Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)
  • Do you have to like your family?
  • muddydwarf
    Free Member

I have a sister whom I haven’t spoken to for twenty years or more, she made my life a misery when we were growing up & is pretty unpleasant to be around. Both my (divorced) parents have pretty much given up on her due to aggressive and demanding behaviour.
    She has 5 children and has used them as weapons against both my parents and her (deceased) partner’s mother.
    She drove her partner into drinking himself to death (or so I believe) and then told my father it was his fault and that the grandchildren hated him for it. She’s done similarly nasty things to my mother as well.

TBH I haven’t got the energy to deal with her but as I get older I do wonder if I should offer an olive branch, after all I’ll have to deal with her at some point as our parents aren’t getting any younger.

neilwheel
    Free Member

It sounds like she will only use the branch to whip you a bit more.

boxelder

You should still offer it. But you know that already. Try to be a positive influence on her kids?

br
    Free Member

My Nan always use to say “you can choose your friends, but not your family”.

I’ve barely spoken with my brother in 30 years, no hatred just we never got on and have nothing in common (plus once we hit adulthood, never lived anywhere near each other).

muddydwarf
    Free Member

I don’t know her kids, they are adults now, last time I saw them they were toddlers. Doubt they will have any interest in me which is fair enough as I don’t have much interest in them – complete strangers to me.

BoardinBob

I made a conscious decision to cut my mother and sister out of my life a couple of years ago. Haven’t regretted it once. Genuinely horrible people.

fin25
    Free Member

Be nice, get yourself nicely ingratiated and integrated into her life…then hoof her in the slats!

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

No you don’t have to like your family, but in the case of toxic relatives, you must retain control of contact.

My mother is a nightmare. She’s not evil, just damaged and selfish. I do choose to have contact with her and it’s mostly all good. But as soon as she starts, I just get up and politely take my leave.

Sometimes she’ll let me down or get to me, and it’ll be because I’ll have forgotten to never expect anything of her.

But if your sister is such a horror, why chase her? Has she been in contact with you? If not, I’d examine carefully why you want a relationship with her and what you’re expecting from her. Because be careful – she’ll probably not give you whatever you’re hoping for.

RobHilton
    Free Member

Wouldn’t bother; if she’s been a bitch all her life she won’t stop now. Why give her the opportunity to be a bitch to you when you don’t have to?

Junkyard
    Free Member

You do not ave to like your family nor have any contact with them.

Your Life will not be enhanced by this decision but it may be the better of two bad choices. I speak from experience on this and I chose no contact.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Unfortunately – and I’m not proud of this – we came to blows more than once as teenagers, she once attacked me with a carving knife!

martymac

Tbh, I wouldn’t bother.
    No harm in being civil, but I wouldn’t give anyone the opportunity to take the piss out of me.
    I haven’t spoken to my sister for 30 years, and we’ve never fallen out, we just dont have anything to say to each other.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

She’s not been in touch, suppose I’m just wondering ‘what if’ and thinking that twenty years have been wasted, and that life is brief.
    HebdenCyclist makes a very good point, I’m not sure what I would expect from her tbh – maybe just to appease my dad who’s hurt by it all.

spekkie
    Free Member

There’s no reason to force yourself to like a family member any more than you’d force yourself to like a work colleague or neighbour.

I have family I’m very close to and family I’m not. Love my son and we’re very close, not much time for my mum and my dad and sister I can take or leave.

Personally I find the whole ‘unconditional love’ thing very stupid. Mrs Spekkie used to disagree but after the last few years of being treated badly by her family she’s coming around.

Mutual respect is important.

jambalaya
    Free Member

No you do not have to be in contact. No you do not have to have more to do with her as your parents get older. If you are worried about that have them grant you sole power of attorney over their affairs to the extent they are no longer able to manage them. If they haven’t done already have them draw up a will leaving anything as they wish (not suggesting anything in particular, 50/50) and naming you as executor. Then thats all sorted.

Life is too short to deal with bad people family included. If there is any “olive branch” to be offered it needs to come from her, I am sure you are not holding your breath however

metalheart
    Free Member

I have a(n elder) brother that I’m not in contact with. He lives abroad, has done the last ten years or more

If he happens to turn up at my parents and I happen to be round we speak. He’s hard work though.nothing otherwise.

I get on fine with my other siblings who I’m in regular contact and meet up with/visit. They are on contact with the other brother. He was over with his new partner. He contact my patents and siblings but not me.

I was more relieved than anything if I’m honest.

So ,no, you don’t, not if you don’t want to.

I do love my nieces though (I can’t work out how they can be related to their parents mind!).

bruneep

Don’t know how to contact my sister if I needed to. TBH I don’t really want to..ever

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

I’m not sure what I would expect from her tbh – maybe just to appease my dad who’s hurt by it all

Don’t be guilt-tripped into putting up with / accepting The Family Shit. Sorry but I expect that if your Dad was so concerned about yours and your sister’s relationship then he could have / should have done something about it decades ago. It’s not on you.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

I last saw her about a year ago in a shopping centre car park, she was glaring at me no doubt expecting me to speak, I found I had nothing to say so simply walked on past her, to the accompaniment of some sarky comments.
    The time before that was about ten yrs ago, sat in the pub with friends when she walked in with her partner. Said partner stomped over and demanded I go talk to her, I refused as I really don’t like having things demanded of me like that.
    That sort of behaviour is typical of her, she demands that everyone run to her rather than she reach out.

Hmm, maybe an olive branch isn’t a good idea.

wallop

There’s no point in making amends just to assuage guilt, but equally isn’t walking by a bit lame or rude?

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

isn’t walking by a bit lame or rude?

Hmmm I know what you mean, but reread the first post about her behaviour when they were younger. Whilst I’m sure she will have a different perspective on it, the OP’s recollections, experiences and feelings about it are valid. He owes her nothing. He is entitled to protect himself by not engaging with her. He is entitled to his desire not to have her in his life.

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

I think it does bother you and somewhere deep down you care for her -you wouldn’t have written this post otherwise.

If the only contact you have is to say I love you then so be it…you have a clear conscious.

It must be draining to have anger and resentment to those you are supposed to love.

shermer75
    Free Member

Is your father still in contact? What’s his opinion? The only reason that you’ve given to make contact with her that resonated with me was that it is upsetting your dad, so I’d talk to him and start my decision making process there.

stewartc
    Free Member

I have not spoken to my own father in some 18 years now, sometimes you do have to make the choice to move on and that it is better for you to not get involved with certain people again if possible. Judging by your description of your sister I would imagine that she would not want to play any part in helping your parents meaning you take on more of a burden but it may also mean that this is at least not made worse with her involvement.
    As an aside, and very similar to Metalheart, I have a sister who I have no contact with at all bar the odd visit back to the UK, we get on but we have no emotional bond at all.
    Its good to forgive and forget, but not to the detriment of yourself or those you hold dear as they will ultimately also be affected.

oldmanmtb
    Free Member

My mother was a serious piece of work-miserable nasty and vindictive she has passed away – my Dad has been retired 20 years (sat on his arse all that time) I can safely say I have done more for my Dad in the last year that he has done for me in over 50 years, they have treat me like shit all my life but I still get hospital shopping and sort his life out

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

I think it does bother you and somewhere deep down you care for her

I think you might have something there, but…

If the only contact you have is to say I love you then so be it…you have a clear consc[ience].

It must be draining to have anger and resentment to those you are supposed to love.

With respect I couldn’t disagree more strongly. You are not “supposed to love” anybody other than (IMHO) your children.

This woman made the OP’s life a misery. It will do him no good to ring her and tell her he loves her.

Children of abusive families sometimes think that if they only had the skill or the will to “fix” people or relationships then everything would be alright. But people cannot be fixed. Relationships with toxic people cannot be fixed, unless the toxic person takes on the responsibility.

oldmanmtb
    Free Member

I agree that the only unconditional love is for your children

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I do wonder if I should offer an olive branch

Yes imo. Forgiveness is hugely liberating. If it’s rejected then the blame won’t be yours.

In answer to your question “Do you have to like your family?” yes imo, unless of course they are serious criminals such as pedophiles, murders, children/wife beaters, etc.

They are not like a work colleague or some geezer down the pub.

CountZero

TBH I haven’t got the energy to deal with her but as I get older I do wonder if I should offer an olive branch, after all I’ll have to deal with her at some point as our parents aren’t getting any younger.

Olive wood makes good axe handles.

Both my (divorced) parents have pretty much given up on her due to aggressive and demanding behaviour

In which case I’d cut her out of my life completely, and not even bother inviting her to any future funerals.
    I’m sure ernie might have something to say about that being harsh, but life is, indeed, far too short to make your own life miserable through having to deal with someone who did it when you were younger, and who never seems to have grown out of being a self-centred, vindictive bitch.
    And any written communication would be returned unopened, and phone numbers blocked.
    Fortunately I don’t have to deal with that kind of shit in my family, but my reaction would be as I’ve just posted should such a situation ever have arisen.

aracer
    Free Member

A slightly different perspective here – got on fine with my sister when we were kids, no more than the normal fighting, and then (I thought) we were getting along pretty well as adults. We regularly met up and I gave her away at her wedding! Until about 5 years ago, when she decided she didn’t want any more to do with me – I agree that some of my behaviour towards her wasn’t good and she did have a point, but I’d argue she gave at least as good as she got and I put up with her. Though some of the things she now claims are either lies or with a seriously distorted perspective – apparently her friends confirmed that I was an arse when fed with one side of the story.

Then a couple of years after we had to sort my mum out, so ended up spending time together again – I thought maybe it would work out. Until she blew up at me on the phone for a fairly minor “mistake” I’d made (I’d suggest that I did nothing wrong, but that’s neither here nor there). Of course I compounded that by telling her I didn’t think I’d done anything wrong, which led to her telling me to “**** off” – so I did, I put the phone down, and went out and did what I’d just been heading out the door to do. Came back to an abusive answer phone message telling me she’d never speak to me again if I didn’t pick up (I presume she hadn’t worked out I’d actually gone out and then been to pick the kids up from school). That was the start – there was more which I never listened to. We have been in touch since as we’ve had to sort out more of mum’s stuff, but I don’t want to speak to her on the phone as I expect she’ll just rant at me and get angry, which I really don’t need – it seems she hasn’t worked out either that telling me I’m rubbish isn’t terribly helpful (I’ve had depression since before she disowned me – some support might have been nice).

I’d like to have back the sister who I used to have up to 5 years ago (yes she got angry with me then as well, but not in an abusive way). Not really sure I want to have any contact with somebody who’s just going to shout at me. Not sure what I did that was so wrong to deserve that – I don’t think she is evil, it’s just that she gets angry easily and I cop it.

…meanwhile on another forum somewhere somebody is complaining about their horrible brother they can’t bear to speak to who just makes them angry.

kudos100
    Free Member

Cut my Dad out of my life about 5 years ago.

If it had been anyone other than my immediate family I would have done it 15 years ago………….

My life is better as a result, as he is a black hole of misery, blame, control and manipulation.

Best thing he could have done is left and never came back when I was a child. Sadly he chose to ruin my life and make my mothers a mess for a long time.

If you have a father who has sociopathic tendencies then no, you don’t have to like them.

ski
    Free Member

Why waste your time on a negative person in your life, I am guessing that you have a list of friends that you would like to meet and spend more time with?

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Cheers everyone.
    I don’t have any form of relationship with her, we are completely cut off from each other. I don’t know her address or phone number.
    My dad doesn’t speak about her much, we went to her former partners funeral, but i chose not to go to the wake as i knew what would happen and that’s not the place for a scene.
    My dad chose to go, the grandkids ignored him and my sister shouted at him in public that the death of the kids father was all the fault of my dad. I came home to an answerphone message saying “your sister is an evil bitch and i never want to speak to her again “. He was crying.
    Of course, he does talk but keeps her at arms length.
    I suppose i just feel i should do more to solve the impasse but i fear i know exactly how it will pan out.

Kryton57

I’ve been thinking of starting a thread like this for ages. I’ve thought about it for a long time with regard to my own circumstances and my answer to the OP is no – get on with your own life and family and bee happy, Treat his kids kindly they are not the issues.

I was brought up in a house full of arguments, worked early for my own stuff (paper round at 12 etc) and watch my parents dote on my brother. I saved for a new bikes, he got one for Christmas. I looked to join REME, he as it was explained got the inheritance to go to Uni. In the last few years he messily divorced and left his 3 kids over another woman, treating his then wife and kids – man kids cousins – badly. All this was supported by my parents who say “it’s best for him”. My decision to stop speaking to them all came when I found out 2nd hand he got re-married last year, AND celebrated a 40th both of which we weren’t invited. Personally I’ve had enough, let the lot of them have a happy time amongst thier selfish selves, while I crack on and enjoys the life I have with my kids who they do nothing more than send the odd birthday card.. As per above, we still see my ex sister in law whom we have a good relationship with so all the cousins can catch up, usually 4-5 times a year.

Life is too short, and I’m getting too old to make the effort.

LeeW

Whilst you don’t have to like your family, loving them is quite a different thing. You obviously do still love her or you wouldn’t be asking the question.

mikertroid
    Free Member

I’ve had to walk away from my Mother and Brother due to their unreasonable behaviour towards me and my family over many years.

Sad but life is too short to deal with people who you don’t trust and offer you nothing but abuse.

g5604
    Free Member

This thread is sad.

martinhutch

One of the best things you can do for your dad is contained in Jamba’s post earlier on. Make sure the arrangements for his care (Power of Attorney) are set in stone so that you don’t end up battling her in front of him if he needs his affairs managed later on.

It’s a sign of a caring person that you are prepared to consider attempting to salvage your relationship with your sister, particularly as you are doing it for your dad’s sake mainly. But from what you’ve said, I can’t see anything really positive coming out of it.

the-muffin-man

I’ve not seen my brother in 7 years now and I can’t see me seeing him again, and my wife hasn’t seen one of her sisters in a similar length of time.

One thing that does cause me issues though is my relationship with my mum and dad. At heart they are really good people, they are great with my daughter and help us a lot.

But there are issues from the past which I don’t seem to be able to get over – when I was 10 or so my dad had an affair with my auntie and as you can imagine this caused a lot of disruption at the time. And I’m sure he had an affair later on too when I was around 18, but I can’t prove this.

Another issue with them is money – they’ve had tons of money go through their hands over the years and really lived it up in the 70s, 80s and 90s. But there was never any provision for later life. My mum was always consumed with image and when the money started drying up she couldn’t be seen to have fallen from her perch. So debts racked up on cards and mortgages. They are now well into their 70s still with a mortgage and relying on pension credits and such like.

And when they talk about money now I really want to blow-up at them, but suppress this as I can’t see what good it will do.

They’ll die in debt, and there will be nothing left when it’s all sold. I just keep thinking how good and easy things could have been for them if they’d just reigned things in.

BillMC

Lots of narcissistic traits being described here. It’s really worthwhile finding out about this personality disorder (NPD) to put into context these people’s awful and incurable behaviour. Stay well clear, only bad things can come from such individuals.
    Engels argued that the family is a bourgeois construct for the control and transfer of capital, ‘the world historic defeat of the female sex’. Liberate yourself from all that, lovers and friends and fun are much more important. And these are precisely the areas that the narcissist cannot embrace themselves and therefore seek to destroy in others.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘Do you have to like your family?’ is closed to new replies.