Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Drinking while riding?!
  • jekkyl

Occasionally when I’m out riding with my mate we stop for a pint. The other night 3/4s of the way through the ride we stop for a rest and he says ‘look what I got’ and pulls out two bottles of Peroni. Waheyyy, absolutely splendid! as it was a complete surprise, we clinked bottles and watched the sun disappear behind the trees as we chugged. Needless to say when we do have a drink the rest of the ride is a bit more relaxed and a bit more fun. Passing each other going ‘nnnnnerrrrrr’ *car noises* and other such silliness.
    Always drink responsibly of course. 😛

jam-bo

when I used to night ride the quantocks sharki and I often stopped at the pub down in holne for a pint of cheddar valley.

always made the climb up lady’s edge that bit harder.

BoardinBob

Hipflask on a baltic cold winter ride is essential.

iolo
    Free Member

Falling off when drunk doesn’t hurt so much.
    You fall off more often but really doesn’t hurt so much due to the anaesthetic properties of a hip flask of potcheen shared.
    Edit: falling on the hip flask in your pocket hurts a lot.

sazter

Yes Bob! Hipflask is also great for the campsite! 😉 If I trip I don’t smash a bottle!

njee20
    Free Member

Never done it, don’t get the appeal. Not a big drinker though.

gwaelod
    Free Member

Its about this time of year my thoughts turn to the Real Ale Wobble.

Cougar

Readily digestible carbs FTW.

kayak23

we clinked bottles and watched the sun disappear behind the trees as we chugged

😀

I was surprised recently at the amount of folks in Czech, Poland and Austria who were drinking pints, sometimes in the morning in the cafes in the bikeparks. Different culture innit.

theotherjonv

Not done it for a few years now but used to do an all nighter around swinley and the surrounding areas around midsummer. Set off at dusk, so about 2130 / 2200. First stop would be the ‘secret location’ where we’d stash a few tins for future use. Ride until about one-ish, before stopping at Mussy’s kebab van at the Crowthorne end of Swinley. Carefully carry the kebabs up to the ‘secret location’ where a beer and kebab refuel would take place. Wobble around for a couple more hours until dawn and then go home, satisfied that we were considerably better than everyone else.

fasthaggis

My bike club ride across the hills to a pub for our Xmas lunch,after a big lunch with a few beers, it takes most of the following year to forget how hard cycling home is 😉

muddy9mtb

went out for usual club ride on sunday morning, passed a pub with revellers outside and did a double take…it was 9:10 am! couldn’t work out if they had started early or not gone to bed. Love a drink on a ride and very nutrional, certainly helps appease the wobbly leg syndrome. ride responsibly of course…(go on, go on, go on, go…)

MoreCashThanDash

Most mtb rides, especially nightrides, finish at the village pub. Part of the bonding process.

muddy9mtb

bonding process

I just go for the beer 8)

DrP

I really enjoy our night rides around Xmas time – hot mulled wine in flasks, rum and hot chocolate, the odd tinny!!

This year I might take the ti mug and burner, and mull the wine on the hills!

DrP

Clobber
    Free Member

One of our rides (“the route of legend”) takes in 9 pub stops…

We don’t always complete it…

binners

We’ve been on plenty of night rides that never actually made it out of the pub that was the meeting point until last orders, at which point we’d wobble off home.

The South Manchester Massive Bonfire Nightride became an epic drinking binge, combining loads of beer, hip flasks full of absinthe, and the biggest fireworks possible to carry on a bike. What could possibly go wrong?

It resulted, somewhat predictably, in numerous daft injuries involving riding into trees, getting lost within a mile of your own house, and waking up on the sofa, still in your riding gear, at 5 in the morning, with no recollection of how you got there!

rOcKeTdOg

15 miles minimum distance to earn a pint around here

deadkenny
    Free Member

Off road, only post-ride. Tried riding having had lunch beer that was a little strong and realised it was seriously risky doing singletrack. I’d leave it to post ride now.

Road – well you can be nicked for being under the influence even on a bike. There’s no drink limit, but if you’re wandering about recklessly then you can be nicked for being unfit to ride a bike on a highway.

binners

I’d also recommend not riding home after a full evening doing a tour of the single malts in the Britons Protection with WCA. The occupant of the police car I rode into the back of was at least merciful, and simply told me to be on my way, and try not to die before I got home due to the paperwork involved. Shorry offisher….. Hic….

40mpg

You can ride without drinking? 😯

We’ll usually start with a couple at whoevers house we’re meeting at, then aim for a pub or two just to help route choice.

A couple of ciders really brings the trails alive – 560ML of course 😉

HansRey

last alcohol fueled biking i was involved with was at the student BUCS event in BPUK. People were riding their bikes down a really dark hill trying to avoid moving supermarket trolleys and the surrounding crowd trying to push them over.

great stuff. Why did i leave britain??!!

jambalaya
    Free Member

During the ride I cannot do, I always feel totally bloated. Post ride is a different matter !

richmtb

There is a fine line though between a couple of pints making the ride home feel like the easiest thing in the world or after 4 pints a horrible slog with a belly full of beer

Maybe I just need to switch to spirits earlier?

ton

beer is one of the reasons i ride. travelling from pub to pub at the end of a days riding is one of lifes biggest pleasures.
    the elder section of the sweary northerners plan a weeks holiday every september, based on pubs in the camra guide.

i cant make this years trip, which starts this saturday, with a tour of northumberland….. 🙁

scaled
    Free Member

Ahhh, The Fox Inn. 2 pints and a reef in the car park.

Then smash it down to strines station, in the dark 😀

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Drinking while riding?!’ is closed to new replies.