Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Do you shave / trim your leg hair?
  • cloudnine
    Free Member

After getting distracted (and very nearly crashing) by the 1 inch of leg hair flapping around in the wind yesterday in my 3/4 bibs.. i’ve taken the step of shaving it off with some hair clippers.

Dont think i could bring myself to wet shave.
    Very nearly gave myself an all over no. 0 buzz cut.
    Where do you stop??

padkinson
    Free Member

I shave, but only before races. I let it grow back into it’s natural sheep-like shaggyness in the winter. It’s all extra warmth innit

bikebouy
    Free Member

I stop just above my old chap.. 😆

All the rest comes off with Girlie Immac and those pesky stubborn spider leg hairs get sliced with my razor.

Then a faint hint of fake tan, lots of moisturiser, dancing shoes and I’m done.

HTH

😀

cloudnine
    Free Member

Fake tan? 😆

My pins are rather pale

bonesetter
    Free Member

I find paint scrapers good for the job

bikebouy
    Free Member

Yup, not a lot mind and mix it with moisturiser.. needs to be faint but just enough to colour ..

Wash Your Hands.

Leave your legs to dry before putting jeans on/bibs on.. about 1/2hr will be enough.

😉

njee20
    Free Member

Used to, Ms njee20 hates it though.

Hairy over winter, Veet in spring, then keep on top of them with a Venus razor. I don’t have very hairy thighs, used to stop somewhere mid-thigh, but it didn’t really matter.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Hmm. Interesting, and good tips too, probably.

BUT WHYYYYYYYYYY?

cloudnine – look where you’re going man!

Xylene
    Free Member

I would resemble Buddha himself if I shaved all my body hair off.

I don’t want to confuse people, so no I don’t shave.

njee20
    Free Member

BUT WHYYYYYYYYYY?

Looks better
    Feels nice
    Talking point

There’s all the performance stuff you can pretend to justify it with – faster (according to Spesh), mud doesn’t stick to your legs, massage is easier and more comfortable, easier to clean wounds and less infection.

cloudnine
    Free Member

cloudnine – look where you’re going man!

I wont be so easily distracted now its gone..
    I can post a photo of the pile of leg hair that i collected to prove how distracting it was.

bikebouy
    Free Member

BUT WHYYYYYYYYYY?

Ahhh the age old question we stopped asking back in 91′ when I used to race good un proper like.

For me, for me it’s a simple one. I don’t like the sensation of hair flapping in the breeze when riding. I get the feeling/sensation of hair flapping and capturing the cold air around it and cooling my legs down too much.
    That probably sounds stupid to some, but it makes a difference to me. If my legs are smooth I don’t feel the cold.

Oh, I’m not that hairy anyway, what I have is light brown/blonde. So even when I let it grow (Winter) theres not a great deal of it so you could say I’m vain.. I am and I know it. But really it’s the sensation of the air running over the hairs I don’t like.

Some will say it’s cleaner, washings easier, massages easier, the Wife/GF made me do it, the Team Doctor told me to, I just watched my Mum in the shower when I was 9 and have done the same since, my Mates said they wouldn’t ride with me unless I did yadda yadda ..

But I only think it really works or looks good if you ride Roadies/CX’ers or fast XC.. I wouldn’t bother if you ride anything that bounces.

HTH

😮

Sandwich

Staying hairy helps with nettle sting avoidance during the early summer.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

faster (according to Spesh), mud doesn’t stick to your legs, massage is easier and more comfortable, easier to clean wounds and less infection.

Well, if you fall off a lot that makes sense. While I don’t fall a lot, I realise that if you’re racing and you don’t crash once in a while you’re not really trying hard enough!

I guess it’s also a mindset thing then, you’re taking it very seriously at that point I guess and that will make you faster. Also if the though of hurrying back for a greasy rubdown with Frank Jane gets you round a loop faster then it may work on that level too 🙂

I am forever a chillout hippie-type and this concept is alien to me. My post/mid-ride relaxing massage is more of a mental one and does not make me faster. Well, IDK, never bothered timing anything, certainly makes me look at the dasies and bees and stuff. I digress…

I can post a photo of the pile of leg hair that i collected

Or, knit a tiny jumper out of it? TBH it would make the most sense if you make legwarmers out of it. Go on then, but only if the photo is of it placed on an unsuspecting person or animal.

But, whatever man, it’s your leg hair, you can do what you want with it. I guess my brief dabble with Skateboard Longboarding has left me permanently too chill for taking MTB seriously 😉

mrblobby
    Free Member

BUT WHYYYYYYYYYY?

Someone answered this a a few months ago on a similar thread. A one word answer too…

Intent

🙂

nickc

same as njee.

looks better in lycra.

However not having dried on mud clinging to your leg hair is nice as well.

zippykona

Really hairy legs in Lycra . You might as well ride in plimsolls and toe clips.

dudeofdoom

Hmmm must be great having lots of hair….I’m the least hairy bloke I know…

Yak

As per mrblobby – intent.
    Also, my legs naturally resemble chewbacca’s, so shaving is like taking an unnecessary extra pair of hair trousers off.

fasthaggis

Just use Veet,awesome stuff,it gets excellent reviews..

cloudnine
    Free Member

What about around the arse area?
    Seem to remember getting a sore arse in the hot weather last year but never go round to doing much about it..

What am i now intent on doing BTW??
    Should i be plotting to put my chav neighbour under the patio or just now riding faster?

Yak

Nah, leave the arse hairy. I done 2 week tours with a hairy arse with no problems.

Yak

Should i be plotting to put my chav neighbour under the patio

only if you reckon you can do it quicker than anyone else 😉

ninfan
    Free Member

Stops ticks and keds!

rondo101
    Free Member

I get a lot of tick bites & have hairy legs. Are the two related?

My wife, who usually rides with me, doesn’t have hairy legs & doesn’t tend to get ticks but she is usually behind me, meaning I’ve cleared the way of the little b*****ds before she comes through.

cloudnine
    Free Member

It might be easier for the ticks to grab onto the tangle of hair from you yetis.
    Smooth legs… nothing to hitch onto

TiRed

Veet shower cream is excellent for the first time. Epilation needs a suitcase of courage the first time but gets easier. Only up to the leg grippers.

dudeofdoom

Yep the Amazon vet reviews are class….

an ya gotta veet yer balls at least once in your life .,,

gavstorie
    Free Member

Tracey

Waxed every four weeks works well for me

zinaru
    Free Member

i shave and have done for years from feet to my ‘mid thigh’. use to race and always just made me feel my best on the bike. had some folk slagging this off but although i ride alone 99.9% of the time these days and don’t race anymore, i still feels like another essential part of bike prep to me.

mrs zinaru likes it as well…

peakyblinder
    Free Member

I’m just going to forget I opened this thread and never refer to it again.

shedbrewed
    Free Member

cloudnine – Member

Fake tan?

My pins are rather pale

I once grabbed and used a bottle of the GF’s Hawaiian Tropic sun lotion before setting out last summer. As I was riding along I thought; ‘my don’t my legs look bronzed and shiny?’
    When I got home it turns out the lotion had ‘shimmer flakes’ in.
    As does the Rapha Summer Embro

Shave once a week, normally Saturday night pre-Sunday race. Just part of the ritual. It does feel better when getting a massage and it does help legs staying cleaner CX racing.

bruneep

WHAT?

Are you a Gibbon?

rene59
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXw6znXPfy4[/video]

poah
    Free Member

gofasterstripes – Member

BUT WHYYYYYYYYYY?

XC and roadies are ghey that’s why

nickdavies

What about around the arse area?
    Seem to remember getting a sore arse in the hot weather last year but never go round to doing much about it..

What am i now intent on doing BTW??
    Should i be plotting to put my chav neighbour under the patio or just now riding faster?

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/anal-bleaching

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Do you shave / trim your leg hair?’ is closed to new replies.