Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 147 total)
  • e-bike what would you do?
  • roverpig

What would I do? Well I’d take the opportunity to leave them to their devices and enjoy some peace and quiet riding through the hills on my own. But I’m an antisocial git. Maybe you like these people or something 🙂 In which case you might as well just “embrace the future” and buy an e-bike.

Seriously, it’s clear that a lot of people mainly ride for the joy of the downhill sections, with health benefits and seeing the countryside, being bonuses. On an e-bike you can do exactly the same amount of work (so health benefits are the same) in the same amount of time, but travel further. So you see more scenery and enjoy more downhill sections. Doesn’t sound so bad, if that’s your thing.

canopy
    Free Member

same amount of work in same time? no chance.

That’s the kind of thing that will bugger our trail access.

yup thought the same.

redthunder
    Free Member

The Giant my Dad has is the Dirt-e +2 and for the record it’s pedal assist.

When he’s on private land….

http://www.ebiketuning.com/shop/product/49-badassebikes-box-3-3-for-yamaha.html

Don’t know why the UK is 16mph …. 18 or 20 would be just perfect.

tomhoward

*bookmarks thread to respond to after work*

samunkim
    Free Member

In the poker world, a lot of new players came thru in tournaments, having been playing 5 or 6 games at a time for months “on-line”.

Ebikes are going to be like that, they are going to give riders twice the amount of riding at places like Aston hill and will quickly be adopted by all the neighsayers as their skill levels are surpassed by the e-boys.

Funnily enough its us old gits mucking about in the woods – who will be the last to change

zilog6128

In the poker world, a lot of new players came thru in tournaments, having been playing 5 or 6 games at a time for months “on-line”.

Ebikes are going to be like thatYou mean 99% will get in way over their heads and crash & burn? 😯

chakaping
    Free Member

OP – Get them to club in and buy you one if they wish to continue enjoying your guiding services.

DezB
    Free Member

Except mountain biking is absolutely nothing like sitting round a table with cards in your hand… closer comparison would be a computer gamer having a go at the TT cos they can win at Rossi: The Game. 😉

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

s1255 comments about the injured rider getting back out with the group describes me pretty exactly.

I could leave most the group for dead on most trails but where’s the fun in that?

I choose to ride mostly on minimum boost just so I can keep with the pack.

Okay, I do sometimes hit the cheat button and Turbo up some hills but the main time I use the Turbo button is so I can push other riders along after they have mad a mechanical, injury or just bonked.

I would not have tried to push a guy all the way up from the Redbridge flyover up to my house at 15mph without boost. Because I could we got home in 5-10 minutes instead of an hour. That was a real unforseen benefit.

samunkim
    Free Member

@dezb

Trying to say that an e-bike will let you get loads more actual riding done

Want

Want more

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I will see your WANT and raise you GOT!!!

Where’s the electrickery live in that WCA?

chakaping
    Free Member

an e-bike will let you get loads more actual riding done

But will it actually be riding?

Only half serious, I’ve really changed my mind on e-bikes after hearing from people who’ve used them.

Northwind

The payoff when one of them breaks down is going to be glorious tbh.

z1ppy

:mrgreen:

..might have just spoken to my local Mondraker dealer.. They have an e-crafty demo bike

chakaping
    Free Member

Ask them why the **** they didn’t call it the “Craft-E”?

Amateurs.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Where’s the electrickery live in that WCA?

Bugger, wrong picture. I am sure I posted the E-Genuis. Just a mo…

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Google auto correct e-Genius to Genius

Anyway, you can compare the two models. +£600 for the E version

Nah, much prefer the Spesh

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Looking at the two I agree the Spesh looks nicer

Still the Scott rides brilliantly and really disguises the weight and makes me very happy.

Back riding with friends when I want, faster if I feel like it, dawdling along when I don’t, providing uplift / push home service when required.

eBikes don’t take the skill or enjoyment out of biking. A bit like full suss doesn’t. Or SS. Or Fat Bikes. Or life bikes. Or Trials. Or what ever else.

They are just another option.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Thinking a bit more about it and the OP.

If your mates ride with you on eBikes and you are on a luddite bike (joke) then they can quite easily slow to your pace for the hills or even assist. I do that on the Thursday night ride.

On the descents and the flats the 15mph limit kicks in and it is equal playing field.

For general riding they are pretty similar to non-powered bikes, just a bit easier.

It is not like your mates are all on XC bikes and you are on a trials bike where there are significant functional differences.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Get faster, or get them to turn down the assist would seems the 2 viable options to me.

I’m guessing at some point a double round of pneumonia as an infant, years of bronchitis, 20+ years on the fags and old age will catch up with me – lung capacity isn’t the greatest now at 44. I’ll definitely be getting one when I find I’m really struggling

DezB
    Free Member

Would be ideal for taking the youngsters on a long ride. There were some at the QECP demo day, I wanted to try a Plus bike and thought if my kid could get a ebike we could go out together. Didn’t have ebikes smal enough though.
    The guy on the stand said he’d been using the e at Bike Park Wales and they were great downhill. Can’t for the life of me remember what brand they were though. They looked pretty good (for ebikes). Might’ve been Haibike?

redthunder
    Free Member
    Denis99
    Free Member

One of the reasons that have made me buy an ebike is BPW.

I live close enough to jump in the car and have a ride up ticket only.

On my normal bike I can only manage 3 or 4 climbs before I am too tired to climb again.

I stick to the blues, so the trails are quite smooth(ish).

Having an ebike (arrives tomorrow), will give me more climbing and descending runs. Trying to get a space on the uplift means planning about 6 weeks in advance, as opposed to just turning up and riding.

redthunder
    Free Member

@denis99

What bike are you getting ?

Denis99
    Free Member

Felt Lebowske

It’s a fat ebike!
    I also have a Lauf Carbonara fork which will be fitted after a couple of rides.

Just want to get the bike and go out at the moment.

redthunder
    Free Member

@denis99

Nice 🙂

Looking forward to the full report with pix 🙂

DezB
    Free Member

Looking forward to the full report with pix

Which forum though? 😉

Northwind

Lebowske wins just for the name. You just know they came up with it while off their tits. “Aw man, I’ve got this great name for a bike”. Possibly they came up with it several times, but forgot.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

That’s the kind of thing that will bugger our trail access.

An important point & I wonder if it’s being missed?

Are you technically allowed an e-bike on a bridleway etc?

Denis99
    Free Member

Legal ebike said are restricted to 15 mph.

You are ok to ride them anywhere where you can ride a normal bike.

It’s just pedal assist.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Legal ebike said are restricted to 15 mph.

Lets hope that no naughty boys & girls find ways to derestrict them then hey?

E bikes & erosion

So far, no more than a hypothesis but worth bearing in mind nonetheless.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

As long as no one fits one of these https://www.badassebikes.com/en/badass-box/bosch/typ3-4-bosch/a-114/ or posts a link to them I think we should be fine

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

IMBA developed these hypotheses for this small initial field study, conducted at one site, with one set of environmental conditions:

Physical impacts to trails from eMTBs will likely fall somewhere between those caused by mountain bikes and motorcycles.
    We expect that eMTBs may lead to more soil displacement under certain conditions, such as through turns, including bermed turns; on ascents and descents; and where there are abrupt changes in trail conditions.

Well say goodbye to trail access when the red sock brigade get hold of this.

Denis99
    Free Member

I think the trail erosion argument is a little overplayed.

When climbing you are still restricted to a theoretical 15 mph, assuming you still have the skill and fitness to achieve this.
    In reality, someone pushing it out climbing will replicate the fastest riders climbing on Strava. Therefore, I don’t see this as too much of a problem.

Many people have said that when descending the ebike is not as agile and flickable etc, which I tend to agree with, so the ebike will probably not be the fastest down the hill.

The percentage of ebike so used at trail centres will still be very low, less than 5% at worst.

Not really a viable case for the red sock lot, probably still not listen to a rational argument though.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 147 total)

The topic ‘e-bike what would you do?’ is closed to new replies.