Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Alpe d'huez crowds
  • Carpediem
    Free Member

Watching yesterday’s stage close I couldn’t believe how many Muppets there were getting so close to the riders.

Yes, shout,cheer, clap,but some of those idiots neeed sectioning !!

I don’t know how the riders didn’t crash at some points.

Great race BTW

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Being chased uphill by a man in speedo’s and flip flops is all part of life in the pro peloton.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

The guy in surgical scrubs was hilarious.

logic1980
    Free Member

It gets me when they just dont stop running and getting in the face of the rider just to get on TV – these guys aint real fans of the sport at all

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Contador punched one right in the face! He deserved it.

trailmonkey

i’d never watched the TDF before that yesterday, is that kind of thing normal ❓

yossarian
    Free Member

I like it. Yes it’s mad, and probably a bit dangerous, but so what. I can’t think of another sport where you can scream in the face of superstars as they suffer. Its part of what makes road racing totally unique.

logic1980
    Free Member

I do agree with that as long as it doesnt cost a rider his concentration and then effects the results – although sure it dont happen much

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

i’d never watched the TDF before that yesterday, is that kind of thing normal

Very normal, don’t think that was an exceptionally large crowd.

Militant_biker

The guy in surgical scrubs was hilarious.

[quote]Contador punched one right in the face! He deserved it.[/quote]I’d like to think he staked out the spot to bait Alberto.

meribelmtb
    Free Member

Pedalled up there on my zesty yesterday and got some funny looks. Not as funny as my mate on his 1 x 10 Nomad though.

Think the fact that 1000s of Dutch ladies and gents had been drinking lager pretty solidly in the sun since early in the morning didn’t help things. Dutch corner was a site to behold.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

I dont know what Contador’s beef was with the guy.

RustySpanner

SBZ, what would you do if someone smacked you on the rump?

Militant_biker

If he hit me in the rib, I’d hit him in the rib. Eye for an eye and all that.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Rusty Spanner – I would have no beef with doing a steak out and butchering his cow of a wife.

thehillsofsomerset
    Free Member

the abuse that voekler got at dutch corner was awful and not what cycling is about, disgusted.

aracer
    Free Member

It’s a bit unfair on Conatdor when he had so much at steak.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

I wonder how he veals today?

Militant_biker

the abuse that voekler got at dutch corner was awful and not what cycling is about, disgusted.

Really? Didn’t notice, what happened?

RustySpanner

Aracer, he’s been skirting round the real issue since he tested positive.
    Bit of a chump if you ask me.
    Hope he stops mincing around and chucks in the towel today.

thehillsofsomerset
    Free Member

Really? Didn’t notice, what happened?

“the Frenchman was abused by a group of rowdy Dutch fans on ‘Dutch corner’ around halfway up the Alpe d’Huez, Voeckler gave as good as he got.

“They were angry at me because I hadn’t waited to (Johnny) Hoogerland when he crashed (on stage nine),” explained Voeckler. “But that just shows you how stupid some fans are.”

As Voeckler began to accept his yellow jersey dream was over, he released teammate Pierre Rolland from his valued support duties — and the 23-year-old seized the day by beating Spaniards Samuel Sanchez and Contador to a prestigious stage win.”

Militant_biker

Thanks for that THOS, missed that in the coverage.

aracer
    Free Member

“They were angry at me because I hadn’t waited to (Johnny) Hoogerland when he crashed (on stage nine),” explained Voeckler. “But that just shows you how stupid some fans are.”

Well he’s not wrong there – just how ignorant are some people?

SST
    Free Member

The supporters certainly take it seriously 🙂

I have to agree with logic1980 tho – the ones running along holding a mobil phone to their ears talking to (their fammily??) someone saying “I’M ON TV! I’M ON TV! CAN YOU SEE ME?” are complete dicks. Nothing to do with supporting a rider and everything to do with being a winker. (insert appropriate vowel)

enfht
    Free Member

The supporters certainly take it seriously

I thought that too, they were a very passionate bunch 😀

Great perk of the job being allowed to backhand people

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Alpe d'huez crowds’ is closed to new replies.