Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Ebay Cove Stiffee. Anyone 'lost' one?
  • singletrackmind

"cove steffee used but it really good con,not used no more and filling up to much space frame worth £450 on its own,need to change few parts and get new cables but apart from that works very good,pick up only…"

So thats the description, seat post looks to have 1cm in the frame, and its alledgedly a 19", so possibly a very tall seller.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/pushbike-cove-stiffee-/270605214877?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Bikes_GL&hash=item3f0153e49d

Just doesn't look right to me.

Jamie
    Free Member

Just doesn't look right to me.

Understatement of the year.

Xylene
    Free Member

I found an Identitit on my local gumtree last week or so for 100 quid.

I'll try and dig it up

misterfrostie
    Free Member

"pushbike" cove stiffee – love it 🙄

BiscuitPowered
    Free Member

1 – Stiffees don't come in 19" size, it's 19.5"

You could let that go easily, however

2 – That's not a 19.5" frame.

loddrik
    Free Member

Quick, call the police….!!

highclimber
    Free Member

Thats priceless. the grammar is terrible!!

mr_mills
    Free Member

I asked him a few questions.

What year is the frame? – "Erm not sure about 4 years old"
    How much fork travel? – "About 100mm"
    How often have the forks been serviced – "What???"
    Can you tell me what other parts are fitted e.g. hubs / rims / drivetrain etc – no response

steve_b77
    Free Member

There really is nothing quite like making what may be a dubious seller even more dubious with questions like that.

Why no just ask him if you can view it as you'd like to check the sizing before you commit to buy, and inform the local fuzz if he agrees ❓

kevonakona
    Free Member

It does say £50 up front through paypal then rest on pick up.

mr_mills
    Free Member

I didn't feel that "What???" was an adequate response to my question about the fork servicing so I've probed him further and will post up his answer if I get one.

MrAgreeable

I was about to point out that from his user ID the seller was born in 1985, and therefore his grammar may be due to the fact that he is a mere stripling youth. Then I realised that actually he'd be 25. 🙂

As above, don't contact the seller with bevies of questions. A £1.5k-ish bike going for BIN £400 may be legit but I doubt it.

MrAgreeable

Why no just ask him if you can view it as you'd like to check the sizing before you commit to buy, and inform the local fuzz if he agrees

Perhaps finding a theft victim first might be a more logical step.

mr_mills
    Free Member

don't contact the seller with bevies of questions

I'm just asking him the sort of questions I would ask if I was interested in buying it.

MrAgreeable

Chances are he doesn't know that!

highclimber
    Free Member

the fact is we have no solid proof that it is stolen (though it probably is) other than some dodgy grammar and minimal information about said item. I don't see any problem wiht asking a few probing question about the item.
    You can report stolen items on ebay but I don't know what they require in terms of evidence as Im pretty sure the above 'proof' is not what they would class as evidence!

singletrackmind

I did some Googling and could not find a green one with Marzzoccis .
    There was one with Pikes stolen a couple of years ago.
    Maybe there should be a simple 'reg no.' for bikes .
    It would only need to be a mix of 3 numbers and 3 letters. This could then be lasered to the bike, and a simple database kept of the owner/ first buyer .

steve_b77
    Free Member

Mr Agreeable
    Perhaps finding a theft victim first might be a more logical step

How on earth do you plan to do that? Not everyone who rides a bike lives on forums

highclimber
    Free Member

lets hunt him down

oldgit
    Free Member

For some reason this image come to mind.

loddrik
    Free Member

(sighs….)

highclimber
    Free Member

His feedback looks rather dubious some statments left by sellers he's bought off look similar, too similar!

EDIT: And he's never sold anything!

smudge
    Free Member

He's re-listed it and its gone up in price
    but it has geers now!

inkster
    Free Member

And 'boomer' forks!

mr_mills
    Free Member

Have a look at his feedback now – someone won it then he e-mailed them asking for an extra £150 for it!

smudge
    Free Member

Won bike day before pickup, emailed me asking for additional £250 for it…
    hopefully theyll see that before they bid

Xylene
    Free Member

Asked him if he has a decent explanation for that comment as I am interested in the bike.

Shall see what he says

U31
    Free Member

Jesus effing christ!
    Just 'cause the guy cant spell and has a poor grasp of grammar, this makes him a thief?
    Could be…
    Bought legit
    Bought SH from any number of places inc. LBS
    Bought off a freind
    Given as a gift
    Belong to a family member
    and der der derrrrrrr drum roll… stolen!

If i ever nick a bike, i'm gonna run the ebay description through Word first to make sure it gets past you bunch of amateur Sherlocks!

Xylene
    Free Member

Jesus effing christ!

Won bike day before pickup, emailed me asking for additional £250 for it…

Or is trying to rip people off.

highclimber
    Free Member

either way he's a criminal!

U31
    Free Member

Did you know, that there is no legal precidant that the seller has to sell to the winning bidder at auction?
    Its the owner / sellers discretion. He can tell the winner to eff off and the winner can do nothing, bar leaving bad feedback if its an online auction.
    Sounds to me that by asking for more cash, he has actually paid good money for the machine in the first place and wants to recoup this back.
    If he is going about it the right or wrong way is an entirely different matter…

Xylene
    Free Member

My question

If I win it are you going to ask me for more money as per your previous posts feedback?

Any decent explanation for that feedback?

His answer

hi no the reason being was i was going to swap the xt cran front and rear mec but i couldn't do so,but now im going to leave them on the cove.so no i wont ask for more.
    hope this helps

Buggered if I know what that means.

U31
    Free Member

If nothing else, the seller is a total nob!
    Best just to avoid, imho

highclimber
    Free Member

I just think this guy is clueless and probably an uneducated scally (he's going to Ibiza!) though probably not a criminal as I first thought. He's obviously realised it worth more than he was asking for initially hence why he pulled it and relisted.

I certainly wouldnt touch this with a 40ft barge pole!

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Ebay Cove Stiffee. Anyone 'lost' one?’ is closed to new replies.