Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 287 total)
  • Done for speeding last night..
  • PeterPoddy
    Free Member

If they’re unexpected you’re not expecting them even if you are paying attention…

Yeah, I am actually.
    I’m on a road. I’m expecting everything and everyone I see to move. I’m expecting every turning to have a vehicle coming out of it, I’m expecting every car behind me to come past, and every one in front to slow down…. etc etc ad infinitum.

I seriously can’t remember the last time something happened on the road that I wasn’t expecting (but I’ll have a think…) I can remember not looking properly on a roundabout and hitting a car, but that’s not unexpected, that’s poor observation and being distracted…..

It’s like I have a flipping 6th sense sometimes, TBH. It’s like I can read their thoughts. But all it is is experience and training and 24 years of watching other people drive. I sit, I wait, I observe. And if I’m on the bike I watch you grow smaller in the mirrors very soon after…..

Dum-de-dum-dum….. 🙂

EDIT
    Oh yeah. 1999-2000-ish. 80mph on the bike, I had a pheasant fly out of a hedge and hit me and I arrived at work covered in blood and guts.
    It’s made me wary of hedges ever since.

Woody
    Free Member

These threads amaze me because I don’t know anyone, and I mean ANYONE who obeys the speed limit at all times. Maybe they are all on STW 🙄

Rather than slate the OP (who IMO appears to have been unlucky and not driving dangerously) I would be far more concerned with the asshats who drive at the speed limit when it is entirely inappropriate and dangerous to do so.

Unfortunately, I come across this type of person on a daily basis. They will drive at 1-2mph below the speed limit (especially when they have clocked my RRV Ambulance and mistaken me for a Police car) and drive round blind bends etc. at that speed regardless of the time or road conditions. But that’s ok, in some peoples opinion on here, as they are good law abiding citizens.

At the risk of sounding like the awsome Surf-mat, I would far rather take my chances any day with a driver who is fully aware of the conditions and drives accordingly, regardless of the designated speed limit.

EDIT: PP makes good points and you can usually tell who has ridden a motorbike as their road awareness is far greater than most people who have only driven a car. It has to be, otherwise you probably won’t last very long!

donsimon
    Free Member

At the risk of sounding like the awsome Surf-mat, I would far rather take my chances any day with a driver who is fully aware of the conditions and drives accordingly.

+1

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Plus one the +1

Well said Woody.

My ex sister in law couldn’t drive for toffee – reversed out of their drive straight into a car that was parked opposite, once misjudged a corner so badly she ended up on the pavement (no, really – we were all in the car with her), numerous little knocks and basically her driving was so bad it got to the stage I wouldn’t actually get in a car with her. But she drove everywhere at speeds akin to continental drift and I doubt that, to this day, she has ever broken a speed limit.

My father in law drives ‘promptly’ should I say? He has had numerous very fast cars (Saab 9-5 Aero and a big bi-turbo diesel Jag are his last two) as well as owning a Westfield that he races.

But I am entirely confident and comfortable being a passenger in his car because he is observant, aware and can drive.

wrightyson
    Free Member

I got from work to the merchants tonight in 40 mins, not once did I break a 30 or 40 limit in the built up bits but by goodness I might have spanked that stupid 50 limit in the middle of the countryside, all in a transit with some new, cheap, interesting front tyres on it 😯

DezB
    Free Member

As this is still going, i’d like to report a little experiment i did on the way to the cop shop today.
    Rush hour, same road, people crossing, cars pulling out, a cyclist … Put the car into cruise going 30… Very soon the only vehicle near me, as the row of traffic in front pulled rapidly away, was the Audi right up my arse. Even the cyclist left me behind.
    No cops with radar guns to be seen.

So was he there last night to keep the blackspot safe…?

Also where were all the stwers who never go over the limit. none of those buggers around 😀

Markie
    Free Member

Also where were all the stwers who never go over the limit. none of those buggers around

I was doing 70 on a dual carriageway with a Ford leading the procession keen to get up my backside.

wrightyson
    Free Member

I know as long as I’ve been posting on here you’ve been posting dez, so I’m sure you knew of all the perfect posters we get on here before you opened up this thread!! They have never done anything wrong, well that’s what they tell us bad people!! 😉

Markie
    Free Member

so I’m sure you knew of all the perfect posters we get on here before you opened up this thread!!

I think that’s actually why he posted 😉

scaredypants

ONE THOUSAND !!!!!

did I get it ?

did I ?????

😐

wrightyson
    Free Member

Thanks for the heads up 😉

zokes
    Free Member

Of course we’re jovial – we havn’t been done for speeding

Hey, I’m more jovial still, I have been caught speeding, but was let off with a friendly warning and a complement on my driving…

wurzelcube
    Free Member

I used to drive 160 miles a day, and regularly exceeded the speed limit (my theory was I was better when speeding as I paid more attention, dumb eh?!) – eventually I got caught by a camera van doing 91 on a dual carriageway; after crapping myself for several weeks thinking that I was going to receive a court summons I was over the moon to receive a fixed penalty notice and since then have consciously stuck to limits.

Whilst I feel the speed limits on many of the roads are unnecessarily low I can’t afford to lose my license, waste money on speeding fines & extra for insurance all to save a few minutes off my journey time when invariably I get stuck at a red light or behind someone more cautious / slower than me.

wurzelcube
    Free Member

The other point is that the range on the mobile cameras is pretty frightening, I hit the brakes as soon as I got a glimpse of something white in the layby but I was photographed way before I saw it.

Northwind

PeterPoddy – Member

those with clean licenses are good at not getting caught.

**** yeah! Recognition at last!

thejesmonddingo

Right Dezb,I’ve put Teddy,and your dummy back in the pram for the last time,and the rest of you children stop teasing him,you know it only makes him worse.
    Mummy

bullheart
    Free Member

Dez – YGM

Great frigging thread! 😀

mrmo
    Free Member

the way i look at it is, why speed, the law might be bollocks, it might not be, but i can’t be arsed worrying about whether i am going to be done for speeding so i try not to. It isn’t hard to see what the speedo in front of me is doing.

And as the faster you go basically the more fuel you burn, why go fast if you don’t have to.

I doubt anyone can really say they never speed, i try to stay at the speed limit but i am aware that there are occasions when i will exceed it, usually overtaking.

I don’t know if the fact that i learnt to drive in my early thirties rather than at 17 has anything to do with this, or whether the fact that a i regard a car as a tool and not as a status symbol or a toy is relevant to the way i regard the speed limit?

Back to the OP 41 in a 30, comparing GPS to car speedos in various cars and from comments i have heard over the years, most cars under record speed, so actual 41 could well be an indicated 45? if you had been done doing 35 yes your breaking the law but it happens, but 41?

allthepies
    Free Member

most cars under record speed, so actual 41 could well be an indicated 45?

Wouldn’t that be “over recording” then ? But yes, most speedos will show an indicated speed in excess of the acutal, mine is 10% over pretty consistently (if various GPS systems are to be trusted).

crankboy
    Free Member

Like everyone else I speed occasionally, I do however make an effort not to . But dez you state you knew the limit so your actual post is you lack the skill to control your speed the experience to realise you are going 30% faster than you should be and were paying so little attention or have such poor observation skills that you missed a big bloke glowing in the dark straight infront of you.

You are either trolling or a really poor driver.

I do hope your brother and father are doing as well as is possible.

M6TTF
    Free Member

Been driving for over 20 years, never had points. Sure I’ve broken the limits plenty of times. 120mph + down the M1 and daft o’clock in the morning, 155mph on the a500 on the bike, yup it’s not big or Clever, and if I’d got caught then fair enough but sometimes that urge is hard to resist. I do try to observe 30s religiously though

donsimon
    Free Member

Northwind – Member

PeterPoddy – Member

those with clean licenses are good at not getting caught.

**** yeah! Recognition at last!

Those with clean licences haven’t done anything wrong, unless you can prove otherwise, of course.

emsz
    Free Member

From the cops POV I can see why they do it, your going to tell everyone right DezB? all your friends, your mum, your dad, loads of people will know that the cops are looking for speeders along that bit of road. they only have to do it for a couple of days before word gets out, and then everyone slows down.

I don’t drive, but I hate being a passenger in a car that’s going too fast, driver might be in control, but when your a passenger it’s really scary

Woody
    Free Member

I just noticed – 6 pages without a tag on a driving thread. Remarkable 😕

EDIT: Ooooh searing wit 🙄

trailmonkey

‘s all nonsense innit.

if there was any real inclination to slow people down then roads would have multiple pinch points installed or instant lifetime bans or prison for going over the limit.

speed cameras are just revenue generation as a by product of being seen to do something without actually doing anything.

after all what govt. would dare do anything that might piss off the multiple factions of the pro car lobby.

mikertroid
    Free Member

As someone who knows first hand what it is like to be hit by a car and have lost a friend due to the same, I hope you learn from this.

Personally I think the punishment for speeding in residential areas should be very severe. They flog past my house at 30+ without a care. Total selfishness.

And yes, I stay below the speed limit. No sympathy.

Perhaps there should be a mandatory requirement to take 10 lessons at your own cost then pass the advanced driving test to regain a licence.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Of course many of us speed – however the grown up thing to do if caught is to accept the punishment and not whine about it.

If you don’t want to get caught speeding don’t speed – if yo can’t do the time don’t do the crime.

RichPenny
    Free Member

I walk through a quiet town centre before 7am every day. I am **** fed up with the number of utter tools who think “ah well, it’s early, nobody about. No harm done with a heavy right foot.” Until they enter a blind junction much faster than they should when I’m crossing the **** road. Idiots doing 40 in a 20mph zone, because it never seems to be enforced. I’m going to start enforcing it with a brick through each **** windscreen. 👿 Not really criticising Dez because IIRC his offence wasn’t in a poor visibility area. But like it or not, some pedestrians will expect limits to be adhered to and are making judgements based on that. Plenty of them walking about at 9pm…

singletrackmind

@ Rich .- No Pavement on one side of the road . Industrial Estate fence adjoins carraigeway.
    @ Miketroid . Dez has also been hit by a car actually .

Everybody speeds . Everyone who has a driving licence has been at least 20% over the speed limit . Anyone who claims they haven’t is a liar .

I got caught for doing 54 in a 30 in my yoof , then last year 48 in 30 .
    Take it on the chin and get on with it, I do 600 miles a week so its almost inevitable.

ivantate
    Free Member

Doing 600miles a week doesn’t allow you to speed in a 30, hope you get caught a few more times and end up doing 0 miles a week.

Also, the OPs speed would have been showing atleast 45mph to have a radar of 41 so this was knowingly doing 50% greater than the safe maximum. No excuses there, 33 maybe. This also on a road he didn’t know and in the dark.

alba23
    Free Member

Clean license what does that prove ?
    I have a clean license and I have had a 56 day ban.
    Also received points for not wearing a seat belt.

The limits were set when no cars had ABS or similar driver aids. Just because someone is below the speed limit doesn’t make them safer , staring at the speedo instead of the road ahead.
    How many drivers have been made to feel bad because someone didn’t cross the road at the correct place and they were slightly over the limit
    As has been mentioned above, never have so many people who have never broke the speed limit posted to forum. My mother my ex police step father and my wife have all done it. Bet your friends and family have there fingers crossed if an abulance can’t to them in time and need one of you to get the A&E.

anagallis_arvensis

I do 600 miles a week so its almost inevitable.

dumbest quote of the year award well done!

singletrackmind

This also on a road he didn’t know and in the dark.

Its about a mile from his house

dumbest quote of the year award well done!

S’OK , its only the 7th day of the year . Give me another 300 days or so and I can probably come up with some more pearls of wisdom for little screen grab ,out of context quotes

Woody
    Free Member

Emergency vehicles responding to an emergency are a special case.

So is Sir Alex
    From BBC News
    Such “special reasons” for breaking traffic laws can include even the most unlikely emergencies. Beckham’s boss at Manchester United, Sir Alex Ferguson, was cleared of a traffic offence by explaining that severe diarrhoea and the need to reach a toilet prompted his driving on a motorway hard shoulder.

So if the OP had claimed he had a dose of the squirts………………..

mrmo
    Free Member

Everybody speeds . Everyone who has a driving licence has been at least 20% over the speed limit . Anyone who claims they haven’t is a liar .

20% over the limit, so 36 in a 30, 48 in a 40, 60 in a 50, 72 in a 60 and 84 in a 70. Now those are real speeds and as stated earlier cars show maybe 10% below real speed, so if your car says your doing 30 your actually doing 27mph, and at 70 your only doing 63mph.

If we adjust the numbers above to show how fast you seem to say everyone goes we get, 40 in a 30, 53 in a 40, 66 in a 50, 80 in a 60 and 92 in a 70.

I think your wrong on that one, yes everyone speeds, but at least 20% over the limit not to sure on that, but i guess if your doing 600miles a week there is a strong possibility your a rep, i assume your on a fuel card, and having seen how so many reps drive the idea that everyone drives that way, i can see where that attitude might come from, and as the role of a sales rep demands self confidence and the ability to, how to say this politely, bullshit. If your not a rep the other section is repair men who have too many jobs and not enough time.

Personally i don’t drive that far over the limit, i am paying for my fuel, i can’t be arsed with the time i’ll loose if i get pulled over, and the brutal reality speeding doesn’t actually save that much time, you spend so much time stuck in traffic jams, stuck at lights, dealing with junctions etc.

FeeFoo
    Free Member

Don’t usually do this but far too many incorrect uses of “your” and then a “loose” in the last post.

Car Crash Grammar. Arrrrrrgh!

mrmo
    Free Member

Don’t usually do this but far too many incorrect uses of “your” and then a “loose” in the last post.

May i offer my humblest apologies for the lapse. I shall take leave from this discussion, withdraw to the drawing room and there, shoot myself. I do trust that such an action will be acceptable?

scaredypants

mrmo – you own a gun ?!

clearly a VERY bad person indeed

(remember to take out some members of the public and a relative or two before you go)

FeeFoo
    Free Member

May i offer my humblest apologies for the lapse

Don’t take it too personally. I just find it detracts from what is being written.

Your welcome to not loose time thinking about it to much when you could of been doing something gooder. 😉

Northwind

don simon – Member

Those with clean licences haven’t done anything wrong, unless you can prove otherwise, of course.

I think you may have missed my point, by about 180 degrees.

Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 287 total)

The topic ‘Done for speeding last night..’ is closed to new replies.