Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Early start to beat the wind.
  • oldgit
    Free Member

Didn’t work last week, and didn’t work today either. Since Boxing Day I’ve never checked the weather prior to a ride, and just set off whatever. And whatever seems to mean either snow, rain, ice, fog or gale force winds. It’s certainly tough trying to be a small time flahute.

Yet when I go out on a Saturday for a few hours with my mountainbike to warm up for Sundays ride it’s always nice WTF….even wore short sleeves yesterday.

MoreCashThanDash

I was planning on that, but we managed to unload the kids yesterday and got a decent walk in the Peaks, and really didn’t fancy making the effort to get out of bed this morning. Can’t decide if I feel I’ve let myself down or whether I’ve earned the missed ride by walking yesterday – certainly my walking muscles don’t get used enough from the way my legs feel today!

jools182
    Free Member

next time you’re heading out oldgit, can you let me know?

I can then have a ride in decent weather too

I always seem to time it wrong

oldgit
    Free Member

next time you’re heading out oldgit, can you let me know?

I can then have a ride in decent weather too

I always seem to time it wrong

Or I can tell you when I’m not going out, that should have the same desired effect.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I set off this morning and it wasnt windy at all, I felt super human spinning away in the big gears. On the way back it was awful, my jacket had a similar effect to a sail.

oldgit
    Free Member

How d’ya explain that?

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Good ride this morning for me, sunny but breezy. Pishing down now though.

BigJohn

Any windsurfer will tell you that a 2-day period without wind is called a weekend.

Trying to predict when it’s going to be windy in the UK is nigh on impossible. Traditionally water skiers go out early mornings while it’s still calm, but sometimes that’s the only breezy time.

A lot depends on the season, and whether it’s a high or low pressure system we’re covered by.

Either way, log onto windguru.cz or xcweather, or even metcheck to give a half reasonable prediction.

I’ve been windsurfing for over 25 years and still have wasted trips to the coast when the forecast wind doesn’t turn up.

epicsteve
    Free Member

Initial climb on my ride this morning was right into the teeth of the wind all the way to the pass. Hard work but much easier going after that!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Early start to beat the wind.’ is closed to new replies.