Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Ebay conundrum
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

I got an item off ebay recently, (old car door mirror), I don't need the whole part, just a bit of trim to sort my own car out (and was going to ebay the remainder).

The mirror body was photographed from the mirror side only and is scuffed to **** on the other side. I'm asking the seller for a partial refund, he is insisting on a return/refund (of the complete mirror), but I don't want the delay/expense/hassle for doing so and then having to buy another mirror for the small piece of trim.

According to ebay rules I shouldn't give him negative feedback as he has offered a full return, but he's being a real tool (CAPS LOCK EMAILS, telling me he's advised ebay and they are monitoring our comunications etc)

I am thinking I'll just give him honest but neutral feedback, what would you do?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

What did it say in the description?

Not much you can do if it was described fairly and anyway he has offered a refund. Depends on how much you want to put yourself out over this.

cynic-al
    Free Member

There was no description, only the photo.

I don't want to put myself out at all and I can't imagine ebay would be *rsed getting involved, I just think he's being unreasonable, I've offered to accept a partial refund equivalent to what he would lose if I sent it all back.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

He's offered to sort it out. What's the problem?

ski
    Free Member

If he has offered a full refund, go for that and look again, else where.

wwaswas

don't blame him because what he's offered doesn't fit in with your scheme.

Either take the money and return it or accept it as it is.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Link please – we will be the jury…

cynic-al
    Free Member

I don't have time to do a refund – I want to get my car sold ASAP and it's ready bar this. I lso on't want the hassle & expense.

And a misdescription is not an issue at all?

I wonder if you are focussing on the person and not the problem!

cynic-al
    Free Member

I don't have time to do a refund – I want to get my car sold ASAP and it's ready bar this. I lso on't want the hassle & expense.

And a misdescription is not an issue at all?

I wonder if you are focussing on the person and not the problem!

soobalias
    Free Member

take off the bit you need, then return the rest for a full refund.

ski
    Free Member

SOOBalias – Member

take off the bit you need, then return the rest for a full refund.

LOL – If you do that make sure you send it recorded as ebay will want proof of postage 😉

How much are we talking about for the parts cynic-al?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Not much at all, it's just the principle (yeah, I know…)

Offending item:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350274741016&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

wwaswas

"And a misdescription is not an issue at all?"

but it hasn't been misdescribed from what you said (although he clearly didn't photograph the damge so it's possibly a sin of ommission) and the seller has responded to your complaint by offerign a full refund.

It might be a pain but you either have to bite the bullet and return the item for a refund or take the hit on the bit you don't want.

I don't see how the seller is responsible for any consequential loss you might suffer.

twohats
    Free Member

For a measly £10 I'd let it go, you tight get!

cynic-al
    Free Member

whatever wwaswassawasasawwasasa

I trade by higher standards on ebay, not just what the rules allow me to get away with…

wwaswas

you will be bolting the passenger seat down properly before you sell it won't you 😉

owenfackrell
    Free Member

If you have to return it then he has to pay the return postage on it as hes mis described it as in perfect working order which i would read as has no marks other wise you would mention them.

allthepies
    Free Member

Don't mess with him, lives in Romney Marsh and is a MX5 owner. He'll pay you a visit and give you a severe bouffant.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

If I wanted a mirror casing in perfect condition, I would not have bid on that – it looks tatty from what I can see of it.

I think you rushed in – just take the hit and leave neutral feedback.

hes mis described it as in perfect working order which i would read as has no marks

I wouldn't – if it works perfectly then it is described correctly. Had he said it was in perfect condition then fair enough.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Tee hee…I think neutral feedback is the way to go, **** him!

breatheeasy
    Free Member

What you gonna put on the neutral feedback – "not as described so he offered full refund and I refused the fair refund as I wanted to flog my car quickly and couldn't be bothered to ebay another mirror"?

If you don't put the full story then basically you are as bad as him, misleading the people reading the feedback.

coffeeking
    Free Member

It's in perfect working condition, just not perfect cosmetic – you're stuck there I'm afraid. I'd just taket he full refund and buy the bit from the dealer in the mean time, that way you know it's correct and new.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Actually I agree with breatheasy – neutral feedback would be unfair.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Edit: DOUBLE POST FAIL

*hangs heid in shame*

cynic-al
    Free Member

I was thinking "Photo taken from “good” side – OS damaged, refund of no use (due to time pressures seller was aware of), seller inflexible re sorting out in any other way"

That's too long though 🙁

Oh nd new cost is £60 odd IIRC

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Ebay conundrum’ is closed to new replies.