Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Does an actually waterproof, actually breathable, 'cycling fit' jacket exist?
  • IHN

Cos mine, which used to be such a thing, no longer is (it’s very not actually waterproof anymore).

It was a DHB eVent thing that was the business, but it’s died of (venerable) old age, which meant a pretty miserable hour and a half’s commute in the rain yesterday.

So, what else is out there? I don’t want or need pockets or a hood, I do want a nice cycling cut (so slimmish, with longish arms and back). And I want it properly waterproof and breathable, like eVent is when it’s not died of old age).

ads678

Surely Goretex is the answer?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Erm, a new event one maybe?

IHN

Erm, a new event one maybe?

Well, yes, that would be ideal, but I can’t find any (the DHB one is no longer made)

bacondoublechee
    Free Member

generally anything with Gore Active Shell would fit your bill. My pick is the Sportful Survival jacket (I don’t get on with Gore’s own brand fit at all).

Del

your old coat probably needs re-treating. have you attempted this?

z1ppy

Indeedy reproofing +1 (nikwax 1ltr combo pack from tesco’s for £15)

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Bontrager eVent Packable

IHN

your old coat probably needs re-treating. have you attempted this?

I have, but never particularly successfully… The thing is probably 10 years old though, I assumed the membrane (or whatever it is) is effectively dead. Happy to be re-educated

Bontrager eVent Packable

looks ideal, however I can’t find anywhere that actually sells them.

ac282

Castelli do event jackets. Not cheap though.

ransos
    Free Member

I have, but never particularly successfully… The thing is probably 10 years old though, I assumed the membrane (or whatever it is) is effectively dead. Happy to be re-educated

Try washing it in ordinary detergent – you need to get rid of the grease and grime that the Nikwax-type soaps won’t touch. Then use Nikwax/ Grangers detergent, re-proof, and tumble dry.

Doesn’t cost you much to try it when compared to the cost of a new jacket.

IHN

Ah, I’ve always used pure soap. I’m too gentle 🙂

Get yourself something nice in Ventile. Hilltrek do a cycling jacket and its made in the UK.

steezysix
    Free Member

If I remember correctly, Event lacks the oleophobic (oil hating) memebrane that Goretex has. This means it breathes better when clean but tends to be more affected by dirt & sweat. As above, good detergent (no fabric softener!) then retreat with Nikwax or grangers. Most people think jackets are leaking when they’re actually not breathing, so get wet on the inside.

roger_mellie

I was in a very similar situation to you OP, when I noticed my own DHB eVent jacket was no longer waterproof after many years of service. Re-waterproofing only worked for a very limited time.
    After recommendations on here I went for a Pace eVent jacket, as it was similarly ‘frill-free’ to the DHB one I had previously.
    Linky
    The only thing that isn’t as good as the old DHB, is that I get a bit of midriff bunching of material when on the bike.

(I also tried a Gore Alp X before the Pace and it was awful. I had to send it back to Wiggle as not fit for purpose).

ransos
    Free Member

Ah, I’ve always used pure soap. I’m too gentle

Both Goretex and Event say that ordinary detergent is fine. I managed to rejuvenate my Rab walking jacket (Event) recently with ordinary bio and a tumble dry afterwards. Outdoor shops would have you believe that your kit will disintegrate unless you use Nikwax soap, but it’s total BS.

tang
    Free Member

Mavic, castelli.

IHN

(no fabric softener!)

Given that MrsIHN insists on using fabric softener (a different gripe…), do I need to stick the machine through an empty quick wash cycle first to get rid of any traces?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

The way my body runs

actually waterproof

and

actually breathable

are mutually exclusive.

Also, when it’s 15 degC and raining, will any jacket ‘breathe’?.

damascus
    Free Member

Apart from going out in really bad weather and getting wet how do you tell when your gortex has had it?

I find my thinner packaway jackets don’t last as well as my walking thicker jackets but they have a liner. The liner seems to help with wicking moisture away too.

Does the gortex perish over time or just get clogged up or torn etc?

FOG

No. Or to be more exact they do exist but are not effective enough to pass the amount of moisture you generate when cycling. I am always amused by the ads that quote transpiration rates without mentioning how much humans produce.
    Now O just use a decent wind proof and accept I am going to get wet at some point. However I don’t commute!

ransos
    Free Member

Also, when it’s 15 degC and raining, will any jacket ‘breathe’?.

As above, not sufficiently, but why would you want a waterproof when it’s that warm? You’re not going to get cold and you’re not going to dissolve…

MrTricky
    Free Member

Don’t use biological powder, use non-bio. Rinse the machine beforehand on a hot cycle to get rid of any biological/softener residue.
    Event jackets sometimes have a label that says ‘wash me often’. Don’t be scared to wash, Gore had (may still have) washing machines running 24 hours per day to test their fabrics.
    Rinse at least twice.
    Reproof when still slightly damp (check the product you are using, though many work best like this).
    If product label says tumble, then definitely tumble as this affects the outermost fibres and proofing agent on some jackets. But…….
    It’s quite old, and well used, so may be time to say goodbye.
    Why not look at Paramo? They have some new, lighter, cycling oriented waterproofs in the range.

David

MrTricky
    Free Member

P.s. Best breathability, can cope with high temperatures and waterproof too is…..

An umbrella.

Light, cheap, and…….best for walking though.

kcr
    Free Member

I don’t think any waterproof will keep you totally dry inside if you are working hard enough, but I’ve used a Vaude Skyfly for a few years, and found it very waterproof and very breathable. It’s a very minimal jacket, so no good if you want lots of pockets and flaps, but it packs really small, and has worn well (I’ve had other jackets where taping, seams and membranes have worn out fairly quickly, but have not had that problem with the Vaude.
    I just bought the new version, the Skyfly 2, used it on a long wet ride last week, and it performed very well.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Pace 4×4

john_l
    Free Member

Gore Oxygen is very breathable & totally waterproof. IME.

freehighlander
    Free Member

Simple really if its breathable then its not waterproof.

Its all to do with compromise.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Does an actually waterproof, actually breathable, 'cycling fit' jacket exist?’ is closed to new replies.