Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 135 total)
  • DREADLOCKS
  • mollski
    Free Member

ANYBODY on here got dreadlocks? if so how easy are they to grow and how long has it taken you?

backhander
    Free Member

They look really really stupid on white people.

jam-bo

They look really really stupid on white people.

yunki
    Free Member

They look really really stupid on white people

according to some..

These days I would say that they have the effect of making you look like you take something very very seriously..

Or that you are a beggar..

So if neither of these two conditions apply to you.. think carefully before embarking on the frustrating.. itchy.. laborious and unrewarding journey that is growing dreadlocks or you could end up feeling like a bit of a wally

kimbers

well you need really curly hair to start with, but it needs to be much longer than you think, you can get them done professionally or you can just not brush your hair for about a year and they will kind of form themselves with a bit of help and patience -note you will have to invest in somew hats
    best done whilst at uni

i have them and im white and i look the schnizzle so bacdafucp up wackhander 😉

DezB
    Free Member

I imagine them to make you smell like that really dirty hair smell. All the time. I could be wrong though.

loddrik
    Free Member

There is no way they can be clean. I'm sure headlice love them!

tazzymtb

I had them, easy to grow, a bugger to maintain unless you want a set of pukka crusty dreads that look like chimps fingers.

knotty boy wax is your friend if you want to do it the easy way

according to backhander I must have looked stupid, although having a **** massive dready mohawk and lots of piercings no-one ever seemed to pluck up the courage to say anything to my face. 😀

I now look respectable and quiet and nice and fluffy

mustard
    Free Member

Head lice prefer clean hair, so probably pretty safe on that count!

meehaja
    Free Member

hair doesn't have to be curly, they don't have to smell and they don't have to be itchy. Suit some people, don't suit others, quite easy to do. Looks neat if done by hairdresser, hard to do your self, easy if someone willing can help. might look a bit scruffy, will affect the way people treat you.

Edric64
    Free Member

Dreads look stupid on most people,at least rastas stick theirs under a loud hat

Barelyincontrol
    Free Member

Just go see a Levellers concert, sure you can get lots of advice there. Reduced entry for those with a dog on a string.

yunki
    Free Member

Reduced entry for those with a dog on a string.

I'm going to see them in 12 days.. I wish that your comment had some truth to it..

kimbers

oh yeah and people do treat you different but they do if you have a skinhead

and they certainly dont have to smell wash mine once a week but they take ages to dry!

and chicks will find you utterly irresistable in my experience

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

Wax to put in, then don't wash – easy really. Not great if your going to get dusty very often. Smell when it rains. Not itchy after the first couple of months. If put in by a hairdresser they look a bit too neat in my opinion. You lose loads of hair if you ever attempt to brush them out.

20 years ago but i can just about remember. 🙂

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

+1 for the female attention. Got a lot more interest with them than without, although no idea why.

backhander
    Free Member

Looks even worse on girls as kimberley is demonstrating…..

yunki
    Free Member

Got a lot more interest with them than without, although no idea why.

because

they have the effect of making you look like you take something very very seriously..

even if the thing that you take seriously is just looking rebellious

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

I look a LOT more serious with a skinhead, so it can't be that. 🙂

Woody
    Free Member

The dreads combined with a checked shirt and beige tie is not a look you see very often………the chandeliers somehow compliment the incongruity of it all 8)

skidartist
    Free Member

I used to have foot long dreadlocks (for the OP if you are starting off with short hair it'll take about 3 – 4 years for them to reach about a foot), because its effectively felt your dreads will be roughly half the length they would be if your hair was undreaded.

One night in a pub a young woman sidled up to me and asked
    "is that a french perm?"
    "no they're dreadlocks"
    "are you sure its not like a really tight french perm?"
    "yes I'm sure"
    "Oh well you see I'm a trainee hair dresser and today I gave a woman a french perm and it turned out looking like your hair"
    "was she happy about that?"
    "no….but it'll just brush out, right?"

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Anyone who judges someone simply because of their hairstyle is a narrow-minded idiot. To each their own.

Interested to know why they might look stupid on a white person. Don't get that.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I don't know about growing them, but a work customer had them and complained constantly about people pre judging him as a misfit, crusty, theif, down and out, work shy freeloader etc etc. He turned up one day with it all cut off, forced into it, because he didn't like that stereotype. He wanted a decent job, wanted to walk round a shop without being followed by security guards, but liked the idea of dreadlocks. You can't have dreads and live a normal existance, it appears.

kimbers

well not sure it will turn you into a pariah, i have a decent job and security dont seem to follow me everywhere, i reckon your customer was hitting the skunk too hard and getting the fear

living in that london helps, people out in the shires might lynch you though

Kevevs
    Free Member

I used to have a housemate with dreads. He was a white brummie, if that matters. Anyway, he decided to cut 'em all off and shave his head. It all came off in one big stuck together lump and the underside of it was this this thick layer of dead skin and scalp holding it all in place. It was gross. It stank.He also had some sorta ribbons or something in it.

He then kept it in his wardrobe in a carrier bag, like a dead pet, and gave a dread to anyone that came round the house. Like it was some some meaningful sacrificial memento or something.

He was a nice bloke though.

kimbers

brummies….

chewkw
    Free Member

So 80s …. 😆

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

stupid on white guys.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

He then kept it in his wardrobe in a carrier bag, like a dead pet, and gave a dread to anyone that came round the house.

How sweet!

Some people are just too nice.

stupid on white guys

Why Jeremy, why?

tazzymtb

Why Jeremy, why?

because it doesn't fit his racial stereotyping?

Kevevs
    Free Member

I thought the Brummie guy looked quite cool with the dreads, he pulled more ladies without it though. but then he did lose loads of weight as well, went on a weetabix diet, eating only weetabix. Oh, and cocaine. I wonder what happened to him.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Weetabix?

Shitting hell…

Kevevs
    Free Member

so my advice is: shave your head and get whacked out on weetabix and cocaine. The ladies love it.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Don't like Weetbix or Cocaine.

What about toast and Ketamine?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Why – a sign of a dreadful sad wannabe.

ex-pat
    Free Member

Anyone who judges someone simply because of their hairstyle is a narrow-minded idiot. To each their own.

It's facial discrimination.

ex-pat
    Free Member

mollski
    Free Member

OK i will keep to my soul glow gel perm

skidartist
    Free Member

OK i will keep to my soul glow gel perm

I know someone who can help you out with the perm 🙂

nickc

Head lice just like hair. They don't care whether it's clean or not

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 135 total)

The topic ‘DREADLOCKS’ is closed to new replies.