Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 160 total)
  • Enough about Bowie
  • ahwiles
    Free Member

Ro5ey – Member

Lets take a look at the band that, more than any other, was the rebellion against over produced noise …. Nirvana.

ok.

And now lets look at their big break through moment

Reading, 1992.

and they’d been going for a good while before that.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

You seem to keep posting things you don’t mean, it’s awfully confusing…

Yes, I can see that now.

dazh

but is it really necessary to speak ill of the dead? but is it really necessary to speak ill of the dead?

It’s neither about speaking ill of the dead or not liking him. Simply a response to the quite frankly hysterical reaction of both the media and a large chunk of the population to the death of a man who whilst unquestionably inspirational and a musical genius, also had a serious dark side which people should be open about, rather than conveniently ignoring them because it doesn’t suit the collective idea of him.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Northwind

Ro5ey – Member

And now lets look at their big break through moment … Live in New York …

Their breakthrough moment was probably MTV playlisting Smells Like Teen Spirit tbh, Live in New York wouldn’t have happened if they’d not already been well and truly broken through- they’d already had a number one album and owned Reading.

(also they covered the Vaselines in that set so I’m not sure what it says for quality/taste 😉 )

stumpy01

Ro5ey – Member

Just one second my good man….

Lets take a look at the band that, more than any other, was the rebellion against over produced noise …. Nirvana.

And now lets look at their big break through moment … Live in New York

HA HA! Really?! That MTV Unplugged mush….? No way.
    As it stands, it is quite a good mellow bit of music. But they were big way before then!
    And yes they covered The Man who Sold the World, but they also covered other tracks & did a load of their own stuff…..that track was hardly the defining moment of the evening (for me…..I prefer their version of Jesus don’t want me for a sunbeam to the David Bowie cover and the moment when Kurt asks in the background ‘what are they tuning……..a harp?’ between songs).

You only got to do MTV unplugged if you were already a successful act.

Perhaps MTV unplugged was a breakthrough for them, but only to all the people who wanted to like Nirvana but preferred to listen to them with the edges smoothed off, the distortion pedal disconnected & the volume no louder than a 5 on the dial…..

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

Ro5ey – Member

Surely Nirvana was the media friendly pop version of the grunge scene that was coming out of North West US. I always preferred Mud Honey.

aracer
    Free Member

Has Nirvana died as well now? 😥

bluehelmet
    Free Member

dazh – Member
    but is it really necessary to speak ill of the dead? but is it really necessary to speak ill of the dead?
    It’s neither about speaking ill of the dead or not liking him. Simply a response to the quite frankly hysterical reaction of both the media and a large chunk of the population to the death of a man who whilst unquestionably inspirational and a musical genius, also had a serious dark side which people should be open about, rather than conveniently ignoring them because it doesn’t suit the collective idea of him.

As I quite rightly agreed and can be argued without saying he should have been shot because one tune didn’t meet with the criterior of at least one particular commentator here. We all live our lives we all make mistakes as indeed he did, that was another quality, not fearing the consequence of breaking new ground, you don’t alwys get it right, but to most he got it right more often than he got it wrong. Will I be as upset when Paul McCartney, or Mick Jagger wend their merry way to their maker, I don’t think so. You needed to have been young, vulnerable or just plain confused at the time he came on the scene, to really appreciate what he did, the rest is what he can be criticisd for just a Pop star, but he was THE star that broke the ground for everyone else, and I’d love a quid for every time he’s been sampled. You could say the same about Jerry Lee, or Chuck Berry, but they were not quite as artistic nor were their lyrics in the same league, anyway far be it from me to continue eulogising on a thread that’s about being fed up with it, I’m just saying ‘kids, show some respect for your elders’ and betters in this case. 😉

soobalias
    Free Member

is this how the OP expected the thread to go…

grum
    Free Member

bluehelmet living up to the latter part of his user name there ^^^^

mrsfry
    Free Member

Of course he did. It is STW 🙂

RichPenny
    Free Member

I always preferred Mud Honey.

Mudhoney, no?

bluehelmet
    Free Member

grum – Member
    bluehelmet living up to the latter part of his user name there ^^^^

And you’re here to say what Mr Grum, something pertinent about the mass hysteria, something horrid about Mr Bowie, or to just emulate a male chicken?

jimjam
    Free Member

bluehelmet
    I’m just saying ‘kids, show some respect for your elders’ and betters in this case.

Was he better than us because he was richer, or because he was more famous?

bluehelmet
    Free Member

jimjam – Member
    bluehelmet
    I’m just saying ‘kids, show some respect for your elders’ and betters in this case.
    Was he better than us because he was richer, or bacuase he was more famous?

I can’t possibly answer that individually for all I know you could be a living saint, but to generalise, he was better than those being nasty about someone who is dead on an internet forum, OK?

squirrelking
    Free Member

And now lets look at their big break through moment … Live in New York … and one of the stand out tracks that evening…?

The Man Who Sold the World … written by … Bowie, of course

Recorded in November 1993, two months after In Utero (their final album) and over two years since the release of Nevermind which knocked Michael Jackson off of the Billboard number one spot.

So you were saying?

Bluehelmet – who is being nasty? Nothing wrong with calling a spade a spade, if you do things with underage groupies then you deserve to be called to account. It’s exactly attitudes like yours that allow sex crimes like this to be buried. Maybe if people were a bit more open and not made to feel like they were rocking the boat more of those in positions of power would be held to account and justice could be done. What’s nasty is sleeping with 12-15yo children and, despite public knowledge, getting away with it for decades afterwards (one wonders who Roman Polanski pissed off so badly for them to bother with him).

grum
    Free Member

And you’re here to say what Mr Grum, something pertinent about the mass hysteria, something horrid about Mr Bowie, or to just emulate a male chicken?

You were being incredibly patronising up there and confusing your own opinions for some kind of objective fact.

You’ll not see me going into the appreciation thread and being such a tool.

We all live our lives we all make mistakes as indeed he did, that was another quality, not fearing the consequence of breaking new ground, you don’t alwys get it right, but to most he got it right more often than he got it wrong.

That’s a very generous way of putting ‘using your fame to shag very young girls and supporting fascism’. I’ve never ‘made mistakes’ like that.

RichPenny
    Free Member

I’ve never ‘made mistakes’ like that.

……..searches forum…..

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

grum is a well known fascist. Christ…who didn’t know that? 😀

Junkyard
    Free Member

I’ve never ‘made mistakes’ like that.

You have never lived have you.

aracer
    Free Member

We have a new euphemism. Have you lived, JY?

Junkyard
    Free Member

i have done things you people wont believe

badnewz
    Free Member

Like leaving the house? 8)

rudebwoy
    Free Member

wow –the blue helmet needs to change his colour to purple 😉

piemonster

It’s threads like these that highlight how much more some people must be watching the daily “whatever happened today” than me.

I’ve honestly not noticed anything outside this forum. Biggest thing I’ve seen today is a guy swimming with a pack of Labradors.

Edukator
    Free Member

Jerry Lee, or Chuck Berry

Jerry Lee Lewis got a lot of negative press for legally marrying a 13 year old and Chuck did time for taking a 14 year old across state lines. David and Angie Bowie, Iggy Pop, Page lived through more tolerant times with different morals. It’s not as if there was any secret around the antics of the stars and groupies at the time. Now were back to the 50s, the age of consent in Spain was 13 up until last year and several countries have increased.

I suspect that if the “crimes” had been committed in the UK or more recently, charges would have been brought but Sunset Strip is in the US.

However I found Bowie’s fascist period distasteful at the time, still do and even if no crime was committed still find his words more objectionable than his 70s decadence.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I’ve honestly not noticed anything outside this forum

You should get out more.

bluehelmet
    Free Member

grum – Member
    You were being incredibly patronising up there and confusing your own opinions for some kind of objective fact.

You’ll not see me going into the appreciation thread and being such a tool.

We all live our lives we all make mistakes as indeed he did, that was another quality, not fearing the consequence of breaking new ground, you don’t alwys get it right, but to most he got it right more often than he got it wrong.
    That’s a very generous way of putting ‘using your fame to shag very young girls and supporting fascism’. I’ve never ‘made mistakes’ like that.

So it’s not about the media frenzy at all then? It’s just the green eyed monster? Sorry you missed the seventies where everybody got to shag underage girls/boys.? And there was I thinking you’d all had enough talking about him. So I’m sorry you thought I was patronising, it wasn’t meant to come across like that, as for being nasty so far someone thinks he should be shot, someone else that he’s a paedo and should be considered right up there with that nonce Savile, that by the way everyone knew about at the time but was protected by the same outfit that goes on protecting the same type of people this very day – Freemasons, I expect he’ll be accused of that before long , so therefore I’m out of this thread it’s not going anywhere nice is it?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

mefty
    Free Member

the age of consent in Spain was 13 up until last year and several countries have increased.

It, age of consent, has been 18 in California for about 100 years, unless you are married!

squirrelking
    Free Member

David and Angie Bowie, Iggy Pop, Page lived through more tolerant times with different morals

So what about Roman Polanski?

So it’s not about the media frenzy at all then? It’s just the green eyed monster? Sorry you missed the seventies where everybody got to shag underage girls/boys.? And there was I thinking you’d all had enough talking about him. So I’m sorry you thought I was patronising, it wasn’t meant to come across like that, as for being nasty so far someone thinks he should be shot, someone else that he’s a paedo and should be considered right up there with that nonce Savile, that by the way everyone knew about at the time but was protected by the same outfit that goes on protecting the same type of people this very day – Freemasons, I expect he’ll be accused of that before long , so therefore I’m out of this thread it’s not going anywhere nice is it?

By “not going anywhere nice” I presume you mean not going your way. If Savile was a nonce what do you call someone who shags 12-15 year olds? Hero? Legend? Ziggy?

Edukator
    Free Member

Polanski. well if the groupies were more than willing by their own accounts and no complaints were lodged by them or their families, in the case of Polanski:

“Geimer testified that Polanski provided champagne that they shared as well as part of a quaalude,[17] and despite her protests, he performed oral, vaginal, and anal sex acts upon her,[18][19] each time after being told ‘no’ and being asked to stop”

piemonster

You should get out more.

Too much fun at home right now.

3rd beer and a mouthful of Hungarian Sausage whilst listening to Black Sabbath. If the alternative is bickering about appropriate percentiles of news output. Well, **** the world and show me oblivion through a Tesco Finest Cider.

#goodtimetocutmyownhair
    #soundsworsethanitis

Edukator
    Free Member

Saville abused his position and his victims were in car homes.

I don’t think being seduced by someone under age is the same as raping someone under age. Not that I’d do either or even encourage the former. I was never a part of the “free love”, “hippie”, “alternative” or any variation of such a life style. I do remember the groupies becoming stars in their own right though with lots of media coverage. I can still remember an interview with a mother who clearly thought her daughter was doing rather well for herself though can’t remember the name of the girl or how old she was.

squirrelking
    Free Member

I don’t think being seduced by someone under age is the same as raping someone under age

In the eyes of the law it’s pretty much the same thing, statutory rape.

Saville abused his position

Are you suggesting Bowie, Page, Jagger etc. didn’t?

I don’t think being seduced by someone under age is the same as raping someone under age.

No, it’s not the same but there’s still no excusing it. Whether or not they consented they were still children.

Edukator
    Free Member

Mandy Smith and Bill Wyman

Edit: Note Wyman went to the police but they weren’t interest. Consent, parental agreement, true love, a marriage – mitigating circumstances that mean something to me. On the other hand I can’t find any mitigating circumstances for Cyril Smith or Saville.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Remember all the grief tourists surrounding Jackson and this ensuing song?

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVACUjHn6yU[/video]

😆

konabunny
    Free Member

don’t think being seduced by someone under age is the same as raping someone under age.

Jesus wept. Someone doesn’t understand the concept of consent.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

a mouthful of Hungarian Sausage

I wondered where István had got to. Tell him I miss him won’t you? 🙁

Edukator
    Free Member

Evening, Konabunny. Sleep tight.

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 160 total)

The topic ‘Enough about Bowie’ is closed to new replies.