Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 235 total)
  • E-bike prevalence
  • seosamh77
    Free Member

For the over 40s that can’t be arsed anymore, they are a god send! 😆 I’ll testify to that!

monsho
    Free Member

Hah, sorry, lose/lose 😉

maxtorque

Given that:

1) eBikes are coming down in price all the time

2) eBikes are now available from most manufacturers in a wide range of types

3) The “average” mountain biker, who isn’t either a DH or XC world champ is going to go faster and/or further on an ebike than on a normal bike, so they open up the riding possibilities for those bikers

4) eBikes are heavy, so you may as well get one with long travel, so they look pretty gnarcore to the average buyer (ie eDuro a thing yet?) so they have good marketing / sales presence

I can only see them becoming mainstream very quickly indeed…….  (for better or worse)

roverpig

I love this idea that 40 is now considered too old to get fit without assistance 🙂

Personally I have no problem with anybody who is already a keen cyclist getting an e-bike, for whatever reason. It doesn’t make any difference to me what you are riding, so knock yourself out. I may consider one myself one day.

The two questions I have are: will they result in a signifant increase in the number of people out in the hills on bikes and if so, will that be a good or a bad thing. I don’t have answers to either of those questions, but will watch with interest.

For the record, I’ve yet to see one in the wild. Mind you, nine times out of ten I don’t see another cyclist (and often not another person) on my rides. Oh and I’m 53 and fitter than ever thanks 🙂

funkmasterp

I love this idea that 40 is now considered too old to get fit without assistance

I was was thinking the exact same thing. I’m 41 and have just recently started working out properly again. I don’t have any issues with training or cycling. What are some of you doing to yourselves? 😕

nickdavies

If i could afford one id be seriously tempted, mainly for an alps bike. Now i have the choice of taking my big bike and doing uplift or 30-40 mile natural rides or taking the xc bike and doing double the distance but having to be a lot more careful descending. 150mm e-bike? Best of both worlds, natural trails with noone on them and the climbs are a doddle.

I love this idea that 40 is now considered too old to get fit without assistance 🙂

40? Im only early 30s and im buggered if i can get back into shape! I like cake and beer as much as i like bikes though, probably doesnt help!

singlespeedstu

However, it turns out some ebikers hate it when you say ‘nice moped’ as you pass them.

I got chased up the next hill and told to get over myself. Sense of humour fail anyone?

Would you walk up to a complete stranger in a pub and try taking the piss out of them?

What do you think the result would be?

I think you need to work on your one liners a bit…

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I got my ebike after the last but one ankle fusion operation as I wasn’t able to pedal any other way. It let me ride with my friends again and saved (some of) my sanity.

Since then I have discovered some good and bad stuff.

Good

Every day is uplift day at the Southampton Bike Park / Bike park Wales.

Your legs are less tired at the top of the climb so you enjoy the descent more.

The bikes weight a ton but you don’t notice and most of the weight is low and centred.

Bad

Range anxiety kicks in at about 40 miles / 1 bar of battery

Must remember to leave it charging

Can’t do a bivi when it is 30 miles out, camp and then 30 miles back

Some ‘e-bike’ specific parts are stupid expensive – £100+ for the front sprocket

So would I go back to non-electric?

Yes, and the exercise I got with the pedel assist meant I was fit and strong enough to ride by single speed again but I am keeping the electric bike as another option when I want it.

Toasty

I’ve just had a week at Glentress, got out on 4 of the days. 3 days on my Enduro 29, 1 day on a hired Trek Powerfly LT 8, absolutely loved it.

The main thing wasn’t the uphill performance, you’re not uploading to Strava with everyone else anyway, the best thing was how uncompromising it’s downhill performance was. Big 650b 2.8″ Nobby Nics, very low centre of gravity, 150mm Fox 34 on the front end. It was massively inspiring and you didn’t have the nagging feeling about then having to slog for 30 minutes to get back to the top. You got there feeling refreshed and ready.

I finished the ride and my Garmin uploads immediately, before switching to ebike it showed as me having 4 KOMs getting back to the top. You’re not just getting there without spending all your energy, you’re getting back up there faster than the fittest about. The bike didn’t fit hugely well, internally routed seatpost meant I couldn’t raise the saddle enough, it’s also pretty rough and loose over there at the moment, if it was your own setup you’d be seriously quick everywhere. It’s genuinely not something for people new to biking.

Loved it. I’m now pondering conversions on old bikes.

Edit: Oh, I should mention, I was quicker downhill on almost everything on the Enduro. It didn’t feel it though, much more flowy there on the big 650s.

IdleJon

It’s been a long hot summer and lots of people are buying bikes. Lots of people who don’t regularly ride or used to ride and lost the routine. So lots of those people have bought e-bikes, for whatever reason.

They haven’t ridden through a normal British summer and certainly haven’t – and won’t – ride through a normal British winter. I reckon that most of those e-bikes will be dusty in the garage this time next year, alongside the jet-ski, SUP and kayak, while their owners buy into whatever craze is popular next summer.

konanige

First thing I’ll ask is how many haters are manual workers? Me I’m 54 have been riding for twenty years now, bit overweight but can hold my own, however, what about this lovely weather eh, trails are perfect, sun is warm, you should be riding as much as you can, but there’s the rub! You’ve been up on a tiled roof in the hot sun all day, or baking like a beef joint behind glass in a conservatory, you get home and you just can’t be arsed to sweat anymore so you miss all the fun. I for one am definitely considering an e’bike as it’ll get me out the door more and once you’re out your out and you end up sweating and getting fitter even if you’ve got some assistance.

singlespeedstu

It’s been a long hot summer and lots of people are buying bikes. Lots of people who don’t regularly ride or used to ride and lost the routine. So lots of those people have bought e-bikes, for whatever reason.

I reckon that most of those e-bikes will be dusty in the garage this time next year, alongside the jet-ski, SUP and kayak, while their owners buy into whatever craze is popular next summer.

What I’m seeing is people who’ve been riding since mountainbiking began that still ride all the time buying Ebikes so that they can ride even more.

I’m still riding my regular bike but also doing Ebike rides extra to what I normally do.

I can’t see any of the people I know suddenly taking up another pastime.

MrOvershoot

<span style=”text-decoration: underline;”>Taking liberty with konanige’s post</span>

First thing I’ll ask is how many haters are manual workers? Me I’m 53 have been riding for thirty years now, overweight but can hold my own in the cold, however, what about this lovely weather eh, trails are perfect, sun is warm, you should be riding as much as you can, but here’s the rub! I’ve been on my feet all day in a hat+hairnet gloves & glasses while wearing flame retardant clothing in a factory that is 40deg C, you get home and have to prepare food & feed your wife + get her to bed and you just can’t be arsed to sweat anymore so you miss all the fun. I for one am definitely considering an e’bike as it’ll get me out the door more and once you’re out your out and you end up sweating and getting fitter even if you’ve got some assistance.

<span style=”text-decoration: underline;”>from manybikesnige ;)</span>

ganic
    Free Member

Ebikes aren’t a bad thing, technologically they are very interesting.  As I said above, the ebike extends a bike brands market opportunities to cover those people who wouldn’t buy a non-ebike.  Britain in particular is getting fatter.  People are generally unfit and it is becoming endemic.

If you’re a bike brand not offering ebikes, then you’re selling to a shrinking market.  Bikes are fun, but to make them fun (especially a mountain bike) you do need to be fit and commited to living a lifestyle that maintains that fitness.

Ebikes are highly attractive to the bicycle industry as the 35 plus age group has disposal income and that’s generally the water shed age when being overweight and obese overrakes being a healthy weight for that proportion of the population.

I think trail centres will see as an increase in traffic through ebikes, simply because the profile of an ebike user would suit the characteristics of a typical trail centre (low effort to navigate and menu of predictable technical features through trail grading).

I say this because unless you have a condition that you cannot change, you’re likely to be on an ebike because you’re keen to cycle but unable to enjoy it without the motor (through lack of fitness, time, or poor health/high weight).

Ebikes are a quick fix for fitness not skill.  I suspect most technical trails won’t see much ebike traffic, especially where steep, narrow, rocky, or DH trails are concerned.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

wrong side of 40,

WTactualF.

Really.

geex
    Free Member

@ganic Sorry but your ‘thoughts’ seem to be based on an absolute load of nonsense.
    I bought my Emtb to allow me to ride even more steep, narrow, rocky, techncal descents.
    I’m well over 40 but not unfit and don’t have a “condition”. Infact I’m just back riding a mix of old (not that easily found) DH tracks and technical singletrack descents with a non ebiking riding buddy. I took my Ebike but rode it switched off for 95% of the ride. We climbed 3000ft. The Ebike weighed 49lb
    FWIW I have two 170mm travel bikes, both share very similar geometry and almost exactly the same suspension and components but one is a carbon enduro bike and the other is an aluminium ebike… There’s around 17lb weight difference between them. They’re quite different to ride. Here’s the thing though… You actually have to be a stronger rider to descend and ride as well on the heavier bike. And that motor assist does nothing at all to help while descending technical terrain at speed.

scruff
    Free Member

Locally, we’ve made some trails that are designed to prohibit the use of E bikes. Seems to be working.

ganic
    Free Member

@geex awesome!

thegeneralist
    Free Member

You actually have to be a stronger rider to descend and ride as well on the heavier bike.

That made me proper laugh out loud that did.

convert

Locally, we’ve made some trails that are designed to prohibit the use of E bikes. Seems to be working.

How?

There is a lot of lazy descriptions of electrically pedal assist bikes – I guess the jist of this thread is about E-mtbs. I’m on the fence about those still. E commuter bikes however I’m a huge fan of.

singlespeedstu

How?

Have you put a stile in every 100 yards or do you and cakebite just stand there with your hands on your hips tutting.🙂

I suspect most technical trails won’t see much ebike traffic, especially where steep, narrow, rocky, or DH trails are concerned.

This is the reason I’ve bought a 180mm coil sprung Ebike.

Self uplifting is so much fun.

geex
    Free Member

@thegeneralist – You actually laughed out loud? Don’t get out much?

Bunnyhop your 170mm bike, then manual it… now strap an 8kg weight to it’s downtube and BB area and bunnyhop the same height as previously followed by another manual. Then tell me it didn’t take more effort with the added weight.

The extra strength I’m talking about needing is for riding the bike properly. Not just standing on the pedals steering the thing like a potato.

chevychase

So, you’re saying ebikes are a limitation to riding bikes downhill @geeks.  Which isn’t surprising with an extra 8kg to throw about – there’s a reason that they made bikes light as possible, and it’s not just climbing.

But it’s the climbing where ebikes make the difference.  How can a motor not?

geex
    Free Member

No Chevy. Not a limitation. Just different to lighter bikes. but obviously if you do want to throw one around it takes more strength (and slightly different pre-load timing and weight shifts)

The extra stability means they’re probably actually less of a limitation when riding downhill if you do happen to ride like a potato.

maxtorque

After a year of chasing an eBiker around on a similar travel but normal bike, i can understand the differences:

1) I’ve got no chance up hill.  I can match their pace for about 100 yards tops then they are gone

2) Downhill, the heavier eBike definitely plows through things well, and seems to get less deflected off line.  The improved unsprung to sprung ratio also seems to make setting up the suspension easier, particularly on small / low velocity chattery type bumps.

3) Where they seem noticeably slow is when you need to change direction fast, like flicking between two trees or between two berms and also braking on steep stuff, where there extra mass really seems to show.  Changing your mind on a line, or just picking up the bike to change lines seems to be a bit of a non-no at speed too.

(This is compared to my 180mm Dune, which is a pretty competent bike in itself)

ryder
    Free Member

Ebikes are a product strategy to cater to the market. If you don’t like which part of the market you belong to, ditch the take aways big boy!

Since I never eat take away and am not a big boy maybe you need to butt out hairshirt!

geex
    Free Member

I agree with you Max but in answer to your third point.

Once you’re used to it. none of what you mention is actually a problem but as I said. You definitely do need to be quite a bit stronger than on a light bike to continually make the bike do the same things.

dovebiker

When faced with such awesomeness, I have nothing more to add except wallow in my 53-old decreptitude.

lesgrandepotato

Don’t worry the next generation of E bikes have additional gyros built in to help with turning. They’ll make sure you don’t have to work any harder.

DickBarton

Haha, this is hilarious…a niche specific group moaning about the same sport but a different niche. I suspect hill walkers had similar gripes about mountain bikes 30-odd years ago (although probably discussed round a pub table after a walk rather than online)…people riding bikes, it is all good.

whitestone
    Free Member

When faced with such awesomeness, I have nothing more to add except wallow in my 53-old decreptitude.

Pah! Youngsters* these days don’t know they are born!

Generally I’m not bothered about folk out on e-bikes but I do find it a bit sad when kids consider them before a  normally aspirated bike. I haven’t seen any e-bikes away from easier natural trails. That’s not to say no-one’s using them on such but I wouldn’t like to be hike-a-biking with one! We went up this BW** yesterday – http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=397713&Y=478557&A=Y&Z=120&ax=397923&ay=479782 hard enough pushing an unladen 12kg bike never mind one twice that weight.

As above – a good workout trying to keep up with one going uphill, road or off-road.

* I’m fairly sure I’m not the oldest on here 😉

** Normally this is a bog fest and we’d never done it so with the dry weather it had to be done. Top tip: don’t bother!

chiefgrooveguru

“obviously if you do want to throw one around it takes more strength“

Exactly. That’s one thing that dissuades me from getting one, simply because our local trails are so tight and twisty that bigger heavier bikes struggle to flow down them. But then again, I wouldn’t suffer half as much on the climbs when I’m riding the day after doing squats or deadlifts, which is rather appealing. If someone gave me a few k and told me to spend it on a bicycle I’m pretty certain I’d get one with a motor, slack geometry and a load of suspension travel.

greyspoke
    Free Member

@geex, do your routes include lifting over gates etc., climbs that are not rideable other than for steepness?  In other words, how would you assess teh luggability of the thing?

geex
    Free Member

Local routes involve lifting it over the odd gate ot two. It’s not a big deal. I’m not weak.

Occasionally I’ll push it uphill. Again. Hardly an issue. In my 20s we’d spend all day pushing 50lb DH bikes up tracks.

geex
    Free Member

@chief
    you’re over thinking it. Even if you are weak. You’ll strengthen up from riding one.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

It’s not a big deal. I’m not weak.

So why are you riding an e-bike then?

😁

greyspoke
    Free Member

In my 40s I pushed a 46lb DH bike uphill.  Can’t see myself doing that sort of thing again tbh, I got a dropped shoulder which hampers me a bit. (Shortly to embark upon my 60s.)

smokey_jo

Did a ride on Saturday which involved a few stiles – the odd one isn’t too bad but 4 or 5 field boundaries in a row especially if it’s and up and over a stone wall type stile gets tedious. Also had to push up around 200 metres of a trail as it was a lot of steps and steep uneven ground. The walk mode in this situation didn’t help much – by far the most tiring part of the ride and easily twice as hard as the normal bike, which itself is not lightweight.

Took it on a local wiggly bit of singletrack yesterday which requires a lot of changes of direction at reasonable pace but as I was fresher after the preceding climb found I had the energy and strength to ride it just as quickly as I normally do without needing a 10 minute break to get my breath back.

Some flatter bits of singletrack which are normally a bit of a grind as it’s hard to keep momentum were so much more fun.

It’s a bitch to manual but it pumps off lips and bumps just fine.

martinhutch

The walk mode in this situation didn’t help much

You need some of these new fangled ebuttocks for hike-a-biking.

ninfan
    Free Member

Haha, this is hilarious…a niche specific group moaning about the same sport but a different niche. I suspect hill walkers had similar gripes about mountain bikes 30-odd years ago (although probably discussed round a pub table after a walk rather than online)…people riding bikes, it is all good.

I’ve just started rocking back and forth at recollections of debate over vibram vs Skywalk soles, and whether square edged heels caused additional erosion, but rounded heels were unsafe for winter use….

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 235 total)

The topic ‘E-bike prevalence’ is closed to new replies.