Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • E sim for Turkey
  • escrs
    Free Member

So im off to Turkey for 14 days in a couple of months and need to sort out phone coverage

Ill be landing at 2am local time so dont really want to be dealing with the local vendors at the airport and will need my phone as soon as i land

Looking online the two main options in Turkey are Turkcell and Vodafone

From what ive read a Turkcell e sim can only be purchased once in Turkey, i cant find what their e sim prices/deals are online for their tourist e sim and it looks like you cant hotspot/tether from what ive read

From what ive read Vodafone e sim for Turkey can be bought and activated in the UK and will only kick in once you land and it connects to the local network, costs £23 for 10GB of data for 15 days, its for data only (no calls or txts which is fine) allows hotspot/tethering (need for my laptop)

Anyone got any more info that could help me?

Flaperon

Don’t bother trying to track down local SIMs for a short trip. Just grab a 7-day eSIM from Airalo or Flexiroam as they’re all pretty much the same price.

Türkiye

https://www.airalo.com/turkey-esim

I’ve used both and now don’t bother with any roaming add-ons with my phone package. Flexiroam tends to be my go-to these days. It’s useful to see how much EE et al are price-gouging when you land and get a message telling you the rates are £8/MB or whatever, when you can pay £8 to Flexiroam and get 5000-8000 times as much data.

Use the code “20OFF” to get 20% off the Flexiroam packages.

escrs
    Free Member

Cheers

Looks like Flexiroam fits the bill, just ned to check what the coverage is like where im staying as it seems to be next to a large hill which could affect signal

sharkbait
    Free Member

I’ve used Nomad recently for UAE and it was great.  They do 30 days turkey eSim with 5gb for $10 or 10gb for $16.

Aidy
    Free Member

Flexiroam looks great, thanks for posting. I’d been hunting around for a bit for an upcoming trip that goes through several countries, couldn’t find a single plan that covered all of them.

silasgreenback

A little leason from my experience is make sure you read their set up BEFORE you go! Dont do typical bloke I dont need to read instructions.

i used nomad on a trip to turkey. They have fixed carrier options or use any carrier a available which gets round the some carriers have better coverage and potentially stuck with a carrier thats blackspot where you are.  Something to keep in mind

I didn’t fully read their instructions and
    activated it in the UK so it downloaded UK APN. Worked fine in blighty so i thought all good. But it wouldn’t work in turkey due to roaming not being allowed. You buy your country, you activate, you get service. Change country and it wont roam.

Right faff…but once at hotel on wifi I managed to get correct APN settings and got it working.

sharkbait
    Free Member

And if you go the UAE install the eSim in the UK as you won’t be able to download it in the UAE!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.