Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Driving to the Alps – best route via Paris?
  • fettling
    Free Member

We are off on an epic road trip tomorrow to the french Alps. Doing the lion share of the journey tomorrow with an overnight in Chalon-sur-Saone.
    Bing maps reckons a route via Paris will be quickest and shortest 5h44 389miles whilst travelling via Laon gives a journey of 6h14 and 407miles.

Bearing in mind we will potentially be in Paris around 17:00 can anyone comment on the traffic at that time on the Peripherique?
    Any suggestions appreciated.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Hahahaha – I wouldnt bother going near the peripherique at that time of day.

uplink
    Free Member

Not got a map in front of me but I found it best to take the 104 by Charles De Gaulle to take a wider berth around Paris

fettling
    Free Member

Viamichelin is suggesting the Laon route will be faster! Still going to cost 100euros in Tolls though.

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

Avoid the Peripherique like the plague…

cr500dom
    Free Member

Used to do this many times every winter season for the last 10 years or so.
    The quickest route to the alps (3 valles / PDS/ Tignes etc) is Reims, Troyes, Dijon, Macon, skirt Lyon via the airport, chambery, Moutiers.

Avoid Paris like the plague

I have done Calais to Meribel in 8 Hrs in the van on that route
    HTH
    Dom

uplink
    Free Member

Viamichelin is suggesting the Laon route will be faster!

Sorry, I was confusing it with my semi-regular run to Brive

Anyway for the Alps from Calais etc. – I’d go Laon, Reims, Troyes

fettling
    Free Member

Top tips as ever from the STW massif 😉

phil.w
    Free Member

The quickest route to the alps (3 valles / PDS/ Tignes etc) is Reims, Troyes, Dijon, Macon, skirt Lyon via the airport, chambery, Moutiers

This ^^ unless you are going to Morzine, Chamonix etc as you then turn off at Macon towards Bourg-en-Bresse so before you get to Lyon

ianv
    Free Member

Lille, Reims Dijon etc for me next week. Not only do you miss Paris, the autoroute is much less congested than the A6. If you do decide to go via Paris the N104 is a good way of missing the peripherique if slightly longer.

Frodo

+1 Reims

Paris is hell.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Driving to the Alps – best route via Paris?’ is closed to new replies.