Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Dog chews
  • hammy7272
    Free Member

Hi

Our Doberman cross loves a munch on a thick raw hide chew in evening.

Thing is he goes through them in no time and these things are really big and thick not the straw like ones.

Anyone got any alternatives, tried the rubber things but he’s not fussed. I’ve seen the horn and antler chews. Any good?

Thanks

LeeW

Give ours yak chews they’re expensive but do last. Or, paddywack, neck ligaments off coows/sometimes sheep.

dooosuk
    Free Member

Raw hide is pretty nasty stuff to give your dog.

We give ours Yakkers or Antlers. Both seem to last a while.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Our bull lurcher cracked a tooth on a yak chew. I’d not give them to dogs that have the jaw strength to break teeth.

Ended up with a rather expensive extraction.

In terms of self calming exercises, we give her Kong’s stuffed with forthglade, lucky mats, snuffle mats, bobalots and treat balls.

patagonian
    Free Member

We avoid rawhide products (although one did get past our vetting process last week which he got very excited about) but antlers are always a good standby.
    There are rawhide alternatives (Smart Bones is one example) and our Beagle loves them but they only last a few minutes.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Ostrich bones are a new favourite for our boy. Beef knuckles as well, happily chews away on his when he takes the notion. Paddywack is also a good treat.

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

We use the yak milk things, our lurcher loves them.

Plus, when they get gnawed down to a stump, you can put them in the microwave for ~40 seconds, and they puff up like popcorn, for an extra-special doggy treat you can bribe your dog with.

Sandwich

We tried the yak milk chew, a determined Dalmatian can finish one in a day! Antlers or horn chews last better. The current one likes hi Nylabone which is now over a year old and barely damaged!

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

I can’t remember who by, but we were warned off antler chews because of potential shard damage, and being paranoid overprotective dog owners we banned them immediately. Horn is a favourite though.

TiRed

Wood?

https://www.greenandwilds.co.uk/chewroots/

saves on the chairlegs he chews anyway…

Futureboy77

Rawhide is nasty stuff for dogs. Mine just get raw, meaty bones.
    Duck/chicken necks or lamb ribs are favourites plus the odd treat from the local butcher.

barnun
    Free Member

Antlers last ages for our spaniel, make sure you get the hard ones not the soft ones designed for puppies though.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Dog chews’ is closed to new replies.