Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Does anyone read their local paper?
  • iDave
    Free Member

Just tried to. Full of complete crap about glumpties.

Who reads this shit?

markenduro
    Free Member

Only look at the online version, just to see who has lost their dog this week and see the numpty local councilor being photographed pointing at a pothole in some back road that nobody uses saying how it’s a disgrace.

ton

i read the paper from where i used to live.
    obituries 1st, local sport reults 2nd, and court reports to finish.

jam-bo

Tavistock times is a great read. Makes me smile every Thursday.

druidh
    Free Member

Sometimes, there are very informative articles…

http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/edinburgh/Tale-of-two-cities-for.6719757.jp

psling
    Free Member

Yep. Weekly paper. Like ton, obituries first and unfortunately there’s not many weeks go by where I don’t know someone 🙁

FeeFoo
    Free Member

local councilor being photographed pointing at a pothole in some back road that nobody uses saying how it’s a disgrace.

That was exactly the picture in our local paper this week.

ton

psling………….cos we are getting older mate. 😉

samuri
    Free Member

I got in an argument with one of the columnists in our local paper a while ago when she complained about the badly designed cycle lanes and how it was cyclists fault that the roads were so busy. To their credit they printed my first letter which pointed out the irony in a car driver complaining about busy roads and cyclists in the same column but they neatly sidestepped my point that it’s not cyclists who create cycle lanes.

I keep my eye on the paper now just in case they start printing cyclism related propaganda again. If she’d been complaining about someone’s religion or colour rather than their mode of transport, she’d have been arrested for inciting hate.

Being over 40 is great.

BadlyWiredDog

It’s good for stuffing into wet boots. And that’s about it.

psling
    Free Member

ton – Member
    psling………….cos we are getting older mate.

Yeah, I know. After the obituries I look at the classifieds to see if there are any trikes for sale…

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I read the online Orcadian even though I no longer stay in Orkney. Court page first. Its amazing how Orcadian’s could find ever more curious ways to end up in court.

Harry_the_Spider

I do so I can see how the school idiot is getting on.

Brian Oliver

sas
    Free Member

It gives single minded bloggers something to do:
    http://apiln.blogspot.com/

The Now show on Radio 4 used to do a roundup of local news stories, this is probably my favourite. Make sure you read the comments too.
    http://www.thisiskent.co.uk/news/Seagull-flies-cat-beak/article-1124971-detail/article.html

spasmicgherkin
    Free Member

A cursory skim to see if anyone i went to school with’s in prison/dead, and i like to keep track of how many jobs are advertised as a straw poll of how well the area’s doing (5 jobs this week, not the worst). if i’m feeling really frisky and that weekly five minutes of misanthropy wasn’t enough, i’ll check the properties and see how much nicer a house i could’ve bought had i waited a couple of years.

The rest of it’s tat.

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

Hackney Gazette and Waltham Forest Guardian online for news about the O’s

Sometimes buy the Cambridge Evening News, same old stories though which are A14, Guided Bus, Travellers and how crap/skint Cambridge United are

sc-xc

I read the Dudley News yesterday (free paper).

One of the lead stories was…

Man falls down hole.

Kevevs
    Free Member

[*]http://www.framleyexaminer.com/[/*]

Kevevs
    Free Member

edit: sorry a bit big :/

bravohotel8er
    Free Member

Bournemouth Daily Echo, but online only and mainly for the comments after the articles.

A recent highlight was ‘I can spell perfectally well thanks’

Stoner
    Free Member

I enjoy reading the Malvern Gazette. The house section and sometimes the news. But mainly the letters page for the comfort of realising you lot arent the grumpiest gits in the world 😉

Kevevs
    Free Member

In our local rag letters page there is an ongoing to and fro’ between a CTC bloke and some local busybodies about whether Llandudno prom should be made available for cycling/cycle path. every flippin week it’s the same people sending in exactly same letters over and over saying the same thing.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

That sounds like most arguments on here…

teagirl
    Free Member

Craven Herald is legendary, can’t wait for Thursdays. Belper News, however, bought 1 in 6 yrs of living there.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I met Kevevs off here (above!) as a result of reading my local free paper.

Hmmm….

yunki
    Free Member

I only read the local paper…

the nationals are full of ‘news’ about the dandies or the latest shock horror emotional terrorism or rubbish about the wealthier classes and government decisions..

If you think about any of it logically and with a bit of common sense you may come to notice that none of it is really relevant to you or your kin..
    all of these things will still happen and you will still not do anything about it.. ever

utter bollo

wallop

No. The online version of the Bristol Evening Post has so many comments by anti-cyclist cretins that my blood boils every time I read it.

For example:

http://www.thisisbristol.co.uk/news/Attacker-smashed-bike-car/article-2873528-detail/article.html

Ive just read the BEP responses! What a bunch of W~~~~~S! It’s hard to believe that people hold such blinkered views. 🙄

pault41
    Free Member

Read local Cambrian News ,just to see which local inbred has been selling his wacky backy again”personal use only my lord”lol.
    Look at jobs , read letters page as recently had my own rant about dog mess on local walks,usually some humour to be found in it.

When i go to brothers house, bath direction read,somerset Guardian ,bit of nostalga where i grew up ,so see who’s up to what etc.

Weasel
    Free Member

Local papers always show angry residents either pointing at the subject – hole in the road/fallen down wall/grafitti etc, or they are angry at the said subject and will have glum faces and crossed arms. I find the crossed arm look more amusing

I read the local rag online and the best thing is the readers comments. This weeks ‘news’ includes a paper boy who was sacked without notice, (and he was saving up his hard earnt money) and the fire brigade being called to the local hospital to cut off a womans wedding ring as her hand had swollen up after she broke her arm. Needless to say the comments refer how on earth the paper decides these are stories that anyone gives a damn about.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

I love my local paper. The stories are a bit ropey but I kind of like that. There is a section which gives you the news from 25, 50 and 100 years ago which I find fascinating. The name and shame for the local courts is alway worth a read as well.

bravohotel8er
    Free Member

yunki – Member

I only read the local paper…

the nationals are full of ‘news’ about the dandies or the latest shock horror emotional terrorism or rubbish about the wealthier classes and government decisions..

If you think about any of it logically and with a bit of common sense you may come to notice that none of it is really relevant to you or your kin..
    all of these things will still happen and you will still not do anything about it.. ever

utter bollo

‘**** the system, I was born to rage against them!’

BigJohn

I enjoy reading the Stafford Newsletter, although you have to acquire the taste for it.
    The letters page can be hugely if unintentionally funny, but their habit of calling women with leukemia “Cancer Mom” fills me with rage. To sum up a woman’s life with those two words is inexplicable.

CaptJon
    Free Member

I find talking to the local movers and shakers far more informative than reading a paper.

joeydeacon
    Free Member

My local paper is just village fetes and paedophiles.

However is a bit interesting this week – featuring a story on a mate’s gf (who everyone hates) who went a bit mental and tried to kill him by setting the house on fire whilst he was asleep, and then phoned the police to say she’d been kidnapped. Even more mental is the fact that he still hasn’t even contemplated leaving her. Quite what she has to do for him to leave her (given that she’s tried to kill him, burn down his mum’s house, and get him arrested for kidnap) I’m not sure. He won’t listen to his mates either way.

grumm
    Free Member

I bought my local paper for the first time probably ever because they printed one of my pictures 🙂

We get it at work to see if press releases etc have gone in but that’s about it. Mostly utter drivel.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Does anyone read their local paper?’ is closed to new replies.