Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Does anyone own one of these . ? CX content.
  • stanfree
    Free Member

Looking to buy an entry level Cx bike and this seems fairly decent for the cash .
    So does anyone own one or can suggest something for around £650 as I don’t want to start any finance deals.

antimony
    Free Member

That’s the one I wanted, just not in a 52cm, so the search goes on.

thorlz
    Free Member

I have the cyclocross 4. Same frame but different forks and running gear.

I love it, but as my first CX bike I do have nothing to compare it to.

You’re welcome to give it a test ride if you want
    (based just north of Stoke on Trent)

stanfree
    Free Member

Thanks for the offer , my only concern was the Alloy fork but I guess I can live with that coming from a hefty steel cdf. I think If I could have got a 2014 caadx in the sales that would probably have been the perfect bike though I’d have probably moaned about the BB30 bottom bracket.

bajsyckel

Stanfree – I have one, in 52 but with slightly different paintjob.

Actually I built it up from the frameset so can’t comment on the rest of the spec other than I chose to build up a frame with sram groupset offer from merlin, bb7s on sale and XT hub & old rim based wheelset along with planet x finishing kit and some bits from the spares box for about that price which seemed better value (though more hassle obviously). When I looked at the full build I didn’t take to the merida branded stuff (would have had to change bar and stem, seatpost and rims looked a bit low end) or the wheelset massively so decided to go down that route and would do so again.

I haven’t been able to ride it as much as I’d have liked due to injury and a new baby arriving, but anyway, it feels pretty comparable to my previous jake the snake, and similar to a mates new giant cx (though IMO less smart looking than the latter). Carbon fork is definitely a nice change from what I’m used to. I think most of the entry level alu cx bikes I’ve seen or had a spin are more or less alike, though geometry changes between them so worth a try out to see what suits.

Anyway, lack of space for baby and bike things means the frameset has been stripped down over the summer and I’ve been meaning to sell it as I’m not going to be racing this winter and we need the space (been too busy to write a for sale ad though). I’d definitely say worth a try and frame basis for a good value build. I’m only getting rid of mine as it’s that or the mtb. 🙁

edit – just saw your post while I was posting the above. The fork on mine is carbon – much nicer than the front end of a cdf ( though less pretty). Not sure if there is an alu forked version but worth checking. And I deliberately avoided bb30 frames which was a good thing with the merida.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

my only concern was the Alloy fork

this for me. Recently in the same boat, only criteria were disc brakes and carbon fork. I picked up a 2013 Saracen Hack 2 for £650 (genuine CX bike marketed as urban warrior and fitted with slicks).

CF forks are about vibration/buzz reduction as much as weight loss.

This lower model 2014 Hack 1 comes with CF forks but lower (9spd Sora) groupset so guess its a trade-off at this price

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Saracen-Hack-1-2014-Road-Bike-Fully-Built-54cm-/301146674106?pt=UK_Bikes_GL&hash=item461dbd93ba#ht_2380wt_1142

Should you consider a Hack they come up small, I thought I wanted a 54cm, but got a 56 (which measures 54 C-T IIRC).

stanfree
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies , I sold my cdf today so should be heading down to try a merida tomorrow. I think as has been said I will get rid of the Merida branded seat etc and try and get some decent wheels after the winter.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Does anyone own one of these . ? CX content.’ is closed to new replies.