• This topic has 26 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by Yak.
Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • DUB bottom brackets
  • razorrazoo

SRAM is about £32.  Uber is £40.  Worth paying the extra (and maybe finding a discount code)?  Any other options that aren’t nearer a ton?

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Uber is stainless isn’t it?

Edit – I see they are.

IME dub BBs are about as good as shimano HT2 – for me they last about a year before dying of water penetration and you cant refit the cups with new bearings because they’re not commonly available.

Personally Id give the Uber a try now theres so little in it.

Yak

Sram last longer if you repack the bearings from new and make sure there isn’t standing water in the bb shell – drill a hole if there isn’t one. Even so a year would be good going. More like 3-6months on my wife’s bike.

Kamakazie

Uberbike bearings are replaceable which I couldn’t seem to do on the SRAM one so was an easy decision to try the Uber for me. So far so good but only been on 3 months.

martinhutch

You could try a thread-together BB, more expensive to start with, but it would allow you to drift out and replace just the bearings rather than have to throw 30 quid at a new BB every time. Also might improve tolerances and boost bearing life that way.

Rickos
    Free Member

£25 for this one from CRC. Never heard of Prime, but looks nicely machined from the photos. I need one myself, so might give this a shot. Current one was new in June and is getting stiff after a hose down if I just leave it to dry and don’t squirt something around it.

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/prime-threaded-bottom-bracket-sram-dub-/rp-prod198682

Yak

Yeah, also just got a prime one to try. Got to be worth a go and cheaper.

dc1988

I think Prime are a CRC/Wiggle own brand for road bikes.

razorrazoo

Interested in any feedback on the prime.  Reviews state the sram spacer is incompatible which confuses matters.  I’ve not fitted the cranks yet, I have a used DUB bb with all the spacers but it feels a bit rough so was going to replace before fitting.

Also read somewhere that the Prime was road only, but can’t see that on the CRC site (may have been in Wiggle as Prime is an in house brand to CRC/wiggle).

edit: road use stated Here

Q&A on here states 68mm shell only

Rickos
    Free Member

razorrazoo – WiggleWill replies that the BB is 68 or 73, so not sure what you saw? CRC website makes no mention of road only.

Anyway, I’ll be able to tell you when it arrives in a week or so.

EDIT – just saw a reply to a question from a chap that says it’s 68mm and road only, so looks like it’ll be going back…

moonsaballoon

I bought a nukeproof one in the summer , mainly as it was the only one i could find in stock at the time , but i seem to remember that i justified the extra cost by the bearings being replacable .

Big-Bud
    Free Member

Ive just fitted the prime one as with my wiggle loyalty discount came to £20
    I repacked the bearings with Mobil xhp222 as the reviews of the same bb but pressfit weren’t flattering
    Also read the reviews that unlike the nukeproof one you don’t get the spacer with the prime one and the excisting SRAM dub one doesn’t fit as it recesses into the bearing spacer but I simply spent 30 seconds sanding the old SRAM dub driveside outer spacer Down to get rid of the part that sits in the cover and it worked a treat .
    Feels smooth but in all honesty I’m not expecting miracles but it was delivered next day using my wiggle+ so I could get out today .
    If it dies I’ll buy the nukeproof over the Uber one as that has a 2 year warranty on the bearings and wiggle CRC are great with things like that

Big-Bud
    Free Member

Worth noting the prime bb had token stamped on the bearings hence my conclusion it will only be average

Big-Bud
    Free Member

And disappointingly my new continental tyres I won in the Christmas giveaway the front one has a massive distortion in it happened on the first decent .the carcass has distorted down the middle.not used contis in years and won’t be in a hurry too again .

whatgoesup

The Nukeproof option looks good if the bearings are replaceable, and area a standard size.

Can anyone confirm that this is the case?

If so I might return the SRAM unit I’ve got sitting waiting to be fitted and get the Nukeproof instead.

(The SRAM unit that came with the bike it pretty grotty feeling – I’ve popped the seals off, cleaned out and regreased it so it’s fine for a while but will need swapping out soon)

razorrazoo

Nukeproof is £20 more than the Uber and replacement bearings are £30 from Crc.  Also sold out in all but 2 colours (and I need black).

Currently hoping Uber do a NY discount code.

whatgoesup

@razorrazoo – do you have a link for the CRC replacement bearings please? I’m curious to check if they’re a standard size and if so price from a normal bearing supplier.

The Uber unit looks more tempting actually.
    Same question to everyone – does anyone know what the bearings are in the Uber BB?

razorrazoo
    whatgoesup

Thanks. Not quite sure on the size from there, but interestingly the bearings are also shown as having a 2 year warranty even when sold as spare parts.

£30 a set seems pretty good if they last for 2 years.

087seb
    Free Member

Can I bring this thread back to life? I’ve been through 3 SRAM Dub BBs in about 18 months with only riding a couple times a month. Can anyone update if they had any luck with the uberbike version? Ta

razorrazoo

I plumped for the Uber bike version in the end but only one ride in so can’t comment on longevity.

honourablegeorge

I woulddn’t consider the Nukeproof BB for outdoor use. Tiny bearings with no seals. Mine lasted about 80km.

transporter13
    Free Member

Have had a sram dub threaded bb on a bike for over 2 years(1600 miles) now that’s never been touched and its still running like new. It’s on a 150mm travel enduro bike that’s been used for everything from woburn jumps to lake district trail rides in all weathers and is probably the most reliable (external bb) threaded bb I’ve ever bought.

squealingbrakes
    Free Member

Just bought my third Token – the previous two have been great and still spinning very smooth with no resistance. The new one is a DUB, but have not tried it yet. Bought it direct from Token in Poland pre-Brexit. There’s a website somewhere with a code for 10% discount.

transporter13
    Free Member

Also had the 24mm mtb versions of token and have found them to be very reliable over the years. Bearings are 6805r (ala hope) which do away with the top hats in some bbs that use 6805 bearings.

daver27
    Free Member

I’ve been on the Prime DUB BB since beginning of December. Been through some truly horrific conditions that have nearly killed my burgtec pedals.
    It’s still silky smooth and creak free. zero complaints.

Yak

Follow-up. The prime one lasted less than 3months before the non-drive bearing went rough. Worse than the sram one then.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘DUB bottom brackets’ is closed to new replies.