Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Ebay account hacked
  • iamsporticus
    Free Member

I just got an email from ebay telling me my account has been hacked

Luckily due to their supernatural powers its all OK they say and everythings been made good

I did wonder if Id been scammed but the emails Ive had have been legit and cross reference with my ebay account details

Whats annoying is that I havent used ebay to buy or sell for 2 years

Some saddo tosser seems to have got lucky with my account name and password

Both of which are pretty tight security wise
    My account name is fairy random and not related to anything else I use online
    My ebay password is alphanumeric and a mix of upper and lower case

If Ive been hacked assuming the above then it really is all a bit scary
    Im glad I have different user names and passwords for the important sites I use online 🙂

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

mine got done a few years back for no apparent reason, just change the password and scan your PC for spyware etc.

biggulp
    Free Member

I found using this little tool is invaluable if you use a lot of online sites and want different passwords. It will even log you on to a site and populate the userid and password fields. You can download it for a 30 day free trial

eWallet

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Have you actually logged on to your Ebay account (directly – NOT from following the link ‘Ebay’ sent you)? I would do that and go to your messages inbox and see if the message is there too – I would bet it isn’t as it will probably just be some elaborate scam.

richc
    Free Member

what ^ said, and if you did click the link in the email and enter your details then you have just more than likely sent your details to the scammers.

stumpy01

Yep, what they said….chances are your account hasn’t been compromised and that the e-mail telling you your account has been hacked was from a scammer.
    I have had those sorts of e-mails a few times.

iamsporticus
    Free Member

No its totally legit

I logged in via ebay and saw the details there too

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Fair enough – twas just a thought..

stevey99
    Free Member

I’ve had a few spoof emails confirmed by ebay, never go through email links always log on the site and go through the site menus, send to ebays spoof site if not sure of a email.

Swiftacular
    Free Member

Yes it happenned to me about 2 years ago. Logged on to Ebay one day, and found i had Ebay listing charges of about £3000 to pay, and someone had hacked my account and listed about 40 speedboats and tractors and things for sale on there. Ebay themselves had found out before me, and there was a mail telling me they were sorting it, and thus it was. (sorted that is).
    Was a little odd though.

smurf
    Free Member

I was sort of involved in one the other day. I bought an Anthem X1 for my wife via ebay. All legit, sold by Rob Warner of Giant (downhill racing) fame. His ad then turns up on somone elses account – all the same photos almost the same text. But this time there was a buy it now price of £800 and it was listed as a certain type of auction where you needed to email the seller first before bidding.

Anyway, it looked odd so I called Rob and tipped him off (note that it wasn’t his account that had been hacked – just his ad that had been copied). He got in touch with the guy who’s account was selling the bike and it turned out his account had been hacked. Ebay pulled the ad within minutes of me calling Rob.

smurf

eldridge
    Free Member

Looking for scammers on eBay is a bit like looking for hay in a haystack. Every transaction has a scammer on both ends. Someone who wants an inflated price for useless tat on one end, someone who wants something for nothing on the other.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Ebay account hacked’ is closed to new replies.