Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 147 total)
  • Drink driver to lose his car?
  • stilltortoise
    Free Member

Either I’m not making my point very well or I’m on a hiding to nothing

Seriously you would ‘drink drive’ to take your kid to hospital?

Car Camping trip, middle of nowhere, no phone reception. Me and my son have had a few nips from the hip flask. He has an accident that needs urgent medical attention and my first aid only goes so far. Hospital and/or civilisation is too far to walk in the limited time and only option is to drive. I might be under the limit, I might not. Would I drive? Of course I would. Sit there and let him die just because I was worried about being convicted of drink driving? Of course not.

Ok, it’s an extreme example but surely now we can agree that in this circumstance the drink driver is not “as bad” as someone who intentionally, regularly and for no good reason drives to the pub and back and gets legless. If you can’t see that then frankly I’m astounded and will gracefully accept your opinion.

aracer
    Free Member

Either I’m not making my point very well or I’m on a hiding to nothing

At least you’re not a casual racist

ronjeremy
    Free Member

For what it is worth and my two penneths worth, and before anyone passes judgement on me, 10 years ago this April I received the phone call to be told my parents had been in a road accident. Brief details, Parents on a motorbike, dad driving/riding and mum pillion, A5 near Hockliffe, on way back from a meeting of fellow mature riders, lady coming the other way in a car, 3 times over the limit, hits kerb and spins her car looses control spinning her car across the road and hitting my parents, Dad declared dead on arrival at hospital, (I had to formally identify the body) Mum in intensive car with a variety of ailments/broken bone/collapsed lung. I wont go into the following details but having to explain to my mother what happened when see awoke in hospital and the drugs had worn off several days later will stay with me forever, as will the whole experience to be honest.
    Lady arrested at scene, breathalised and found to be three times over the limit, (Sunday afternoon in the pub anyone?) It went to court and the punishment was 18months in jail, and a 2 year driving ban.
    As for us, well my mum had to give up work due to her injuries, and we will not even begin on the mental impact that it had upon her and the rest of us.

Just wanted to give you guys and real world example of the after effects of what happens potential when someone decides to drink and drive, as for the punishment for the offence, what would you think is enough?

I agree that at times it can be too leniant, and those who feel it is neccessary to laugh or poke fun at this then really i hope you have the balls to do it to my face if we ever meet, no wait I am not a violent person, I just hope that you never have to go through it with your loved ones as trust me it does change your whole perspective of things.

David

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Eh? (to aracer)

stilltortoise
    Free Member

David, my condolences. It is a serious matter indeed.

nickf
    Free Member

TJ, Oz have some of the most strict traffic rules I’ve ever come across and literally the worst driving standards I’ve ever had to deal with anywhere. I read an article whilst I was there in a Aussie motorcycle mag about their woeful driving standards, which was pretty much my experience. I’ve seriously never seen such poor driving anywhere else in the world.

Agreed. I’ve just spent two weks in Aus and it was the most appalling driving I’ve seen. They’re obsessed with speed, but at the cost of actually driving properly.

hora
    Free Member

Thank you David.

nealglover
    Free Member

What complete tosh. Its not difficult at all to prove/decide who owns a car 😯

Please take off the tin foil hat, and step away from the internet.

If you bought your car, you own it (unless its on finance in some cases)

The whole idea that you sign away ownership when you register your car and you are only the “Registered Keeper” is a full on myth.

zokes
    Free Member

Can you quote one incident, ever, where this has happened? In fact quote any incident where a drunk cyclist has killed anyone other than himself.

Dunno, but that’s the law here, chum.

Here, drink-riding is seen by most to be in exactly the same boat as drink-driving; with all the pious rhetoric from non-pub-cyclists as STWers have shown on here for the past two pages. It’s seen that way for the reason given in my example. It’s not what happens to the selfish drunk rider, it’s how their actions might affect others.

How often these scenarios play out is anyone’s guess, but it’s the law, and despite several campaigns against it, it seems to be staying, for precisely those reasons.

EDIT: Here’s a near miss that could have been a lot worse: http://www.metro.co.uk/news/68693-drunk-cyclist-survives-rail-plunge

hora
    Free Member

Agreed. I’ve just spent two weks in Aus and it was the most appalling driving I’ve seen. They’re obsessed with speed, but at the cost of actually driving properly.

Dashboard mounted indoor Barbie mate?

Gary_M
    Free Member

Car Camping trip, middle of nowhere, no phone reception.

Don’t have a drink of alcohol then. Just a thought.

jumpupanddown
    Free Member

Totally disproportionate. £23k fine for drink driving on top of a ban and another fine. Stupid law.

not at all just for instance a person hit and killed my partner on her bike, i would turn up on that persons door step with a saw off
    and would simply blow them away as they open the door.. the fine would mean nothing to them.

zokes
    Free Member

They’re obsessed with speed, but at the cost of actually driving properly.

Not really most don’t even drive that fast, they just don’t know how to drive, full stop.

zokes
    Free Member

not at all just for instance a person hit and killed my partner on her bike, i would turn up on that persons door step with a saw off
    and would simply blow them away as the open the door.. the fine would mean nothing to them.

And up steps another:

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

stilltortoise – there is a defence of necessity to drink driving which can be invoked in extreme circumstances.

However in your first example you would have been drink driving without it being necessary so rightfully you would get eh same punishment as anyone else.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

zokes – not a keyboard warrior but a rambo fantsist gun nut 🙂

jumpupanddown
    Free Member

And up steps another:

not every one in this world is a pussy, if some one killed you’re loved one what would you do.. probably nowt but cry like a fag.

zokes – not a keyboard warrior but a rambo fantsist gun nut

im a farm boy, its part of the sceen

TJ like a sad id rather die in a ditch than be a patient of youres …

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Don’t have a drink of alcohol then. Just a thought.

I’m sure that’s what I’d be thinking in retrospect, but most/many of us drink and most of us at some stage or other do so beyond safe driving limits knowing we do not need to drive. I hope I never get put in that sort of situation whereby I have no choice but to take to my car over the limit. As many have pointed out that should be never.

Back on topic, all I’ve ever tried to say here is that the circumstances leading to a drink driving incident should not be ignored, in the same way the actual degree over the limit is relevant.

hora
    Free Member

ron jeremy/David although in no way directly related, your sad post reminded me of a poster in a different forum and his experience/what he caused from the otherside.

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&t=629763&nmt=Prison%20Diary

Reading this slowed my driving right down. Made me think of others.

Reading this/the above link may make speeding drivers reflect on their speed and ability. It slowed me.

aracer
    Free Member

Here’s a near miss that could have been a lot worse

Interesting example, given it wasn’t on the road, hence he couldn’t be prosecuted for cycling whilst drunk.

Gary_M
    Free Member

and would simply blow them away as they open the door.. the fine would mean nothing to them.

Bet you wouldn’t do that in real life though. I’m sure many people think they would do that in that situation but very few do as their morals stop them.

not every one in this world is a pussy, if some one killed you’re loved one what would you do.. probably nowt but cry like a fag.

All I can do is laugh.

the circumstances leading to a drink driving incident should not be ignored

If you’re in a situation where you may by the smallest chance have to drive then don’t have a drink, its not that difficult.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

stilltortoise – there is a defence of necessity to drink driving which can be invoked in extreme circumstances.

However in your first example you would have been drink driving without it being necessary so rightfully you would get eh same punishment as anyone else.

I’ll say it again using different words. Using my example – let’s say I was 10% over the limit and caused no accident – I do not think it is right that I should be punished to the same extent as someone 3x over the limit who actually killed someone as a result of their drunk driving. this is your black and white standpoint that I’ve often struggled to comprehend.

bravohotel8er
    Free Member

So, we’re agreed then…

Drink driving is banned except in either of these two scenarios:

1) Child hurt in Skippy the Bush Kangaroo style abandoned mineshaft style survivalist shocker.

2) Phone call from Angelina Jolie informing you that she can’t resist her fetish for middle aged cake munching dandy horse straddlers one minute more, and that she’s waiting outside your place wearing nothing but an extra tight yellow jersey and a strategically placed honey sandwich.

Job done.

jumpupanddown
    Free Member

Bet you wouldn’t do that in real life though. I’m sure many people think they would do that in that situation but very few do as their morals stop them.

I hope to think i would do it, dont have any moral problems with it as im not a very nice person. Also i have already seen much violence my life.

hora
    Free Member

If you’re in a situation where you may by the smallest chance have to drive then don’t have a drink

On another note, if I’m looking after my toddler son for the evening I won’t drink as A) I don’t want him smelling booze on me and B) I want to be able to follow everything/talk at the hospital if needed.

Let alone driving.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Well its a simple black and white situation. were you over the limit? then you have the punishment for being over the limit. there is a range of punishments available but you are still guilty of drink driving and should be punished as such

the circumstances leading to a drink driving incident should not be ignored,

Nope – not at all valid. Why you did it is of no relevance, what you did is

nickf
    Free Member

Not really most don’t even drive that fast, they just don’t know how to drive, full stop.

Sorry, I should have explained myself better. They seem obsessed with adhering to the speed limit (60-70kph on some of the Sydney urban motorways), due to the double demerits over the festive period, yet I felt in much more danger than I do on UK motorways.

Lots of drifting around in lanes and (off the motorway, obviously) only casual adherence to the red lights. People were following through on red a looooong time after it went on – the amber isn’t used in the same way as the UK.

Despite the ‘speed kills, slow down’ messages you see everywhere, the road death stats are almost twice as high as the UK.

jumpupanddown
    Free Member

simple solution to this problem, ban cars!!!!

stilltortoise
    Free Member

there is a range of punishments available

So you do agree with me then that my fictitious scenarios should be punished differently, which is what I said above? This was never about have-you-or-have-you-not broken the law. As I also said above, I believe there should be no allowed measure of alcohol. The law should be that you drink OR drive.

Why you did it is of no relevance

I’m no legal beagle but I simply don’t/can’t believe this to be true, but I’m not going to waste any more of your (collective) time inventing hypothetical scenarios.

hora
    Free Member

Far too much arguing on STW lately. Guys chill out 🙂

stilltortoise
    Free Member

just read my last post. It sounds angrier than it was intended. Sorry 😳

irc

Here, drink-riding is seen by most to be in exactly the same boat as drink-driving; with all the pious rhetoric from non-pub-cyclists as STWers have shown on here for the past two pages. It’s seen that way for the reason given in my example. It’s not what happens to the selfish drunk rider, it’s how their actions might affect others

So the Australian law is based on scaremongering using scenarios that don’t happen.

Something like the helmet law then. Based on the belief that cycling is far more dangerous than it is.

molgrips
    Free Member

I struggle with long sentences but I like the shame car idea.

It should have CAUTION – I MAY BE PISSED written on the side and should have flashing multi coloured neon lights all over it. And a loudspeaker playing beep beep beep ‘warning, drunk driver alert’ like the reversing alarms on lorries.

ronjeremy
    Free Member

hora – Member
    Far too much arguing on STW lately. Guys chill out

completely agree, I wanted to tell my story to try and show a real world scenario, and the effects that this can have upon people.

If you choose to drink and drive fine that is your choice, but the results can and will affect many innocent people and that is the point I was hoping to make.

thomthumb
    Free Member

classy. 🙄

project
    Free Member

Ron Jeremy , so very well said, and true,all drink drivers should be made to attend the next RTC, and the hospital, and talk to the families, then see their car crushed, on prime time tv.

ronjeremy
    Free Member

not every one in this world is a pussy, if some one killed you’re loved one what would you do.. probably nowt but cry like a fag

I think that i am qualified to answer this, and for a while i could of agreed with this statement, but trust me on this one

“An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind..”

konabunny
    Free Member

Oz have some of the most strict traffic rules…woeful driving standards…I’ve seriously never seen such poor driving anywhere else in the world.

If Australia is the place in the world you’ve seen the worst driving standards, I suspect you are not widely travelled at all. Consult the deaths/km etc statistics for a more objective global view: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_traffic-related_death_rate

splashdown
    Free Member

Drunk driver to lose his car… fine with me.

He should also lose a considerable period of his freedom 👿

konabunny
    Free Member

I won’t waste words: you’re a naive bellend. I have been up close to this situation (unlike you, I suspect) and you are completely wrong about how things go down.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 147 total)

The topic ‘Drink driver to lose his car?’ is closed to new replies.