Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Does anyone or their partner have a School-hours job?
  • Dancake
    Free Member

What is the Job?

My Wife is currently in Childcare (well trained and 15 years experience)

However, She fancies a change. Mrs Dancake has worked in various tiers of responsibility but currently works Term time only in a small group for about £400 quid a month. We thought about looking for a TA position and this is definitely a possibility if one comes up.

But what about something different? I would love to be the low earner so I could give anything a go.. 😉

NB Forgot to mention that We dont have a big support network to look after my son out of school hours so anything over School hours is out. I work Shifts so regular weekends or nights is out too

1-shed
    Free Member

I work within Speech and language dept and I work 9:15 till 3:00 but through out the year. Before that worked in a children’s centre similar hours. Transferrable skills and self belief can take into new roles. As well as looking .gov jobs check NHS. May try to extend my daily hours and work mainly term time only soon.

bigblackshed

The Wife is a SEN TA. She purposely chose her job as it was term / school time hours. Not a great deal of money but only part time, so…….

FWIW all of the advertised TA jobs ask for NVQs, preferably at level 3. Competition for jobs is very hot and not many, if any are on a long term contract. Funding is applied for every 6 months for the SEN child so job security is “flexible”.

Thankfully she has been employed for the last 3 years, 1 she’s very accommodating and flexible, and 2 she’s VERY good at her job.

wwaswas

If she can do some voluntary TA work in a school – shows willing, gives her an idea of what’s involved.

Also, look at special needs schools – they often have very high staff:pupil ratios and have a lot of TA’s – they also will have a requirement for ‘supply’ TA’s to cover sickness etc – at my wife’s school the good supply TA’s are virtually full time covering different absences.

cchris2lou

i work in a special need school as a catering manager .

as said above we have 120 staff for 80 students .

we are lucky that everything is in house . only a few people have to work all year round ( finance, site )

we get a few volunteers and they ususally do better at interviews when jobs come up .

one thing to note is that with recession and lack of money , a lot of people are asked to do a bit more than before . so might not be ideal if you need school pick ups etc…

moniex
    Free Member

I work for the local county council as a road safety assistant, mainly delivering road safety education in schools. Flexible, school hours and term time…I love it! I am based at home and have a range of local schools ‘on my books’.

Allows me to look after the kids.

However, pay is just as ‘flexible’ as the hours, so wouldn’t suit everyone.

Dancake
    Free Member

FWIW all of the advertised TA jobs ask for NVQs, preferably at level 3. Competition for jobs is very hot and not many, if any are on a long term contract. Funding is applied for every 6 months for the SEN child so job security is “flexible”.

Indeed. She did the NNEB before NVQs took over so that is recognised still . Experience-wise, she was a Deputy in a Sure start Nursery before Leaving to have a Child. It was long days, full time back then and Good Money (council – not private) but She carried a lot of stress home. I don’t want to go back to that. More recently, the small Charity run Playgroup has been where she has been most happy all be it with pennies compared to what she was on before

I will definitely suggest some voluntary work. My son started School yesterday; once the staggered intake is all done and dusted Mrs Dancake might finally have some free time. (Dancake JNR did the same hours as her at the same playgroup, then came home (with her ) 😯

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Does anyone or their partner have a School-hours job?’ is closed to new replies.