Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Driver done for assaulting cyclist
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

A rare bit of justice, tho the £900 payment seems low for shoulder separation?

https://todayuknews.com/world-news/volvo-driving-businessman-46-ambushes-cyclist-by-hiding-behind-hedge-before-pouncing/

martinhutch

That’s just court compo, he can still sue for the actual value of his injuries.

Scumbag’s account to the court of how he found himself in this position was laughable though – basically, I was being waved off my drive by my perfect family, and found myself being abused by this cyclist fellow. Steady on old chap, I said…

duncancallum

Tbf the cyclist perhaps could handled it far better… however hiding behind a hedge is insane

PJM1974
    Free Member

He should have received a substantial driving ban for that offence too. Would be well worth the victim suing for damages.

joebristol

So he almost collected said cyclist reversing off his drive into the road, then proceeded to close pass him and generally try and intimidate him, before jumping out from some bushes to push him off his bike. So many people have just lost their **** these days – it’s mental.

rockandrollmark

I’m in no way condoning the actions of the driver, but this is precisely why I don’t react when people act like d*cks – on the bike or otherwise. That’s not to say I’m a pushover and won’t stand up for myself, but life’s too short to get angry and try and prove a point all the time.

People like this, if they’re not getting mad and being shouty at “you” because of this incident, will soon get mad and shouty with someone else over the next incident that hurts their fragile ego. Let it be that someone else that corrects the shouty man’s attitude with their fist. I’d rather just get on with my life.

kerley
    Free Member

The fact he drives a Volvo seems to be very important in the reporters eyes.

dovebiker

About 10 years ago I had a run-in with a motorist in West Sussex one Saturday morning. In my favour was the off-duty policeman who witnessed the assault as he was cycling by. I got a punch and the perp got a £600 fine. £900 fine is rubbish considering the way the driver stopped and ambushed the victim – should have got a driving ban too IME

joebristol

Not sure they could give a driving ban for that – he’s parked up and was waiting on foot to hit / push the cyclist?

I think a driving ban would have been a better punishment than a £900 fine. That said I bet that 200 hours of community service is going to hurt his ego.

DezB
    Free Member

but this is precisely why I don’t react when people act like d*cks

You have better self-control than me then, cos when someone puts me in danger I don’t have a little internal conversation about how I’m going to react, I just react. As the rider probably did.
    And shouting a few words at a car doesn’t hurt anyone.
    Luckily the court saw this for what it was too. **** nutters like the Volvo **** shouldn’t be allowed to drive until they’ve done an anger management course.

[edit]plus, quote from the cyclist – “I know I did not handle the situation well at all”

nickc

should have got a driving ban too IME

for what offence?  I’m all for throwing the book at motorists that endanger life, but you can’t just hand out arbitrary bans because; reasons.

ampthill

He should have received a substantial driving ban for that offence too. Would be well worth the victim suing for damages.

Trouble is the prosecution wasn’t for a motoring offence it was for assault

I assume the cyclist will now sue for compensation and win. The burden of proof being lower for the civil action

200 hours unpaid work doesn’t seem to unreasonable?

Flaperon

The fact he drives a Volvo seems to be very important in the reporters eyes.

Probably because the only thing that stopped him twatting the cyclist with the car was the automatic braking.

i_scoff_cake
    Free Member

Ah Mobberley. I know that junction quite well because I used to cycle around there a lot on my road bike years ago.

A lot of drivers coming out of their driveways seem to assume a right to have others slow down or stop for them. 90% also reverse out which is asking for trouble.

I had a mate once rant about cyclists not giving way in such a scenario. I said that it wasn’t practical or particularly safe for a group of cyclists to be expected to coordinate like that (by stopping), and also that it ruins the rhythm and taxes the muscles more.

What I’ve learned from some encounters with idiot motorists is 1) don’t give them an excuse to claim the moral high ground by abusing them or hitting a mirror etc, and 2) you don’t want to be getting into fights because there could be live-ending or life-ruining consequences. Furthermore, if you want a strong self-defence case should you be assaulted don’t be the one adopting an aggressive action such as walking towards or getting in the face of the other party.

DezB
    Free Member

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/news/local/fife/2161279/fife-cyclist-knocked-out-drivers-teeth-with-padlock-and-chain-in-devastating-road-rage-attack/

Wow, see the difference in how the story is written and the sentencing when it’s round the other way!! Incredible

soundninjauk

You have better self-control than me then, cos when someone puts me in danger I don’t have a little internal conversation about how I’m going to react, I just react. As the rider probably did.

It’s taken me the best part of 10 years cycle commuting in London to teach myself to just take a breath rather than letting the driver have it. It’s all just easier that way.

slowoldman

but this is precisely why I don’t react when people act like d*cks

Me too, but then I’m the same when driving. A loud “TUT” is normally my ripost.

poly
    Free Member

should have got a driving ban too IME
    for what offence? I’m all for throwing the book at motorists that endanger life, but you can’t just hand out arbitrary bans because; reasons.

Trouble is the prosecution wasn’t for a motoring offence it was for assault

Actually potentially that doesn’t stop disqualification. There’s a general provision in the Criminal Justice Act that permits disqualification where a vehicle is used in a crime even if that crime is not a Road Traffic Offence. It is so rarely used it’s likely overlooked, and in England might require referral to the Crown Court? Its more commonly used for things like theft of fuel, or nicking copper wires from railway lines where disqualification can have more chance of stopping repeat offending (or giving the police a tool when someone is “on their way to commit an offence”) than traditional sentences alone would achieve.

Wow, see the difference in how the story is written and the sentencing when it’s round the other way!! Incredible

It’s always dangerous to compare sentencing north and south of the border. (In fact its always dangerous to compare sentencing without having the full facts, defence mitigation statement, background reports, previous convictions etc) but one was a sustained attack resulting in unconsciousness and permanent disfigurement, the culpability and harm seem rather different. Probably also unwise to compare the writing in the Dundee Courier with whatever todayuknews is.

kerley
    Free Member

A lot of drivers coming out of their driveways seem to assume a right to have others slow down or stop for them. 90% also reverse out which is asking for trouble.

Highway code
    201 – Do not reverse from a side road into a main road. When using a driveway, reverse in and drive out if you can.

But then I guess the Highway code doesn’t mean much to him…

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Driver done for assaulting cyclist’ is closed to new replies.