Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Dummies guide to F1 viewing IRL (Silverstone next weekend)
  • stuart_c
    Free Member

Hi all,

Got the 13y/o and myself tickets to Silverstone F1 next weekend and really need to start thinking of the logistics of it all. Any seasoned spectators/day goers here who can impart some guidance on things to watch out for or make sure we do/avaoid?

I have got the “onsite” parking booked but still expect a bit of a walk, am thinking of trying to set us up in the Club/Vale area.

Already know it will be an early start to the day, but what times do I realistically need to be aiming to getting to site for to have any hope of not being too late for everything and ending up with crap viewing and loads of queues for everything? Any tips/hacks to make the day enjoyable for the boy? Have also figured we will need both factor 1,000 sun cream and a stormproof rain coat for the day because, you know, England.

Please prepare me…

Twodogs

I personally think Club and Vale aren’t the best cos the cars look slow there. Even if you don’t stay all day it’s worth positioning yourself to see cars entering Copse from the National Pits straight…at ground level the cornering speed is phenomenal.

I’ve only ever been with grandstand tickets which let you wander around too…Maggots, Beckets are good too.

Get there about 2 hours before you think you need to 😂 and be prepared for a very long wait to leave at the end of the day.

Warm clothes…there’s no escaping the wind if the weather is shite

Are you just going for the day?

multi21
    Free Member

Second the above ^ I can’t remember what the general admission situation is around Maggotts/Becketts but if you are able to get there, it is so worth it. The performance of the cars is just mind blowing. You see the sports cars go through in the earlier races and think “yeah that’s pretty quick” then the F1 cars come through and it’s just another level altogether.

It’s worth taking bog roll and a radio if you want to know what’s going on in the actual race.

stuart_c
    Free Member

Just there for the day, couldn’t warrant making a whole weekend of it as not sure he would have the actual patience for all of it.

Have had Copse/Maggots/Becketts suggested to us for the real view of what the cars can do, but been told it’s quite isolated other than that.

Have downloaded radio apps on to phones as seemingly nobody I know has good old fashioned twisty dial FM radios these days?

Would love to go wandering throughout the day but if we get a good spot early on I’d not then want to lose it. German towel syndrome.

bails

If it’s anything like the MotoGP I saw there it will be LOUD. Consider ear plugs/ear defenders.

I’m sure it will be busier for f1 than MotoGP but it was all well organised. Food and drink us expensive as you’d expect so take snacks with you.

thepurist

Warm clothes…there’s no escaping the wind if the weather is shite

So true – had a grandstand seat one cloudy windy July day and I think it’s the coldest I’ve ever felt.

Years since I’ve been, but if you want to understand what “get there early” means just check what time the car parks open.

pondo

Awesome – have a fab time! 🙂 Just an expansion on the above – I’d consider FM radios with headphones pretty essential, so you can hear the circuit commentary (it always used to be fantastic), and I’d pick FM over any app, I’m sure networks will be busy and it’ll always lag behind FM anyway. There will almost certainly be little one-person over-ear radios for sale onsite – not much use elsewhere, but a nice little momento. 🙂

Is it raceday you’re going? That will be brilliant, although I’d probably suggest picking a spot in advance and heading straight there, as movement (and decent spots!) will get gobbled up smartish. Copse and Becketts are fantastic for seeing what the cars can do, but there’s the potential for that novelty to wear off, if that’s all you see all day – Club may not be as spectacular, but you’ll have prime seats for the noise and atmosphere of the start, you might get the odd overtake, you’ll see before anyone else when someone makes that crucial pitstop, there’s normally a big diamond screen so you’ll see if anything hapoens elsewhere, and you’re well placed to see the podium ceremony.

I would imagine that everyone will take camping chairs – depending on how secure your spot and how nice your neighbours are, that might give you the chance to pop and have a look at other bits of the circuit, and it sounds like you have this in mind already, but it’s an airfield – it will either be blisteringly hot or proper baltic, be prepared for both and all bits inbetween!

Take food and lots to drink if you can – food is plentiful and varied, and wasn’t TOO painfully expensive last time I went, but getting on and off the banks is a pain once everybody’s in place.

Most of all, enjoy – hope you’re blessed with a great race and both have a fantastic time. 🙂

footflaps

You get earplugs in your ticket pack, but as someone with tinitus I’d not go anywhere near the place without half a dozen spare pairs which I know work well…

It’s incredibly loud!

stuart_c
    Free Member

Pondo, yes race day only. If we were doing multiple days then would absolutely have done 1 at Copse/Maggots/Becketts for the “oooph that’s fast” moment and then a day at Club/Vale for the atmosphere.

Have now acquired an FM radio so can keep in on the info from that. Couple of camp chairs sorted, now need to see how much we can manage to carry in terms of clothing and food to cover all the bases.

multi21
    Free Member

footflaps

You get earplugs in your ticket pack, but as someone with tinitus I’d not go anywhere near the place without half a dozen spare pairs which I know work well…

It’s incredibly loud!

Ear plugs are a good call, or tight fitting in-ear headphones with your radio.
    The current cars are loud but not compared to the V8s. I
    went one time during the exhaust blowing era and that was effing loud.

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

Cool thread.

We are going for our first ever GP too 🙂 Was mine and my sons christmas present.

We have tickets for the whole weekend with grandstand seats (Cant remember which area) and my wife has booked park and ride tickets too for us.

Cant wait, its been a little expensive in the grand scheme of things but i am hoping me and my son (19) enjoy it so much we might entertain travelling abroad and doing some camping type trips to watch some more.

Warm coat – check
    Radio – check

Whats the score with food. Take it with us or pay while there?

Any other words of wisdom please let us know.

redmex
    Free Member

Son and myself are heading there him driving down, payback for all the forests for rallies, Knockhill btcc many times , glentress , laggan I must have driven so many miles over the years as dad taxi and he still loves the enduro scene and the motorsport

multi21
    Free Member

This came up on Reddit today, thought it might be useful

yetidave
    Free Member

We are going for the three days. There are good FB pages with good chat on regarding what to expect. Can’t wait, its going to be a long three days at work this week before we head south..

multi21
    Free Member

So those who went, did you have a good weekend? 🙂

redmex
    Free Member

Sebastian Vettel driving Nigel Mansells Williams Labbats Canon 92
    FW14b was so good to see, the red arrows were spectacular, the race was great but so much hostility towards Max in the crowd so delighted his car was damaged almost like on this thread. Noisy chatting folk behind constantly I wish they’d STFU
    The rain was so close at the start as a huge dark cloud above us
    Walked twice around the circuit on Sunday amazed at how big the place was and a lap walk on the tarmac looking at how good the tarmac is

chrispoffer

I’m now even more excited for our F1 trip next month – we’re doing a road trip to Spa.

The racing at the weekend was amazing. Can everyone please pray for sunshine in the Ardenne? 😀

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Envious of your Spa trip. Not planned on the calendar next year, nor is Suzuka apparently.

stuart_c
    Free Member

There for the Sunday. Got there mega early. Printed tickets seemingly fell out my pocket somewhere between the car and the gate! Slight panic until it became clear I could use the digital version on my phone. Luckily the phone signal was still working at 6 in the morning to login and get them. After that my phone was basically a paperweight for the day. Very glad I took an FM radio now.

Atmosphere was great, also took a walk of the circuit during the F2 race to get a feel for the place. Left our chairs but Vale and they were still there when we got back for the F1, very relieved with that. As has been said, seeing Mansell’s car (and hearing it) was cool and the crowd reaction was great. During the race hearing the roar every time Lewis came round shows the passion and added to the day. Last 10-12 laps great racing, all it needed was a 30 seconds of rain in there and it would’ve been the perfect race.

Would really love to do Spa 1 year, it’s always on around my birthday so would be an awesome present, might have to save up for a few years for that 1 though.

chrispoffer

Spa ticket prices compare really well with Silverstone, it’s just the whole “it’s in another country” thing that adds to the cost 🙂

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.