Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Durable dog harness
  • RustyNissanPrairie

Can anyone recommend a massively durable and strong dog harness with a handle?
    Our Karelian Bear Dog (very strong powerful hunting dog from Finland) has this morning ripped the attachment ring out of his Hurtta harness whilst we were tracking deer through brush/bracken/tight forest. A Ruffwear Flagline lasted literally weeks before falling apart.
    He’s always on a long line or lead but goes absolutely mental when he gets a deer scent and especially when they spring up and take off – the chase is on!!!

I don’t want a Julious K9 and it needs a handle for hauling him up rocks and over fences etc.
    Google searches always show Ruffwear or Amazon Chinese junk – just wondering if there’s a small UK maker of ‘hardcore’ harnesses that I’ve not found yet?

TIA

solarider
    Free Member

Why not Julius K9?

It has a handle, it fits well (particularly the 2nd gen. version), and generally last well.

I considered lots before settling on the Julius, including the Ruffwear. Ruffwear do make some great gear, but their harnesses are generally reckoned to be made of cheese.

Otherwise I hear good things about Hunter if you can get one.

frankiefingers
    Free Member

Ruff Wear is the harness of choice for mountain rescue teams. My dog has been wearing one for 11 years it’s shown barely any signs of wear during that time. He’s been fell running and chased me on my MTB many times. I think it’s even climbing rated.

Vader
    Free Member

This thread is useless without pics of Bert

RustyNissanPrairie

More than happy to oblige!

RustyNissanPrairie

Ruff Wear is the harness of choice for mountain rescue teams. My dog has been wearing one for 11 years it’s shown barely any signs of wear during that time. He’s been fell running and chased me on my MTB many times. I think it’s even climbing rated.

Bert killed a Flagline in less than 6 months – I sold the warranty replacement immediately, the webbing is too thin and the aluminium attachment hoop and it’s webbing weren’t strong or durable enough. I shouldn’t have bought it in the first place really.

Vader
    Free Member

More than happy to oblige!

Dog of the Year right there

z1ppy

No handle* but we do like the Perfect fit (40mm for larger dogs) dog harness, as it coming in three parts you can buy individually, to tailor it to your dog. Our dogs, though not as big as Bert, haven’t managed to damage them or show any signs of wear.

* could you use the top strap?

piemonster

I don’t think they will work, but worth looking to see what Canicross harnesses might work?

My dog never tries to back out of his harness which is definitely possible.

RustyNissanPrairie

don’t think they will work, but worth looking to see what Canicross harnesses might work?

My dog never tries to back out of his harness which is definitely possible.

A Nonstop canicross harness is on my list but Bert has a big upwards curly bushy tail and I think the lead attachment point would hinder it. I noticed awhile ago someone on the US KBD Facemither group with one – need to contact them.

RustyNissanPrairie

No handle* but we do like the Perfect fit (40mm for larger dogs) dog harness, as it coming in three parts you can buy individually, to tailor it to your dog. Our dogs, though not as big as Bert, haven’t managed to damage them or show any signs of wear.

* could you use the top strap?

Thanks for the suggestion but really needs a handle – have hauled him up slippery rocks and out of water a few times with his Hurtta harness handle.

…..and that Perfect fit website is giving me a headache!

steveb

Possibly try these guys for a custom made in UK option? (based in Cumbria)

fleecedogharnesses

Had one for our crazy ESS, lasted well. Front attachement did fail eventually. Still use the double ended lead everyday as its really comfortable, although a with a Halti now.

TooTall
    Free Member

Train the dog not to pull?

Unless the dog is in a pulling harness there’s no reason for a dog to keep pulling.

As a former rottie owner this is a serious point. That’s a big strong dog.

benp1

I have a ruffwear flagline for my lab and have been impressed with it. I think it’s sold as a lighter weight version, it’s quite packable.Maybe a tougher version? Impressed that yours has killed it already. Is he on the lead all the time?

z1ppy

Harnesses are good to stop pulling, as you can attach at the front & top, with a double clip lead, so you can steer them back towards you & avoid being pulled along. Training your dog not to pull, is always the ultimate answer, having tools to help you is good for you & the dog. Having almost lost a suddenly panicking dog in a strange town, I’d always recommend a harness, over a collar for security too.

Ps. Bertie really is a handsome fellow, your both lucky to have found each other.

MarkyG82

Disappointed this isn’t about a harness for a durable dog.

Love a good doggo pic though!

patagonian
    Free Member

Apologies for slight thread drift but are the recommendations above better at stopping the dog “backing out” of the harness?
    Currently using a Halti anti pull harness and only asking because of an embarrassing 20 mins yesterday chasing a Beagle around 3 fields…..

doubleu
    Free Member

I’ve got two ruffwear harnesses for my cocker. One standard ‘front range’ harness that’s 3 years old now and hardly any signs of wear. This is daily use from local walking to full day trips out in forests, hills etc. Plus it’s been in the washing machine loads of times from when he decides to wear some ‘eau de fox sh*t’!

The second one is the ‘doubleback belay harness’ but that’s only used for when its more climbing than hiking. It’s seen much less use but still holding up perfectly.

The ruffwear range is probably the best range out there. As someone mentioned above, it’s used by mountain rescue teams and for good reason. If the issue is that the harness is getting destroyed when your dog is running free then you need to take the harness off before you let him off and play.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Julius k9 for us. Taken massive abuse or strong dog, filthy mud every day, washing once a week

doubleu
    Free Member

Apologies for slight thread drift but are the recommendations above better at stopping the dog “backing out” of the harness?
    Currently using a Halti anti pull harness and only asking because of an embarrassing 20 mins yesterday chasing a Beagle around 3 fields…..

The harness is not the issue. You need to train your dog.

GolfChick
    Free Member

His dog is a beagle, it’s like suggesting he teach a lion not to eat things.

RustyNissanPrairie

Train the dog not to pull?

KBD’s are pretty full on dogs and used for bear protection and hunting wild boar, deer etc. They ‘tree’ or trap their game rather than attack/kill it and alert their handler with a different distinctive bark for each type of prey. I’ve heard his deer and pig barks. His nose is amazing!

Because they are highly intelligent dogs his walks especially at weekend try to mimic what he’s been bred to do so we are up on the moors and dropping into valleys/forests etc tracking deer. I don’t mind him pulling when a deer suddenly bolts in front of us but Bert needs the hardware to match.

A walk round the local public park is fine with him trotting about sniffing and at home he’s calm and chilled.

I have a ruffwear flagline for my lab and have been impressed with it. I think it’s sold as a lighter weight version, it’s quite packable.Maybe a tougher version? Impressed that yours has killed it already. Is he on the lead all the time?

There are a few local ‘benign’ parks where I know there aren’t deer that he has a run about in when it’s quiet and pre Covid he loved a run on the beach.

doubleu
    Free Member

His dog is a beagle, it’s like suggesting he teach a lion not to eat things.

Ridiculous statement. A lion is a wild animal. The beagle breed has been domesticated for hundreds of years, just like most other dogs that we keep as pets. Beagle’s can (and should) be trained like other domestic dogs for recall and in the other posters case, being comfortable in a harness. I have friends which are beagle owners and they are fine to be off lead with perfect recall. The key is thorough, consistent reward based training.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Julius K9, all the way. Don’t fight it. Mates with a badly trained bullmastiff (rescue) went through every other harness before getting one, never looked back.

Ridiculous statement. A lion is a wild animal. The beagle breed has been domesticated for hundreds of years, just like most other dogs that we keep as pets. Beagle’s can (and should) be trained like other domestic dogs for recall and in the other posters case, being comfortable in a harness. I have friends which are beagle owners and they are fine to be off lead with perfect recall. The key is thorough, consistent reward based training.

As the owner of a greyhound, it’s you that’s being ridiculous.

frankiefingers
    Free Member

Sounds like you need to bite the bullet and get the more expensive climbing/belay rated one. You won’t get better than Ruff Wear – if you do find one let the local MRT know they’ll be interested for sure.

patagonian
    Free Member

The harness is not the issue. You need to train your dog.

You know that……I know that however unfortunately nobody has told the Beagle PUPPY.
    But thanks for asking and the training is going reasonably well except for the occasional lapse when he gets excited. Any tips on instant training gratefully accepted.

Inbred456
    Free Member

Ha ha ha Beagles are just like other dogs!
    Beagles in my opinion are nothing like other dogs. Unless you’ve had one, I haven’t and have no intention of ever having one, but I have several friends who were stupid enough to get one even two, lovely dogs at times but they are without doubt the most stubborn, wilful, self contained escape artists who will quite happily disappear for several days whilst rolling in every type of animal poo for a laugh and then turn up on the doorstep as if nothing has happened.

plus-one

My dogs could back up and get out of there julious K9 harnesses quite easily. Binned them

franksinatra

Not sure where all this MRT chat about Ruffwear is from. Most SARDA dogs wear an orange high viz jacket. A few handlers will use harness through personal preference or because a supplier (sometimes Ruffwear) sponsors their local or national association.

For helicopter winching a winch harness is used, this is totally different kit though and not suitable for walking around in. Its like a mesh sack with holes for the head and legs and lots of strops on top.

Nothing against Ruffwear, its high quality kit and I am happy to use it

Trainee (on sabbatical from training) Search Dog Pippa not wearing a harness.

The guys who do trailing tend to use Ruffwear or Julius K9. Both really solid. If you are still struggling after that maybe look in to what the sled dogs use, they really pull!

Sandwich

The beagle breed has been domesticated for hundreds of years, just like most other dogs that we keep as pets.

Spoken by someone who has never owned one. They are a hunting, pack hound. On their own they are wilful, deaf, scent driven fiends in cute bodies. If you choose your puppy and he doesn’t have possession of the communal brain when you collect him, oh dear.

Never, ever, ever again will I own one. NEVER!! (tries not to point and laugh at doubleu’s predicament).

supercarp

https://www.makemylead.co.uk/collections/police-and-military-collection

Cost a bit more than off the shelf but should be strong for your dog.

I have one of his collar’s for my dog very good quality

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Durable dog harness’ is closed to new replies.