Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 70 total)
  • Dyson – are they still any good?
  • clunker

About to invest a couple of hundred quid, have had our current Dyson for the last ten years gets used daily cleaning up after our freerange children. Appears to me now that the other manufactures (some a lot cheaper) have caught up?

Cheers
    Domesticated Matt

thegreatape
    Free Member

I bet that most people will tell you to get a Henry.

When our Dyson broke I got an Electrolux for about £70. It was woeful.

Then we got a Henry Xtra and it does the job pretty well. Think it was about £130.

I reckon you still get what you pay for.

jonk

I bought an LG after my dc01 broke after 9 years service. The LG (cost £189) broke after a year only has a year warranty and now im back with a dyson animal ball with its 5 years warranty for £199.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

The dysons still seem a bit fragile and the hoses are made of cheese

We got a Miele S7210 and it's been faultless so far

nickc

I bought a Sebo, 'cause the nice woman at John Lewis told me to. It's been pretty good

sharkbait
    Free Member

+1 for Miele we use a TT5000 (Dog and Cat) and it's really very very good.

mangoridebike

no idea if they're still any good, ours is over 5 years old and was starting to make a funny noise, a call to dyson and they sourced the problem over the phone and we were able to fix it ourselves at no cost.

I think that level of customer service is impressive

similar to Oakley in my eyes

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Had Dyson. Broke it repeatedly. Now have Henry. No probs so far.

The Dyson had more "suck" when it was new, but the filters soon clogged, and once that happens the motor starts to overheat and eventually cooks itself, despite the thermal trip.

ski
    Free Member

5 years warranty

Its a good one too

We had an engineer come to sort out a motor issue, called us first to see what time and date would be best for us to the nearest hour(none of this morn/afternoon only appointment) service was very good tbh.

Currys were doing the DC 25 animal, down from £299 to £199 at Xmas, which seemed to be a good deal (ball, Hepa filter, uses washable filters)

Its a Marmite product though 😉

uplink
    Free Member

We've got a Dyson & a Henry both good IMO

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Mine packed up last night (like the chap above) after about 9 years.
    Although a good percentage of that was as a single man and therefore it didnt get used too much. The wife has been moaning about it for ages (she didn't like how heavy it was) so maybe she has sabotaged it !!

So which one to get…. The roller ball one, the pull it behind you type or, because of weight issues, the slim line one that dyson does.

Or pay up for a meile

Drac

I've had two Dysons now and only bought the second as it more features than the first. They've been excellent, never faulted, just clean the filters as per instructions and you have no trouble.

As others have said now they have a 5 year warranty and still do the call out and fix for a set price thing too.

ourmaninthenorth

Lobbed a Dyson in the tip at the end of last year. I suspect making it clean up during and after a house renovation took its toll. It was probably a slightly impetuous decision, so we need to buy a new vacuum.

Mrs North wants a Dyson or a Miele or a Sebo. I want the cleaners to hoover properly when they come.

stumpy01

We recently had to get a new vacuum cleaner. We used to have a Dyson which packed in, which we replaced with a woeful Hoover Freespace cylinder cleaner. That lasted about a year, but we were never convinced it was actually cleaning anything up.

I looked around a fair bit & found a Samsung cleaner on the Argos website. It's an upright, around about £120 (I think it's £118.95) and it's excellent. I think the model they are currently selling is dark blue/black with a few small yellow bits on it.
    And it's brilliant. The first time we used it, it filled the canister in no time at all, as it was picking up all the stuff the old hoover had failed to collect in a year (mainly cat hairs!). The carpet looked totally different.
    It comes with a decent length hose for cleaning the stairs with a rotating brush attachemnt thing, the cord is a decent length and it's really easy to empty when full.

I was swayed by the reviews on the Argos website. There was well over 100 reviews and it had 4.5/5 stars. The main complaints were that the hose wouldn't reach the full length (height) of the stairs and it's a bit noisy.

clunker

Currys still have the £199 offer as this is what Mrs Clunks has her eye on. Not ready to get my wallet out yet 😉

DrRSwank
    Free Member

Dysons all the way.

I have three – a cylinder, an upright, and an ickle hand held one.

The cylinder must be 10 years old at least and still works great despite being used for hoovering soot out of our wood burning stove!

What I like about them is they do have more suck then almost anything else I've used (oooh-errr) and they're dead easy to take apart and clean. That's the tip for long life – a clean sucker.

I wash out the filters once a year and all of the mechanism (so the dust bin) at the same time.

And if anything does break – Dyson keep cheap spares available for old models on line and they are quick on delivery.

I will never change….

cp

yep – I just got a dyson from debenhams ebay outlet – was reduced from 300 to 180. it's a multi-surface version and is excellent.

I can't believe i got excited about a vacuum!

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Hey Clunker…. the curry's one at £199 is the DC24 ( I think !! ) Nice and light weight but less power then the "standard" DC25!?!

That samsung one from argos is now just £60

Lionheart
    Free Member

We have been here before on stw. Our Dyson lasted maybe two years, so not keen on them here but the Henry (ex-our old offices) 7-8 years old still great. My real insight was at the tip/re-cycle yard (Devon) where they have an iso just for old Dysons that goes off to a repair/re-cycle bits shop near London, the iso is filled every 3-4 months! They get a few of the others but never get old Henrys and rarely get Miele.

shepleg
    Free Member

oh my god is this is what it's come to posting about hoovers on a thursday morning………….

Henry by the way, have broken a couple dysons, and lime plaster dust knackers any hoover…………

I'm off to have a word with myself….

tumnurkoz
    Free Member

dyson. if they do go wrong they are easy to fix, even replacing a motor is relatively straightforward (my 10 yo son does it-he collects them!) a lot of dysons die because no-one cleans the filters (pre and post motor-they should be done monthly and it takes minutes), the brushes then go on the motor and they end up on the tip. a new motor is £40 from dyson and like i said,easy to replace.

Pieface

Our Dyson is about 5 years old and has never been particularly powerful as an upright. Seems to have a lot of suck through the hose.

Is this normal?

AndyP
    Free Member

Miele. Dyson seem to be the Hope discs of the vacuum cleaner world. You either get one that works, and swear by it, or you get several dodgy ones and have never actually met anyone who has got one to work well. And the customer service varies between excellent and utter toss.

oh my god is this is what it's come to posting about hoovers on a thursday morning………….
    I do hope you're not using a brand name as a general term for vacuum cleaners…

shepleg
    Free Member

stop encouraging me to post on this thread, I've already given it far to much thought! and yes I meant vacuum cleaners.

stumpy01

@ Ro5ey – yeah Sainsbury's were doing the Samsung one for £60 about 4 weeks after I bought one. Typical!

Ours is also the older version I think, in 'old folks home' colours and no storage clip for the brush tool attachment. Still a great hoover though & for £60 it's a steal.
    Not as solid (erm, heavy) as a Dyson, but so far we are well impressed and if you can pick it up for £60, it's a bargain even if it only lasts a few yrs.

sweepy
    Free Member

when i first moved to Scotland I worked as a cleaner. Henrys were the bane of my life, cant stand the things.

ourmaninthenorth

That samsung one from argos is now just £60

Just reserved one, though gawd knows how I'll get it home on the back of my bike…! 😀

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Miele Cat & Dog has nailed the Which tests for the last couple of years.
    It's suction is so good it makes hoovering a work out.

cinnamon_girl

Another vote for Miele.

dooosuk
    Free Member

JonEdwards – Member

… but the filters soon clogged, and once that happens the motor starts to overheat and eventually cooks itself, despite the thermal trip.

You are aware that you're meant to clean them aren't you? 😯

I know someone who works for Dyson and has sourced cheap machines for myself and other friends and family. Nobody has had an issue with reliability and as said above, the customer service is very good from what I know. Diagnosis of issue and replacement parts sent out etc or an engineer to fix it if need be.

There seems to be a lot of haters for some reason though.

Grimy
    Free Member

The Dysons are very good vacumes. As long as you clean the filters out under the tap every now and again, they will last forever. Ive repaired half a dozzen dysons for freinds and family now, and the majority had nothing more than cloged filters causing them to overheat.

The parts are dirt cheap and readily available, with the most expensive part being the Motors, one of which I replaced in my pearents 9 year old animal. £35 delivered, probably last another 9 years now too.

ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

My 8 year ols Dyson DC04 is still going strong. Its worth knowing that over time the cyclone mechanism can become clogged up resulting in overheating and lack of suction. It is an easy job to dissamble the cyclone assembly, undo all the screws you can find, the rest of the parts are pressfitted and come apart with a quick tap on a hard surace, wash all the parts in soapy water and pick out all the crud and reassemble.

namastebuzz
    Free Member

SEBO – every time.

Looks plain, doesn't have a big motor or flashing lights. Just wonderfully designed and engineered. Made by Germans you see. The John Lewis salesman called it "The Mercedes of hoovers."

Easier/lighter to use than other hoovers. Works great on dog hair. Automatically adjusts brushes to correct height. You have to change bags/filters but it's easy enough.

5yr warranty and great back up service.

Got mine 13yrs ago. Still works like it was new.
    My whole family bought them soon after(4 more) and still working fine.

They are just nicer and better to use than any other hoover I've tried. I'm sure Dysons work well enough but they're clunky, plasticky and awkward to use IMHO.

It's the BEST £200 I've ever spent on any ANY electrical item EVER 🙂

(And I've bought a LOT of stuff over my lifetime)

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

a lot of dysons die because no-one cleans the filters (pre and post motor-they should be done monthly and it takes minutes), the brushes then go on the motor and they end up on the tip. a new motor is £40 from dyson and like i said,easy to replace

+1. We're on our second Dyson. Destroyed the first one by using it to clean builders mess every day. Just replaced the motor on 4 year old – used every day to suck up the hair left by 5 labradors. It's the only machine that does not leave the house stinking of dog after you've hoovered

takisawa2

Replaced our DC01 with a Bissel, the one with the lift-out centre. Is very good. Filters rinse out under the tap. Very happy with it. Dyson now confined to the garage for car cleaning (when I can be arsed).

ahwiles
    Free Member

vacuum cleaners? – it's all about the vorwerk:

Drac

Filters rinse out under the tap

Ooh just like a Dyson then.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

wassup with your current one? they are pretty much fully serviceable, virtually every part is available as a spare

molgrips
    Free Member

Lobbed a Dyson in the tip at the end of last year. I suspect making it clean up during and after a house renovation took its toll.

It does say in the instructions that super fine dust like plaster dust causes it to clog. Although there are instructions online as to how to clean it out.

We looked at hoovers a couple of years ago, we wanted a cylinder one (for ease of cleaning two flights of stairs) but also one with a beater bar in the head. There were only a couple of others with the beater bar but they looked so absolutely crappy and flimsy that it had to be Dyson – loathe as I am to get the same thing as everyone else, I did shop around and made a choice on what I wanted from what was available. Speaking as someone who rides an Orange 5 🙂

Availability of spares for dyson is great. Lost a tool, few quid online job done.

clunker

Thanks for all your help, we went for the Dyson now taking pride of place next to my bikes 😀

The beyond repair DC01 will be off to the recycle centre.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 70 total)

The topic ‘Dyson – are they still any good?’ is closed to new replies.