Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 235 total)
  • E-bike prevalence
  • seosamh77
    Free Member

I think the climbing gods are a tad upset that bifters can breeze passed them while eating a cheeseburger and a chocolate milk shake! 😆

That alone makes ebiking all sorts for awesome, on a few levels. 😆

iamtheresurrection

This thread, man 🙂

This made me chuckle: In the spirit of previous replies to this thread, you should have had your child earlier in life.

Whereas this, which I think was aimed at me: Yep. Person makes loads of life choices that limit their free time and then wishes they had more free time. Typical e-biker attitude right there.

Weird.  Are there really many of us out there who don’t want more free time? It doesn’t mean I’m not happy with my ‘life choices’.

Pretty much every post anti-ebikes assumes that they are for fat, lazy people, who don’t want to make the effort. I just don’t understand it.  When I was fit (not super fit, but fit enough for sub 5hr centuries and sub 24min 10m TTs) I would have still wanted an ebike if they had been available.

They just look like a lot of fun.  I fancy one regardless of how fit I am now or next year – it’s just another way of having fun on two wheels. It wouldn’t replace my other bikes, just supplement them.

martymac

Resurrection,

yeah, it does seem that some people think ebikes are for fat lazy people, I’ve heard this on a number of occasions.

i’d counter it by saying that if someone was truly lazy, they wouldn’t bother riding any bike, ‘E’ or not.

i also don’t get this idea that some people think it’s ok to decide whether or not it’s ‘ok’ for someone else to ride an ebike, or not.

Why not try telling someone in a wheelchair that maybe they could try a bit harder, let us know how that goes.

fwiw, i have an ebike, i use it to rehabilitate a severely broken leg I suffered last year which kept me off work for more than 5 months, it’s made a massive difference to my life, and has hastened my recovery.

I’ve said this before, but i never ever hear anything negative said in the real world, it’s always overwhelmingly positive. The only ‘E’ negativity i hear is online, where people aren’t saying this stuff to an actual person.

Garry_Lager

Resurrection,

yeah, it does seem that some people think ebikes are for fat lazy people, I’ve heard this on a number of occasions.

The lazy-arses were always going to get on ebikes like tramps on chips, that’s just human nature and not especially interesting. What is interesting is when decent riders start getting them – on here represented by folk hitting their 50s and looking for ‘more smiles per mile’ and to ‘supplement’ their other bikes which will of course continue to see vigorous use. Sounds self-serving to me, and the wrong trajectory to take as we get older and want to keep fit (IMHO), but time will tell.

trevmccdonald
    Free Member

I’m no fan of climbing, and can’t do 25kph on the flat most of the time, so definitely want an Ebike. The only issue is maintenance.

andyrm
    Free Member

A perfect example of EVERYTHING that is wrong with e-mtb riders right here. Not wearing lycra, having fun rather than “glory through pain” or some such rubbish, and as you’ll see in the video, clearly massively obese & lazy……. 😉😉😉

……and French.

kerley
    Free Member

Weird. Are there really many of us out there who don’t want more free time? It doesn’t mean I’m not happy with my ‘life choices’.

Sorry, my comment was a piss take.  I though the “typical e-biker attitude” phrase made that clear.  I don’t care what you do with your life or what bikes you ride.

stevextc
    Free Member

Yep.  Person makes loads of life choices that limit their free time and then wishes they had more free time.  Typical e-biker attitude right there.

Yep, it’s like when I visit my mother 200 miles away I drive…  yeah I know I should walk I’m just a typical e-biker who made the wrong life choices and strapped for time.

😀

Which I guess illustrates e-bikes and life choices for me…

Life choices on a big scale are a myth – we make choices based on where we are (both physically and in life) and what happens around us and to us and those choices then determine our later choices.  I could have made different life choices say 30 yrs ago and ended up dying under a bus or losing a leg and not spending 20 years seeing the world or not being able to ride a bike.

E-Bikes are now a choice… one that is currently open to me if I want to keep cycling the same distances and speeds (assuming my choice of working from home today doesn’t result in a meteor striking my house etc.)

tomj
    Free Member

You might get a bit of a skewed picture at Grizedale because they hire eBikes there. So likely to be loads. I’ve not particularly noticed eBikes on my local trails in West Yorkshire and the Dales.

bikenski
    Free Member

Definitely in the mountains they are becoming more and more popular.

The great thing about ebikes for me is that the uphills and downhills are now balanced. Whereas I used to spend 1.5hrs climbing for a 20 min descent (I live in the Alps…the climbs are steep and some unrideable) I can now do a 20 min climb (still need to pedal flat out, even on full motor-assist) then a 20 min descent…followed by another and another. I can also now choose the techy climbs (which just aren’t pedalable on a non e-bike) rather than tapping it out on some dull fire road/Tarmac  which all the non-ebikers do.

Lots of people say they don’t need an e bike until they are unfit and ‘need’ pedal assistance. (Strangely, here in the Alps, several people have said how they don’t ‘need’ an e bike and are then the first in the queue when the lifts open – I don’t understand the logic there).  Im glad I got mine whilst I’m at a really good level of fitness to make the most of the techy ups and fast climbs and extra descents, but to me riding a mountain bike is about the technical challenge + flow (now uphill, as well as down) and I definitely get more of both of those with the e bike.

bennyb
    Free Member

Love reading these threads, I’m a 33 year old , 10 stone lightweight that raced mtb enduro etc, keep myself very fit (running and cycling), and for the last year all I’ve rode is my Specialized Levo. Some people might be bemused and I must admit it does kill the sarcastic comments by some as they have no argument . I can’t understand what’s not to like about doing what we normally do….just faster!! You still have to pedal and put as much effort in to get the best out of one. In my experience most haters haven’t even ridden one

DezB
    Free Member

Is this the same eBike thread from the other day, or a new one?

andyrm
    Free Member

Love reading these threads, I’m a 33 year old , 10 stone lightweight that raced mtb enduro etc, keep myself very fit (running and cycling), and for the last year all I’ve rode is my Specialized Levo. Some people might be bemused and I must admit it does kill the sarcastic comments by some as they have no argument . I can’t understand what’s not to like about doing what we normally do….just faster!! You still have to pedal and put as much effort in to get the best out of one. In my experience most haters haven’t even ridden one

But do you wear lycra? That’s the important thing. If not, according to some purists/grumpy people/haters/e-bike non riders you are #notarealcyclist

whitestone
    Free Member

Same one, just descended (sic) into the usual “If you aren’t with us” BS.

fergal
    Free Member

I have nothing against Ebikes, but i don’t get the evangelicals proclaiming it is no different to unassisted MTBiking, surely it is a new discipline, like climbing with it’s various niches, Trad, sport, Alpinism.

geex
    Free Member

@desb there’s been one every few days for the last couple of weeks  All have been filled with utter nonsense and prejudices from folk who don’t have one and sensible factual information from those who do.

No one cares if you’re with “us” or not Whitestone.

seosamh77
    Free Member

DezB

Dunno, but it’s a similar comment from you. 😆

Are people not allowed to talk about ebikes?

geex
    Free Member

It’s not a sport Ferg.

It’s just a different kind of bike .

And yes. Of course they ride slightly differently. No one is saying they ride the exact same as a normal bike.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Hold on geex, bennyb is challenging for your crown of awesomeness.

nealglover
    Free Member

Pretty much every post anti-ebikes assumes that they are for fat, lazy people, who don’t want to make the effort.

Thats because Lycra wearing “hillclimb hero” cyclists don’t often get the opportunity to act all superior while they are hobbling round on their cleats looking like they’ve shit themselves and sweating like a derby winner.

So they take the opportunity where they can, even if it is fictionalised 😂

nealglover
    Free Member

There’s a guy in my office that drives 6miles to a park and ride for free parking, then cycles the last 2miles to work on a carbon/di2 dream machine in full team kit.

But it apparently the guy who does 120miles a week from home to work and back, 5 days a week, all year, on an ebike (and doesn’t own a car) isn’t a “real cyclist and is cheating”

because … “he wears jeans and rides a motorbike”

These “real cyclists” crack me up 😂👍

whitestone
    Free Member

All have been filled with utter nonsense and prejudices from folk who don’t have one and sensible factual information from those who do.

No one cares if you’re with “us” or not Whitestone.

Suggest you climb down from your high e-horse 😉 🙂

Since you are obviously hard of sight or possibly unable to remember what has been written more than a couple of posts ago, I’ll repeat: I couldn’t care less about whether you or anyone else rides an e-bike. Just because I’m not “Oooh! aren’t they great?” does NOT mean that I’m against them.

If you actually read and understood my last post then you’d see that I was criticising both camps. But it seems that you are so wound up about this that you thought it was a slight against you.

yossarian
    Free Member

I’ve never ridden an e-bike. I like their potential though. Quite apart from getting people out who otherwise wouldn’t be able to, they offer a decent urban alternative to cars and I’m starting to see quite a few food delivery companies ditching scooters etc and moving over to e-bikes.

I do feel a bit weird about them for off-road stuff though. Don’t know why really. I might be a bit of a Luddite I guess and personally one of the things I really, really like about mountain bikes is doing it under your own steam entirely. Appreciate that others might feel differently about them. We don’t all ride for the same reasons do we? I do worry about the longer term implications for trail access though, it’s not like the red socks really need any encouragement to hurl shite at us is it? I can see a future where e-bikes become entirely prevalent and their usage is limited in much the same way as other vehicles. I’m not sure anyone wants to see that.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Premier IconDezB

Are people not allowed to talk about ebikes?

Well, yes. But hopefully it’ll be kept to this one thread. Cos they are ALL THE SAME!

Fancy listing all the non-e-bike threads? For comparison like… Should they all be put in the one thread?

infact, lets just have a 1 thread forum.

stevextc
    Free Member

I have nothing against Ebikes, but i don’t get the evangelicals proclaiming it is no different to unassisted MTBiking, surely it is a new discipline, like climbing with it’s various niches, Trad, sport, Alpinism.

Fergal… a bit of yes and no really… (IMHO) because it can be different things to different people.

I don’t own one so wouldn’t consider myself an evangelist… but I do expect at some point in the future I will own one and perhaps become an evangelist 😀

I was kinda interested and started following eMBN but quite honestly found the evangelist bit off-putting.

Yes, there is a whole new load of stuff now possible that wasn’t previously… but equally to me at least it’s just as much about enjoying the same disciplines differently or as much about other people being able to enjoy the same disciplines.

If for example someone wanted to go out and practice some loops for Enduro (as per video).. it’s a tool to let them do more.. whereas for someone else its a tool to let them ride 50 miles and do the downhills as well.

For someone like Neil D or Voilioz its the same for training but doing MORE … for others it would be getting round at all… for others its a way to miss some climbs whereas for others it’s using the same effort and getting it out of the way faster or just climbing something unclimbable on a non-eBike.

When I used to climb (decades ago) I had a friend who only used climbing walls…. but to her they were a tool because her job was caring a F-ing big camera up huge cliffs and trees… (You’ll have seen some of her stuff on BBC Wildlife progs)  .. she wasn’t lazy or fat.. she did loads and loads of other sports and worked out … she just saw climbing walls as a tool.  Some people will see e-vies the same way… other’s will want to use them in new and interesting ways and others who wouldn’t be able to ride otherwise or keep up with friends/family will use them for that.

I think like climbing walls some will use them as a tool .. for alpinism or even bouldering… whereas others will make a whole new discipline.  I’m old enough to remember when a climbing wall was a small enough cliff you could top rope btw.

kerley
    Free Member

I can see a future where e-bikes become entirely prevalent and their usage is limited in much the same way as other vehicles

If that happened, and a big IF, people can just go back to riding pedal bikes as they did before/do now

DezB
    Free Member

Fancy listing all the non-e-bike threads? For comparison like… Should they all be put in the one thread?..

Said he, handily ignoring the last 3 words of the quoted post.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Care to list all the regularly occurring threads?

Or you could just not click on them.

andyrm
    Free Member

5:34 shows exactly the kind of problem the haters are talking about. Inexperienced, unskilled fatties out on ebikes and riding way out of control:

martymac

Nealglover, i read your post about the guy who rides 2 miles to work as ‘cardboard dream Machine’ 😂😂

trevmccdonald
    Free Member

It’s obvious in every way that they are better to ride, when they work.

I just can’t be arsed with them yet as there is bound to be more mechanical and electrical things that could go wrong on them.

The Local Bike Technician told me he won’t fix my ebike if I bought one, as he has no experience of working on them.

The maintenance is the issue

andyl
    Free Member

I tried a few different systems out today: Brose (Specialized), Yamaha (Giant) and Bosch (Trek), still want to try a Shimano. Bosch was not for me.

I was wondering if there will be a much bigger 2nd had market at bike shops for these, they are now a much more serious investment and I think fancy finishing kit is now less important. I honestly think if I get one I won’t bother blinging it up, partly as the outlay is so high in the first place but also as I just want cheap tough components and dont care about weight. That will make it feel more like just an item, rather than something I have an emotional attachment to so it is more likely to remain stock and thus resellable.

Due to reliability concerns people will probably rather buy from a shop so they have some form of warranty and assurance it is all working as it should be.

The investment is so high you wont really want to have n+1 ebikes lying around, now will you particularly need to as why do you need a 170mm travel down hill ebike and a lightweight XC ebike? So you will probably want to trade in a bike for the next one. Upgrades will be difficult and I fear they will have built in obsolescence so you will want to get shot after so long. We complain now about new standards but what if Bosch suddenly decide a new motor mounting configuration? When the new improved motor system comes out you may have to upgrade the whole system including frame.

Going to be a big change for sure.

nealglover
    Free Member

but what if Bosch suddenly decide a new motor mounting configuration? When the new improved motor system comes out you may have to upgrade the whole system including frame.

Although that scenario is hugely unlikely (Full backwards compatibility of the new Bosch Powerpack 500 A’s an example) but it’s no different to wheel size really, You just keep riding what you already own, like those of us with nothing but 26” bikes still.

The maintenance is the issue

So you keep saying (is it 3 or 4 times now ?)  If you think it’s a big problem, then probably best not to get one,

but a lot of people I know that do own them, don’t have the maintainance issues that you are imagining they do.

kerley
    Free Member

It’s obvious in every way that they are better to ride

No it isn’t.  I would rather ride my 8kg bike around the terrain where I live than a heavy e bike.  I like light bikes (the way they handle, bunny hop, move about etc,.) and I am not interested in having assistance from a motor.

So for me, no they are not better to ride in every way.

stevextc
    Free Member

I was wondering if there will be a much bigger 2nd had market at bike shops for these, they are now a much more serious investment and I think fancy finishing kit is now less important. I honestly think if I get one I won’t bother blinging it up, partly as the outlay is so high in the first place but also as I just want cheap tough components and dont care about weight. That will make it feel more like just an item, rather than something I have an emotional attachment to so it is more likely to remain stock and thus resellable.

Due to reliability concerns people will probably rather buy from a shop so they have some form of warranty and assurance it is all working as it should be.

The investment is so high you wont really want to have n+1 ebikes lying around, now will you particularly need to as why do you need a 170mm travel down hill ebike and a lightweight XC ebike? So you will probably want to trade in a bike for the next one. Upgrades will be difficult and I fear they will have built in obsolescence so you will want to get shot after so long. We complain now about new standards but what if Bosch suddenly decide a new motor mounting configuration? When the new improved motor system comes out you may have to upgrade the whole system including frame.

Going to be a big change for sure.

Definitely a big change but I think the change will be different for different people.

Built in obsolescence is the way the bike industry works… I don’t really see that changing.

For many I don’t think these will replace N+1 … especially those who like to dabble in different disciplines.

I can’t see it replacing my DJ bike… and I don’t fancy lifting one onto an uplift trailer all day either.

My XC bike doesn’t get much use anymore but when it does it’s nice to have…

A longer travel e-bike might replace my trail bike but I’d need to be going further afield to get the same exercise…  or replace that with the XC bike… (At the moment I can nip to Swinley and get 2-3 hours in and not be far off 15mph …. where the trail allows… so I can get a good blast .. 3-4 hours total .. with an eBike I think I’d need to do Surrey Hills…  to get the same exercise in 2-3 hours riding.

Now I write that it seems attractive 😀  … I usually get bored with the climbs on pitch hill and especially when I ride the road up and I’m parked there the temptation to not do the climb again for 2-3 mins of descending can be strong.

On the other hand if i lived where my brother lives it would transform what I rode… presently its ride to the trails or ride the trails but when I borrowed his eBike suddenly riding to the trails then riding them was possible.  (and quite frankly the ride to the trails is either road bike or a damned challenging day out on the XC bike that’s little fun on the trails when you get there.)

seosamh77
    Free Member

I don’t fancy lifting one onto an uplift trailer all day either.

😆

BigJohn

Yesterday I had an appointment near Llandegla so I decided to ride a couple of laps of the red beforehand.  I did the first on my Cotic Soul Mk 1 which was fun ( given the dull nature of the place) and I did the second on Mrs BigJohn’s Giant Dirt-e. Ok, I got up the hill in half the time but I really didn’t get much out of the ride.  The bike is great for allowing us to ride together but I won’t be getting one soon.

And I’m a 15 stone 65 yr old.

geex
    Free Member

Yeah  I’d heard Giants emtbs weren’t great. Try a good one.

geex
    Free Member

I’ve ridden all sorts of bikes in “dull” places. It’s generally not rubbish. But I think it depends on the attitude of the rider rather than the bike or the location.

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 235 total)

The topic ‘E-bike prevalence’ is closed to new replies.