Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • do you wear????
  • ashleydwsmith
    Free Member

Morning, as winter is drawing in I’m trying to build my winter cycling wardrobe.

Going to buy sealskinz gloves and socks, but thinking about trousers/bibs. Do people wear waterproof trousers? I imagine them being very rustly e.t.c, or do you just wear bib trousers and let your legs get wet?

Any recommendations?

fingerbike
    Free Member

3/4 Bibs and get wet, then full length when its really cold.. I’d imagine waterproof trousers would make me too hot after a while.
    Don’t forget the overshoes!

ashleydwsmith
    Free Member

Was gonna get the sealskinz socks!

rOcKeTdOg

On torrential rain mtb rides i wear goretex army surplus trews i got off ebay for £12

Keva
    Free Member

I’ve got a pair of these, recommended by someone off here. They’re pretty good, nice and warm and will take a certain amount of water but if it’s pissing down and I’m going to be out for some time I’ll wear bibs /tights.

http://www.groundeffect.co.nz/product-detail-RAN-LON.htm

z1ppy

For me I use full length lycra with baggies when it gets too cold, supplemented with 3/4 waterproof short when it’s either really wet or pee-ing it down. With decent pair of waterproof boots, which I got after ****ing around with sealskin socks and overshoes.

I own a pair of full length waterproof trousers, that I used when I first started riding, since I got lycra, I’ve not used them since. I found I got to hot and sweaty wearing them, so when you do stop, you get cold very quickly. Lycra keeps you warmer even when wet IME.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I have endura 3/4 shorts and I bought a pair of the knee length sealskinz (avoids issue of water running down your legs and into the socks where it gets stuck). When It’s really cold I wear endura thermo tights.

ashleydwsmith
    Free Member

Cheers everyone, summit to be getting on with!

Junkyard
    Free Member

endura stealth – totally waterproof but soft shell – wear waterproof shorts over them for MTB as the arse can wear easily.

Lake Winter boots.

TBH it depends what you are going to do in terms of how long you will be out in the rain. if shortish periods and non biblical levels many longs have a water repellancy and will do.
    For longer periods you need proper waterproofs

Personally I would rather have good boots/overshoes than sealskins

ashleydwsmith
    Free Member

So overshoes are better then! Will look into them!

LeeW

JY, I loved my Stealth biblongs when I first had them. But had to send two pairs back after they leaked/stopped working.

Both pairs went back via CRC, the first lasted less than 12 months. The second lasted nearly 2 years, Endura (& CRC) were brilliant both times, refunding me without question. The second time did take a bit longer as they were sent back to Endura for evaluation.

I’ve got a Stealth Jacket too, no problems so far.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

normal shorts baggies and a t-shirt unless it’s below 0

then 3/4 bibs, baggies, merino top and t-shirt, jacket if it’s raining

would have waterproof shorts but now moved to oz so a little redundant

(below -5 maybe a long sleeve top)

Still overdressed by modern NE standards

parkesie
    Free Member

These look errr warm

tazzymtb

gore softsshell bib tights or endura stealth if it’s really filthy, with some lake winter boots for the depths of wintery slop. Nothing gets in!

ashleydwsmith
    Free Member

Gonna get some full on bib tights, bought a couple of Canterbury ugly tops off a sale site. So wear the, and my bibs, got a decent jacket. Have a jersey on. Will purchase some overshoes for my spd’s and then all I need are some winter gloves and a buff?

dustypumpkins

Gore-tex socks are a million times better than SealSkinz IMHO. Never used overshoes but always been happy with Gore-tex socks and letting the shoes get wet!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘do you wear????’ is closed to new replies.