid of £250 but with nobody else challenging this the maximum bid drops back to just over £100.

boomerlives
    Free Member

recently from music magpie eBay shop. All been as described.

Well I got a Samsung that was water damaged, and they simply say we must have done it. No refund, no warranty, tough. I’ve had stuff off them before and it’s been OK, but never gain.

At the same time I traded in a PS4 for £130. They said it was faulty, and so was the controller and so was only worth £10. I asked for it back. It still works perfectly.

I assume they beat everything down on price when it comes in, and don’t check anything when it goes out. It’s all pot luck and you get what you get and good luck. Not with my money

Scammers and scumbags.

Unlike 4gadgets – thanks drac!

martymac

Wouldn’t use music Magpie for anything, they’re scammers.

kerley
    Free Member

For those that are retracting there bids 10 minutes before, how exactly are you doing that as eBay won’t allow a retraction within 12 hours of auction end and any bids need to be agreed/cancelled by seller.

I think you may be making up…

RDL-82
    Free Member

…cancelled by seller.

Would say that pretty much sums it up if it’s the seller or their mates bidding up the auction and then realising no one was biting.

andylc
    Free Member

Good point about bid retraction – this shouldn’t happen within 12 hours of auction end.

DezB
    Free Member

Wouldn’t use music Magpie for anything, they’re scammers

They probably scammed their way to their over 8million positive feedback score. lOLZ

Greybeard
    Free Member

@johndoh – I would ask eBay if they know what happened. If bids are withdrawn when that shouldn’t be possible, they ought to be interested.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘eBay – how did this happen?’ is closed to new replies.