Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • earache when riding in cold/windy conditions .. anyone else suffer badly ?
  • kaiser
    Free Member

just been out for a ride and although it’s not cold it is cooler than usual and rather windy. After 5 minutes in these conditions I developed a horrible earache and had to return home. This happens on and off during the winter normally and has done for years . sometimes it can be sub zero and I have no problems whereas other times it can be almost excruciating even though not so cold or windy. Anyone else experience this and is the only solution to carry a buff ?
    regards
    Bill

muddydwarf
    Free Member

I have had this too, it’s not pleasant so my sympathies 🙁

Can’t say i’ve any remedies apart from wearing a skullcap under my helmet.

Jamie
    Free Member

Anyone else experience this and is the only solution to carry a buff ?

If it works then why not?

kaiser
    Free Member

If it works then why not?

will probably get in the habit but it’s so intermittent I’d often forget + I get very hot when riding whatever the temperature.

uplink
    Free Member

I used to but for some reason not anymore

I used to get it lots working at heights outdoors, simple ear plugs were the best prevention

Stoner
    Free Member

its why god invented buffs.

Jamie
    Free Member

I get very hot when riding whatever the temperature.

Just tube it up so it just covers the ears and you shouldn’t overheat. Heat will come out the top like a human chimney.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Suffered with earache since I was little! Bought one of those tubez things which worked a treat last winter, and always have a wooly hat in the car and van! Earache, second only to toothache!!!

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Skullcap will work

cheez0
    Free Member

Earplugs for me too.i had a pair of those headfone style ski ear covers but are too hot.

Pook

for me it’s the wind buffeting the ear drum that does it. ear plugs FTW

dawson

PARDON?????

igmc…

gonetothehills
    Free Member

I have the same – from about Oct through Easter I will wear or at least have with me, something to cover my ears. My favourite – though it’s on its way out is a Buff headband. It’s the same material as the lighter Buffs but is just a 4″ or thereabouts band, rather than the long tube. It means it takes up a lot less space under your lid, and doesn’t cause your head to overheat, but the problem is I bought it in Mallorca (Tramuntana Tours in Soller, should you be so inclined!) but haven’t seen one in the UK 🙁

EDIT: Think I may have found one on eBay but I’m just waiting on them confirming the size of it…

The alternatives in proper winter are the light weight fleece headbands or a skull cap that extends far enough down to cover your ears.

globalti
    Free Member

A buff is the answer. It soaks up sweat and prevents your helmet pads getting smelly, it keeps you cool in summer and warm in winter. Put it on with a knot at the back and pull the sides down over your ears or push them up above your ears as conditions change. Simples.

HermanShake
    Free Member

I sometimes wear one of those douchebag windproof headbands, toasty with a nice big gap in the top for the heat to escape. I just make sure it comes off with the helmet 😳

bikebouy
    Free Member

Another buff aficionado here, I’ve a perforated ear drum and suffer with surfers ear quite a lot. I’ve been using Buff’s for years for various sports and found they work very well indeed. I don’t like ear plugs and only resort to thermal beanies when it’s really cold, so a Buff comes in handy when it’s windy or cooler temps.

Flaperon

This issue really bothered me, but it kicked off after I changed my helmet. I think the new one caused turbulence over the ears, which drove cold air inside. Changed back and no more problems.

senorj

buff.

Bimbler
    Free Member

Yeah I get this too, had to abandon a couple of rides because of it. Solved with a Windstopper Headband. Mine is the Northwave Vectris, they don’t seem to do it anymore but I’m sure there must be equivalents. Went for the headband because I run pretty hot and it still lets the top of your head breath. I bought an “emergency” Nike headband when I forgot the Northwave one but it was fleecy and got soaked in sweat, much prefer the thinner Windstopper type

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘earache when riding in cold/windy conditions .. anyone else suffer badly ?’ is closed to new replies.