Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 287 total)
  • Done for speeding last night..
  • stilltortoise
    Free Member

So we agree then 😀

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

So we agree then

Well we agree that running a police force costs money yes. Definitely. Unarguably.

🙂

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

I wasn’t really talking about your specific instance mastiles (it sounds like the council is responding sensibly to complaints too), but are you really arguing about being forced to do 10mph less than YOU think is sensible, for half a mile? FFS man get a grip. I’m willing to bet there is a slightly longer NSL run round too. If not, dropping 30 seconds is hardly the end of the world, no? (and it is JUST 30 seconds)

Impatience, pure and simple.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Unarguably

Is that the first time I have seen this word on STW?? 😆

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

but are you really arguing about being forced to do 10mph less than YOU think is sensible, for half a mile? FFS man get a grip

You don’t get what I am saying – I am not bothered about it personally and I stick (within reason) around the speed limit. What annoys me is the plod response in only (seemingly, to my knowledge) focusing on catching people when they know there will be more offenders. As said before I use the road daily around school time and have never seen plod there at those times, but I have seen them there at night and at weekends. Quite simply they know they will catch more people who DO ignore the limit and use it to their advantage. Personally I think their time could be better spent elsewhere.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Ah OK, I take your point and conceed. I obviously wasn’t paying sufficient attention 😉

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Ohh shit – there appears to be an outbreak of agreement! The Interweb may implode!

😆

Sandwich

Even Lewis Hamilton rear ended someone ffs.

Was it Massa again? I bet he was pissed!!

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

😆

DezB
    Free Member

How dare my thread result in agreement and joviality 🙁

stilltortoise
    Free Member

there appears to be an outbreak of agreement!

Quick, get the commissioner to turn on the TJ-signal 😆

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Of course we’re jovial – we havn’t been done for speeding 🙂

Stuey01
    Free Member

my bro is getting along fine btw

I actually blame my dad for being in hospital the selfish old bugger.

Your Brother is your Dad?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Of course we’re jovial – we havn’t been done for speeding

8)

hora
    Free Member

Was it Massa again? I bet he was pissed!!

I walked into that one 😆

I meant off track….

Saying this, I hope he doesn’t walk into a public urinal when Massa is in there

prezet
    Free Member

What annoys me is the plod response in only (seemingly, to my knowledge) focusing on catching people when they know there will be more offenders

I stick (within reason) around the speed limit.

The reason they’re there, is because some people can’t grasp the very simple concept of a speed limit.

DezB
    Free Member

Is it like where there’s a limit to the speed your car is supposed to be driven at?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

The reason they’re there, is because some people can’t grasp the very simple concept of a speed limit.

But is it?

stilltortoise
    Free Member

MF, fundamentally yes it is. if everyone obeyed the speed limit 100% of the time we’d have no need for speed cameras/traps anywhere. It’s a bit of a silly tangent to the argument really. I’m not sure how anyone can dispute this, but I’m sure someone will try…

br
    Free Member

MF, fundamentally yes it is. if everyone obeyed the speed limit 100% of the time we’d have no need for speed cameras/traps anywhere. It’s a bit of a silly tangent to the argument really. I’m not sure how anyone can dispute this, but I’m sure someone will try…

And would probably make no difference whatsoever to casualty figures…

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

In most cases it is yes I entirely agree. I can only comment on my own experience of the road near my house which seems to be targeted despite the council admitting that it doesn’t even really need to be a 20mph limit outside of school hours (it is a quite wide road and only has one corner – ie lots of long straight to see down).

Perhaps when they can afford the time-specific replacement signs the police will go back to doing something more productive with their time (like perhaps enforcing fair and acceptable speed limits elsewhere in the town)?

Or even just spend their time ticketing the bloody drivers who park on the pavement along that road – especially the ones dropping off little Tarquin in their big 4×4 right outside the school gate and on the pedestrian crossing which surely is more of a danger than someone doing 30mph along it at 2am…

Cougar

That makes you think about speeding looking where you’re going.

FTFY.

I’m sure that if the car wasn’t speeding, the severity of the accident would’ve been less. However, I’m also fairly sure that if the driver and the unfortunate lad had both been paying attention to what they were doing then the accident wouldn’t have happened in the first place.

Sadly, we don’t yet have ‘looking where you’re going’ cameras, so speed limits help lessen the unpleasant effects of driver / pedestrian stupidity.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

And would probably make no difference whatsoever to casualty figures…

As they say on the telly court-room dramas, “Conjecture!”

Speed cameras are there to help enforce a law, much like a breathalyser test shows if someone exceeds the drink-drive limit. If someone doesn’t like the law, they should put their energy into campaigning to have it changed, but I don’t see why they blame the tools that catch lawbreakers. This is not me being self-righteous; I’ve been caught fair and square in the past.

ncfenwick
    Free Member

Am I right in thinking that the OP describes a hypothetical situation that did not actually happen?

BoardinBob

Am I right in thinking that the OP describes a hypothetical situation that did not actually happen?

I got a faint whiff of trollage a couple of pages back

DezB
    Free Member

Why/how would I make that up? Jeez there’s some weird folk on this forum. 😕

Jamie
    Free Member

Jeez there’s some weird folk on this forum.

You must be new here.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

If you’d have been paying attention you’d have seen them and not been caught. Doofus.

DezB
    Free Member

I was too busy texting

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

The point is that the injuries to someone you hit at 40 are a lot worse than someone you hit at 30 – go and watch the videos on a speedawareness course (33mph in a 30).

Aren’t Toyota bringing out a car with a texting interface?

DezB
    Free Member

The new Yaris has web browsing capability. Marvellous!

(The only person I was likely to hit was wearing a hi-viz and holding a hairdryer) *sighs*

molgrips
    Free Member

Also, when driving slower it’s much easier to avoid the unexpected.

Lifer
    Free Member

anotherdeadhero – Member

Have fun outside built up areas, but respect the 30/40 limit FFS.

If you want to have fun, book a **** track day.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Oh, a high horser bit.

What on earth am I going to do with a track day? zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

That mentality will rid us of cycle road racing, cycling on the road for recreation, and confine MTBing to trail centres too.

It is possible to enjoy public highways while constraining yourself to the highway code.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Also, when driving slower it’s much easier to avoid the unexpected.

And when paying attention, there is nothing unexpected…….

whatnobeer
    Free Member

And when paying attention, there is nothing unexpected…….

Well that’s bollocks.

donsimon
    Free Member

Well that’s bollocks.

Didn’t see that coming. 🙁

whatnobeer
    Free Member

If they’re unexpected you’re not expecting them even if you are paying attention… Not to say it doesnt mean you wont have time to do something about it though.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Well that’s bollocks.

No it’s not.

singletrackmind

Oh , well stuff happens Sir Dezinauld.
    Hows your Dad doing , have they figured out a better course of meds yet .
    Didnt know about your bro , hope he gets sorted too .
    Off skiing on Sat 14th but might stick my head in if i do a RR over t’weekend

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 287 total)

The topic ‘Done for speeding last night..’ is closed to new replies.