Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 289 total)
  • Do you pay attention to who posts and replies on here?
  • chakaping
    Free Member

Teasel – I think most of the genuinely insightful contributions on here come from less-frequent posters having their say on something they have real knowledge of.

Perhaps these get overlooked because a lot of people are more interested in arguing than learning anything?

The forum does still seem to be a bit female-free. I don’t think it’s all Cougar’s fault though.

😉

Edit – That was in response to your first post above.

scotroutes

On this thread I was reasonably new to the forum but added my bit on the subject. A few posts later Cougar made almost the same point and suddenly the tag “Cougar wise old owl” pops up

I’ve had that happen on occasion. Post a response on page 1 and it’s ignored, then repeated a bit later and folk agree. I just assume that folk don’t read all responses (or maybe they have me killfiled!)

teasel
    Free Member

or maybe they have me killfiled

I just assume everyone has me Killfiled tbh 🙂

Perhaps these get overlooked because a lot of people are more interested in arguing than learning anything?

It does seem that way. Or winning; folk love to win on this forum.

tjagain

Interesting Teasel. I doubt I would have even noticed that. I certainly wouldn’t have cared. Thats not to invalidate your view as its real to you but its not the sort of thing that concerns me at all.

LadyGresley
    Free Member

I’ve got a mental image of everyone on here being between 5’9″ and 6ft, bearded and wearing knock-off oakleys. That’s including all the females

But I’m only 5′ 8″…

And of course women don’t come on here to argue. We don’t need to argue, we know we’re right…

teasel
    Free Member

Thats not to invalidate your view as its real to you but its not the sort of thing that concerns me at all.

Like I wrote, it didn’t at first other than an ooookay moment. It’s the way it’s continued for the last five years that’s made it a small issue – by that I mean I’m saddened – but I do have a tendency to be up for a laugh on this forum rather anything serious and take no interest in the political threads. Most of my posts consist of one-liners and pedantic puns for which I don’t really expect a response.

tjagain

I very much doubt the issue in the second post was influenced by how long they had been on here but by how the mods viewed the spat. One persons pisstake can be seen by others as a serious attack. Mods don’t always get it right

As an example and I hope Ton doesn’t mind this but when I first interacted with Ton on here I found him antagonistic and didn’t like him. His friends defended him but I stubbornly stuck to my view. However I did change my view of him completely over time and having met him in real life he is one of the good guys. I got him completely wrong.

sorry ton – Don’t hit me *cowers* 😉

The point being perceptions depend on your point of view. The mods might have seen Junkyard as taking the piss and you as being antagonistic. You might have seen junkyard as being antagonistic hence your differnt views on what is right in the response

Junkyard has history with some of the mods and IMO has been banned and warned unfairly – you presumably would see that differently

perchypanther
    Free Member

Most of my posts consist of one-liners and pedantic puns

A disgraceful way to conduct yourself on t’internet if you ask me. 😉

teasel
    Free Member

RE : Junkyard and me. We’ll just leave that one alone – it’s for the best just in case he shows up.

I mean, no one wants another bloody quote fest, do they…

Jamie
    Free Member

So in summary…

Hate it when I read halfway through a post before the penny drops. Should get that killfile extension up and running again really.

I’ve heard some modern forums, i.e all of them, have ignore functions baked right in! What a time to be alive!

teasel
    Free Member

🙂

tjagain

*sniggers* @ Jamie

jekkyl

what were you banned for for several years TJ? and how did you worm your way back in?
    did you still read the forum while banned pining to post?

molgrips
    Free Member

I often read threads backwards. So then I often don’t notice the usernames at all. Doesn’t help much tbh.

yunki
    Free Member

I’d be quite interested to know where I fit in..
    I imagine that I’m probably a ‘nasty’ poster as I quite often find myself logging on when I’m feeling grumpy and then gravitating towards a thread full of conflict just so that I can slag off someone with diametrically opposed views..

Should I seek help? 😳

jam-bo

NFNA

Jamie
    Free Member

I see you as a honey badger with a soft centre, Yunki.

Esme
    Free Member

teasel – Member
    On this thread I was reasonably new to the forum but added my bit on the subject. A few posts later Cougar made almost the same point and suddenly the tag “Cougar wise old owl” pops up. It was as if no one read my post, which in this instance is incredibly ironic given the subject on which I made comment.

It just would’ve been nice to be recognised for making the point and maybe it wouldn’t be an issue if it hadn’t happened on a number of occasions since.

Teasel, are you a woman, perhaps? 😉

tjagain

jekkyl – Member

what were you banned for for several years TJ? and how did you worm your way back in?
    did you still read the forum while banned pining to post?

I was banned for cumulatively pissing off too many folk ( short version). Apparently I was the most reported poster. I think if I had been in charge I might well have banned myself as well. An escalating situation over a period of time

I sneaked in undercover well disguised. Sort of stealth ninja move. I don’t think the mods have sussed so don’t tell please 😉

I read the forum a bit but surprisingly did not pine for posting – occasionally I would email folk if I really had something helpful worth saying to an issue they posted

Cougar

suddenly the tag “Cougar wise old owl” pops up.

Understandable. (-:

It just would’ve been nice to be recognised for making the point and maybe it wouldn’t be an issue if it hadn’t happened on a number of occasions since.

I find that a number of posters only read the first post and perhaps the last before commenting. I’ve lost count of the number of times I’ve said something only for someone else to make the exact same point three posts later (like I’ve just done with Scotroutes). It happens, I wouldn’t take it personally.

An example of Mod bias.

I had a run in with Junkyard. He received an email telling him to inform them when I “picked on him”. I received an email telling me I’d be banned if I continued to “engage with this user”.

A balanced response, I’m sure you’ll agree. Definitely not influenced buy how long both members have used the forum, for sure.

This was the “run-in” I think (minus a post of yours on the last page which was removed).

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/charlie-hebdo-at-it-again

I CBA wading through it all again, but I’m posting it here for people to make their own minds up. I can tell you this though: out of the entire team, the moderator who dealt with it is absolutely the last person I’d accuse of bias. (And JY has had more bans than I’ve had chip butties.)

yunki
    Free Member

NFNA? Is that an airport in Fiji?
    That definitely sounds like the sort of help that I need! 🙂

And I’ll happily accept the honey badger description Jamie
    Thanks 🙂

jam-bo

Normal for Newton Abbot.

yunki
    Free Member

😆

codybrennan
    Free Member

I don’t know if I really post enough to get any kind of character across. I identify with some other forum members and tend to lean in a bit when they post (eg, tjagain, when I discovered he was a nurse- as I was, until late 2000), and some others who I maybe found or think I’ve found I share common interests with.

I’ve only ever intentionally provoked anyone once, and that was a couple of weeks ago, when I just couldn’t resist reminding someone about a ‘riot’ post they’d made, but I agonised over doing it and felt guilty 🙁

I’d hopefully like to think I’m much the same here as I think I am in life, tbh; conflicted, essentially quite moderate, interested in the body and its failings, interested in tech and bikes, and trying to put things in a non-antagonistic way; difficult to do in text only.

There’s only one person in my killfile and its just because its clearly an attention-seeking persona that they created, as they would slip out of patois when stressed. I do tend to skim past one other poster these days as he’s far too unrealistic about the sunny uplands of our post-Brexit future and reminds me far too strongly of the guys in my wider team who’ve just had recent heavy sales training 🙂 but I sense I’d like him in real life.

Other than that, I tend to read most posts on threads I’m interested in.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Couldn’t resist.

HEY MODS!!! LOOK AT THIS!!!

tjagain – Member

I was banned for cumulatively pissing off too many folk ( short version). Apparently I was the most reported poster. I think if I had been in charge I might well have banned myself as well. An escalating situation over a period of time

I sneaked in undercover well disguised. Sort of stealth ninja move. I don’t think the mods have sussed so don’t tell please

jamj1974

Ok, maybe people are making more of this than I intended.

As for me, I file me under annoying. The same place as offline too!

teasel
    Free Member

That’s not the first run in with JY, Cougar, though it’s probably the one about which I was warned. The first run in set the tone TBH and I’ll sadly admit to feeling a little vengeful after being on the receiving end of his “teaching” method on a previous thread, which is, after all, the stance I initially take on the Hebdo thread.

But… it’s an interesting thread to highlight. Contained within is examples of someone rushing to defend one of their own, someone remembering a post or two from way back being accused of stalking and a post removed whereby I demonstrate my true tone by using merino in place of cotton. It’s the small details, y’see…

I mimicked his behaviour – he didn’t like it, unsurprisingly. To allow one user and not the other to behave in such a fashion is biased, whichever way you want to cut it.

I’m bored of messing with him now so warning or not it’s over. Despite claiming he wouldn’t modify his behaviour he actually has. I’m chuffed with that! Really; it’s a Good Thing.

molgrips
    Free Member

The thing is that some forum members know others personally. When you know someone in real life, it puts a completely different interpretation on their forum posts. Having spent a few hours and drunk a cup of tea or two with Junkyard, and not had a single quote related argument, I can understand his forum posts much better.

That might be why it appears heirarchical here. It’s not that peopel are favouring their mates, it’s just that they can’t help but understand their posts better. Most of us aren’t really arseholes after all. It’s just our writing style.

teasel
    Free Member

Firstly…

Having spent a few hours and drunk a cup of tea or two with Junkyard, and not had a single quote related argument

…LOL

Secondly, everyone has the opportunity to read and correct a post for 15 minutes. You can choose to be rude or condescending or humorous or a mix. You can offset hardened prose with a smiley but still get your point across. I demonstrate on that thread that anyone can be rude and condescending in order to “teach” someone about themselves. JY, at that point in time and no doubt others since, was rude and it’s a deliberation. With me in particular he edited a post to add a condescending comment. Pork Wah…?!!

There’s no need, regardless of whether or not you’re acquainted with that person. True respect is impartial.

Cougar

Pork Wah…?!!

Are you making him an escape goat?

Xylene
    Free Member

Would you drink tea strained through the sweaty gussett of a mods bib padding?

teasel
    Free Member

Nope

🙂

ton

no.

Harry_the_Spider

yes.

bugger.

ulysse
    Free Member

Oh, i really am an unashamedly unrelenting arsehole in real life too, Mol 😉

tjagain

I think you are misreading Junkyard. But then I too know him a bit in real life. I too can appear to be far more condescending and aggressive than I intend to be as he can and whilst I couldn’t be bothered to read that thread I would doubt he intended to be rude unless he thought you offensive first.

MY guess is its back to the perennial missed nuance in text based conversations – that and Junkyard does not use smilies to indicate he is not being serious.

rickmeister

Deleted.

teasel
    Free Member

Junkyard does not use smilies to indicate he is not being serious.

He does these days.

But in order to keep this from spilling onto even more pages, I’ll agree; it was my mistake.

Edit :

Would you drink tea strained through the sweaty gussett of a mods bib padding?

🙂 You are the Lee Van Cleef of the edit world. Harry got caught.

Jamie
    Free Member

Personally I think that…. [oh hells no! – MODS]

binners

Me and JY bicker just as much in real life as we do on here. We recently argued with each other all the way up Pendle Hill, and everyone else had to wait of us at the top. But then he’s worth it….

[url=https://flic.kr/p/mG91na]JY-L’oreal-advert[/url] by bin lid, on Flickr

😀

Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 289 total)

The topic ‘Do you pay attention to who posts and replies on here?’ is closed to new replies.