Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Dog friendly beaches and other near totnes
  • peter1979
    Free Member

Going away for a couple of days not far from Totnes (south Devon). I’m looking for recommendations for dog friendly beaches and gluten free fish and chips places near by.
    Any other must see/do things also welcome, but must be dog friendly.

oldnpastit

I’m staying in Salcombe, lots of dog friendly beaches but apparently only until end of April.

Also, don’t bother trying to get here by car.

nickjb
    Free Member

We go to the bit of coast around Bigbury/Hope Cove a lot. Plenty of dog friendly bits. I think most, if not all, are beaches are dog friendly in low season. In high season it is maybe every other beach so if one isn’t usually the one next door is. Its a really nice walk all along that coast, from Salcombe to Bigbury, and beyond. Nice to do with dogs, although there is the occasional sheep or cow field to be aware of. It’s much emptier than the East side of South Devon, which is a bit closer to you.

Dartmoor is worth a visit too. Plenty of nice walks.

Dartmouth is also a nice town with some interesting history. I think you can take dogs on the ferry, which is a nice little ride.

Can’t help you with gluten free food but lots of nice places to eat in Salcombe, and a few in Hope Cove if you do head that way.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Wait. Are there beaches that aren’t dog friendly?!

jam-bo

on a lot of beaches in the SW, there are dog bans in place from may-october.

Jingle
    Free Member

Gluten Free Fish & Chips

I recommend David’s Fish and Chips, 64 Bolton Street, Brixham, TQ5 9DH

https://www.davids-chippy.co.uk/

as they say:

“If you can PHONE us, giving us around 30 minutes notice, we can cook our regular Fish and Chips, GLUTEN FREE, in separate pans, well away from our main fryers. Please note that this is cooked to order and therefore 30 minutes notice is appreciated.  We are unable to accept GLUTEN FREE orders online, orders for GLUTEN FREE can ONLY be accepted by telephone, please call us on 01803 855771 option 1 instead. EACH ITEM WILL BE MARKED AS ‘GF’, PLEASE CHECK THIS IS CLEARLY MARKED ON YOUR ORDER, BEFORE CONSUMING PRODUCT, ANY QUESTIONS PLEASE CALL US TO CHECK, WE WILL BE HAPPY TO HELP.”

I understand that one of the family is coeliac; they know the attention to detail needed for gluten-free food preparation.

Jingle
    Free Member

Dog friendly beaches

Torbay council website is helpful.  First result of a Google for “Dog friendly beaches in Torbay” gave:

https://www.torbay.gov.uk/asb-environment-and-nuisance/dogs/dogs-on-the-beach/

Jingle
    Free Member

Things to do

Whilst you are down here, please say come and hello to Dartington Morris.  Dogs are welcome, though I’m never sure if the woofing is concern, excitement or confusion.  Calendar of events for this year will be out soon:  we normally perform on Friday evenings, but also do fetes and things.

https://dartingtonmorris.uk/

nickjb
    Free Member

This was between Salcombe and Hope Cove

Dog friendly beaches, dog friendly walks and dog friendly cliff tops 🙂

dakuan
    Free Member

Wait. Are there beaches that aren’t dog friendly?!

birds are nesting in the dunes around them, so many beaches ban dogs (because owners can’t be trusted to keep em on lead)

jam-bo

i thought it was to stop them shitting all over the beach, that’s South West Water’s job…

flicker
    Free Member

The nesting bird argument I can understand the dog mess, not so much…(Not aimed at either of you, more the councils who put the restrictions on place)

https://static.standard.co.uk/s3fs-public/thumbnails/image/2020/06/26/07/Bournemouthbeachrubbish26062020.jpg?width=1200

IdleJon

The nesting bird argument I can understand the dog mess, not so much…(Not aimed at either of you, more the councils who put the restrictions on place)

https://static.standard.co.uk/s3fs-public/thumbnails/image/2020/06/26/07/Bournemouthbeachrubbish26062020.jpg?width=1200

Most beaches around here have a dog ban and it’s because of shit, not litter or nesting birds. Local beaches don’t look like your picture, but they did used to be covered in dogshit which is even less appealing on a beach than on a pavement for obvious reasons. God knows where it all came from because every dog owner claims to pick up after their dog. Must be the gulls.

flicker
    Free Member

I can’t say it’s something I’ve ever noticed on any beach I’ve ever been to, I guess it might be a problem for seaside towns but I avoid them because they’re full of people.

peter1979
    Free Member

Thanks for all the replies. We went to Blackpool sands for a walk around the beach, had some GF fish and chips in Dartmouth and will be doing some coastal path today. Much appreciated.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.