Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Dyno-Rod alternatives?
  • mooman
    Free Member

Blockage in the pipe going from toilet stink pipe and sewer (kids eh) … only firm I could think of was Dyno-rod.
    To be fair they turned up within the hour on a Saturday afternoon; took about 20 mins to hose it clear … and charged £180.
    I couldn’t have done it myself – shit job literally – needed it sorted asap, so not really grumbling about the cost. But even though we have never had this problem before, I would just like to know of a cheaper alternative if it does ever happen again.

beaker

I had similar earlier this year. I went on Check a trade.com and looked at local companies with good ratings. The bloke was at the house within the hour (on a Saturday) and he got the blockage cleared. All in it was £120.

Jamie
    Free Member

Yeah your best option is to either say where you located to maybe get some local recommendations, or check Yell/Check-a-trade type sites for your local firms.

slackalice
    Free Member

The cheapest alternative would be to buy yourself a set of drain rods, lift the inspection chamber lid and clear the blockage yourself.

Yes, it is a shit job, but it’s your shit and if we are to grow and develop as a person, we need to, at many times in our lives, deal with our own shit.

Sometimes however, it can be easier to deal with other people’s shit rather than our own.

beaker

I spent a happy couple of hours up to my elbows rodding using borrowed rods. I gave up and called the drain company in. The blockage was easily out of reach of the 10 meters worth of rod that I had. As the adult male at the Beaker residence I deal with everyone else’s sh*t including the cat.

newrobdob
    Free Member

Cost me £80 for a local bloke to do the same, he used all his Jetters and CCTV too. No fancy van signwriting or uniform, just a 50ish guy who really knew his stuff. I asked him how much he charged when I phoned him, he said £80 per hour. I asked how long these things normally take and he answered “well if I can’t do it in one hour it’s a bit of a poor do isn’t it?” I thought yes, that’s the guy I need!

poolman
    Free Member

I d keep rods, those big gloves that come up to your elbows and a mask and do it yourself. Once unblocked a pipe with a neighbour. Just celebrate after with the money saved. Its a horrible job but if prepared its 15 mins max.

mariner
    Free Member

I used garden canes, gaffer tape and mains pressure hose to do mine.
    Better to work up stream than down as long as you can get out of the way when the dam breaks.

MrPottatoHead

I have borrowed a Karcher extension for clearing drains. Does a great job – the spray goes out and backwards so it pulls itself along the pipe clearing everything out.

stigofthedump1
    Free Member

Arn’nt water company’s now responsible for the drains on your property, as well as the supply? Thought they were made to be a few years back.

tthew

Arn’nt water company’s now responsible for the drains on your property, as well as the supply? Thought they were made to be a few years back.

Depends how old the house (1930 is the cut off point I think) and if it’s a shared drain.

We’re at the end of a run, so not strictly a shared drain, but they’ve been to our neighbours which ours pass into a couple of times free of charge and always lifted our covers to check we are clear.

mooman
    Free Member

MrPottatoHead – Member
    a Karcher extension for clearing drains. Does a great job – the spray goes out and backwards so it pulls itself along the pipe clearing everything out.

Will look at that option.

franksinatra

There are some trades I am happy to pay for. Unlocking sewars is one. Getting the vet to empty the dogs anal glands is the other.

project
    Free Member

Dyno rod are owned by british gas, so beaware of a higher price

cyclepathologist
    Free Member

Dyno are franchised to British Gas. Private work (householder doesn’t have an insurance policy for plumbing and drains with British Gas) has nothing to do with British Gas and the local Dyno franchise will set its own rates for ‘on demand’ work, the same as any independent rods company.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

I had a recommended local company in to CCTV my section of a shared drain. They proposed £1500 of work to my section. Got Severn Trent in to do their section and they said there was nothing wrong with any of it…

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Dyno-Rod alternatives?’ is closed to new replies.