Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 289 total)
  • Do you pay attention to who posts and replies on here?
  • Edukator
    Free Member

But now I don’t think I would

Brexit thread, me too. Though you might be surprised to hear I’d happily meet Jamba as he remains civil despite differences.

In posts since my last post I’ve spotted:

A singing gnome who lives in a cherry wood.
    An oil man who worries about his daughter and lives in austere Scandinavian style accommodation that definitely isn’t Ikea.
    A lady who teaches kids to ride bikes in grim Manchester streets.
    A computer geek who should spend more time doing DIY or on his bike (if he has one) and less on this forum.
    A ******* ******* – that’s not an insult but I don’t want to upset him.
    An ageing cockney drummer

Strangely absent from this thread are:

The Salford ******** *********. (insults censored this time 😉 )
    The oldest unhealthiest spice girl in the south west. (she’ll report this thread now 😉 )
    A stealth T5 driving chippie with a love of the outdoors and a disregard for German law.
    A punk who is now an unreasonably reasonable family man
    A city trader (or something like that) who hates TJ
    A music lover from Bristol

Some forum users here I’ve “known” online for over a decade. As alluded to with Nick, they’ve gone through many changes in their lives. It’s like watching a soap as people have ups and downs. Some people do well, others get by and I’d love to see them do better, others are slow-motion car crash stuff. We’ve even lost a few good people for good.

jamj1974

I have a very good idea of who I generally agree with!

funkmasterp

Most threads seem to consist of posts from a small(ish) group of people so you begin to recognise different people quite quickly in my opinion. I’ve not met anybody (that I’m aware of) from here, but the majority seem reasonable judging by internet personas alone. Even the angriest and most argumentative / antagonistic seem to have empathy when somebody posts up a serious thread.

Edukator
    Free Member

If I ever agree with zulu-eleven/Ninfan I give myself a slap.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Cougar – Moderator 
    I’ve an appalling memory though, it always amazes me when someone pulls me up on something I said or did two years ago.

Ditto. I’m bad enough with real names. Forum names are just a blur to me. I can be talking about something and refer to a guy I know and suddenly I realise he’s actually that guy. Chances are I’ve not even noticed or I’ve offended people I know as friends 😀

Who says what though, I try not to get wound up by stuff because either they’re talking bollocks or I don’t agree with their viewpoint or they don’t agree with my bollocks talking 😀 . It’s just a forum.

In that way the forum is good in that it’s easy to gloss over the names.

DrJ

Edukator – you’re scaring me!!

tjagain

Brexit thread, me too. Though you might be surprised to hear I’d happily meet Jamba as he remains civil despite differences.

Indeed. I said this earlier. He has been much more civil that I have but has not risen at all.

tjagain

I have met them both in real life at the same time. Neither was anything like I thought they would be.

But then who would think I was a meek empathic person?

As others have alluded to the way when someone needs help or support that the forum rallies round and even those you disagree with on almost anything become helpful and supportive is quite astonishing.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

even those you disagree with on almost anything become helpful and supportive is quite astonishing.

Shut it, you old fart!

😀

Jamie
    Free Member

Look like Edukator has been compiling a dossier.

ton

how does he know all that stuff?

chiefgrooveguru

Some of us can’t help it – it just all goes in and most of it stays there! I wonder if your lives filling up my brain is why I can rarely remember why I went upstairs or what I’m doing tomorrow?

RobHilton
    Free Member

He’s got a memory 🙂

I know plenty about people on here based on their witterings over the years, but haven’t (knowingly) met many.

For the OP; I do pay attention – helps me believe whether the poster knows what they’re on about or is just going with opinion/hearsay.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Ton, “How?” isn’t the correct question here. The correct question is, “Why?”.

tjagain

One thing I do find interesting – most of the lefties we have a fir idea of what they do and where they live. Most of the righties we don’t.

ton

i had a memory once. it was in the 80’s, infact all i can remember is the 80’s. 1990 to 2010 are a weird mishmash of jumbled thoughts and flashbacks. and i never did any drugs. 😐

RobHilton
    Free Member

I can’t renember the 80s for the exact opposite reason 😆

Edukator
    Free Member

How much did you pay to get rid of the “freeloader” tag, Jamie? Do you really not remember anything about the people who post here?

I’ve posted:

My first name
    The town I live in and the resort I ski in
    Photos of the pool I swim in and how far it is from my house
    Photos of my house, garden, under the floor, the living room, two bedrooms, me, Madame, junior
    Videos of me skiing and making a fool of myself with a guitar
    Jobs I’ve done
    Places I’ve lived and worked
    and much,much more
    Details of sports I’ve participated in
    Other forums I’ve posted on

And to you I’m still so anonymous you couldn’t put together a one-line description of what I am to you. No, I don’t have files on anyone, I can remember enough to make people more interesting than just a pseudo. Different things stick for different people, sometimes it’s a photo they post or a video – my visual memory works better than words. Sometimes it’s an event in their life they mention on here. Some people are friendly, others hostile, but a good adversary is still likeable.

So in answer to the original OP question, yes, it matters who posts what to me.

bearnecessities
    Free Member

How much did you pay to get rid of the “freeloader” tag, Jamie?

Jealous?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

I am always amazed at how many people I meet actually riding have never heard of STW. Doesn’t stop me trying to imagine what someone’s user name might be just from seeing them in the flesh. I forget that 90% of us don’t actually ride 😉

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Envious?

bearnecessities
    Free Member

Fabulous?

ton

most of the regular folk on here have been on a long time. i think long term posters know a fair bit about each other. things like knowing how to wind folk up, or who likes certain bike brands, or indeed dislikes certain bike brands.
    who likes real ale, and who to ask about advice on various specific things.

Edukator
    Free Member

I can remember Jamie getting the freeloader tag and it was another example **** being a ****… . Does it make me a bad person remembering stuff like that? If I read the comments on Daily M*** articles the people are just fools to be laughed at. The people on STW have personalities and because I know vaguely who/what they are I take more interest in what they have to say and rarely laugh unless they’re joking.

jam-bo

An ex-STW poster now works in my office. I keep having to remind myself to use his real name.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Mrs Fry?

ton

Edukator, you seem fine to me mate.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

I tend to have a swirl of names which I recognise, many with a reputation for a political view. However, I sometimes get folks mixed up and sometimes I don’t, but the poster surprises.me with an out of character post. I’ve also been here long enough to see that a few folks seem to have changed their attitudes, some for the better, some for the not better.

I also know a few folks with whom I have had arguments and some can leave this in the thread, others carry it across threads.

Edukator
    Free Member

Ta, Ton.

A quiz – the name of the poster who flashes into your head:

Passat
    Photos of people in the street.
    Firewood
    Driving God
    Bus mechanics
    Femdom client
    MTB tuition
    prison
    Frog
    computer games
    Unusual frame building

Jamie
    Free Member

Until you mentioned it, I didn’t know it had gone.

So unless STW Towers have nicked the money out of my wallet, I guess the answer is nowt.

Passat – Molgrips
    Photos of people in the street. – Molgrips
    Firewood – McMoonter
    Driving God – All of us
    Bus mechanics – Graham something?
    Femdom client – Molgrips
    MTB tuition – Oh…whatisface. Really nice guy built loads of northshore.
    prison – Something gruntfuttock?
    Frog – Molgrips
    computer games – I know this….raceface something
    Unusual frame building – Goddamit….I know this as well…but memory is not working

I know most of those, but just cannot recall names. I also misremember most names. I still think it’s Chapaking.

scotroutes

Edukator – Reformed Troll
    Do you really not remember anything about the people who post here?
    I’ve posted:
    My first name
    The town I live in and the resort I ski in
    Photos of the pool I swim in and how far it is from my house
    Photos of my house, garden, under the floor, the living room, two bedrooms, me, Madame, junior
    Videos of me skiing and making a fool of myself with a guitar
    Jobs I’ve done
    Places I’ve lived and worked
    and much,much more
    Details of sports I’ve participated in
    Other forums I’ve posted on

You might have posted all that but maybe no one’s reading it. Take the hint?

adjustablewench
    Free Member

I think you know who recognises you and responds to posts with some knowledge based on previous posts.

But whether someone has a vague idea about who you are or not does it matter? I think the sense of slight anonymity on here, allows things to be voiced that you wouldn’t necessarily voice elsewhere.

I do get an idea about many of the ‘big hitters’ on here but without reading every post and having a phenomenal memory how could you remember all the details?

teasel
    Free Member

I also know a few folks with whom I have had arguments and some can leave this in the thread, others carry it across threads.

TBH I think you can come across as really quite nasty a lot of the time. Whether or not you’re aware of doing it is beyond me but I can understand why some of your targets would hold a grudge. There is one or two other users that can be just as nasty – it’s totally unnecessary and usually a disproportionate reaction.

Not looking for an argument, BTW, just clearing up that little mystery…

duckman

jam bo – Member

An ex-STW poster now works in my office. I keep having to remind myself to use his real name.

This lots..At the end of the day there is a common denominator;bikes. But I increasingly ignore some threads because I already know how it is going.

mrlugz
    Free Member

I have a look in most weekdays, but only a few posters stick in my mind.

Think Ive only ever met 3.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

TBH I think you can come across as really quite nasty a lot of the time.

That, I really do find quite surprising. In fact I would have said the opposite was true. I think I draw some quite nasty personal comments from.some people but can’t really think of occasion where I respond in kind.

jekkyl

okay next quiz.

1. lives in Leeds, has an allotment.
    2. lives in derbyshire, is a building foreman or summit.
    3. has special shoes, never seems to be at work.
    4. lives in the far east, posts ‘interesting’ threads and posts, pisses in sinks.
    5. is 8 foot tall, lives near wakefield, is occasionally racist and prone to suggesting fists as a means to an end but trys to keep it under wraps as it’s not very popular point of view on here coz we’re all middle class lefties.
    6. lives in Kendal, blows everyone else away with his pics on the weekend plans threads.
    7. posts on virtually every thread, knows EVERYTHING. usually gets called out.
    8. believes in god and the supernatural, also likes to argue.
    9. rides a fatbikes exclusively round Cannock, doesn’t do Strava, oh no!
    10. also rides a fatbike but rides other places in the south midlands as well as Cannock, has a beard and has his handle on his bike.
    11. lives in jockland, is usually a grumpy soab but is useful for tech help. lol.
    12. is a music guru, or likes to think he is 😉
    13. lives in Jockland and has a soul26, like me!
    14. lives in Edinburgh, is a voice of reason and friendliness. Never a bad word about anyone and posts lots of useful info and jokes, should be a mod.

DrJ

TBH I think you can come across as really quite nasty a lot of the time. Whether or not you’re aware of doing it is beyond me but I can understand why some of your targets would hold a grudge. There is one or two other users that can be just as nasty – it’s totally unnecessary and usually a disproportionate reaction.

Just as a general observation, I think it’s easy to come across as nasty in a brief piece of text, where no particular offence was intended. I’ve noticed that here as well as in real life. No doubt I am as guilty as the next person.

4130s0ul
    Free Member

“But I increasingly ignore some threads because I already know how it is going”

Or what I refer to as car-crash threads. You know the shit is going to hit the fan within the first page and you don’t want to be a part of it even if you have a valid point to raise…but you can’t help but take an occasional peek.

I think I do take note of who says what on a thread and it has helped provide a picture of who that person is. but it’s a general perception that is always open to change.

for all that we disagree on, for all the opinions we share, when someone is in need and is brave enough to post on STW we all seem to come together and for me this is a big part of me coming back (each and every bl**dy day, you lot are like crack!)

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Just as a general observation, I think it’s easy to come across as nasty in a brief piece of text

Shut up, tw@

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 289 total)

The topic ‘Do you pay attention to who posts and replies on here?’ is closed to new replies.