Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Do you have to have a 3g phone for the 3 network?
  • ericemel
    Free Member

I want to use a Nokia 5310 which is a non 3g phone on the 3 network, does anyone know if I can do this?

Cheers

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

no, apparently it can even lose you your phone number!

my second hand sony k800i seems to be built like old nokia’s and wont die! Was quite tempted to go for one of the cheep contracts as they come with internet access and built in GPS on some of the phones which would be good for google mapas/sport tracker etc.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Absolutely no reason why you can’t use any phone on any network – just stick in the SIM card and go. The network does not care, and does not know what you actual device is.

Any 3g phone will work on any network, 3g or not, and any 2g phone will work on a 3g network, but obviously only gives 2g (GSM) functionality

badblood
    Free Member

you may need to get the phone unlocked as certain networks lock the phone to the network. Should only cost bout a tenner.

joemarshall
    Free Member

Absolutely no reason why you can’t use any phone on any network – just stick in the SIM card and go. The network does not care, and does not know what you actual device is.

Any 3g phone will work on any network, 3g or not, and any 2g phone will work on a 3g network, but obviously only gives 2g (GSM) functionality

No it won’t. Not on Three. If you use a 2g phone on 3, after a couple of weeks it will get disabled.

The reason for this is because they pay Orange to run their 2g network. Every call you make over it costs them much more than 3g calls (which run on their own network).

It will seem to work, but then after a couple of weeks your sim will be disabled until you buy a new phone to put it in.

Joe

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Do you have to have a 3g phone for the 3 network?’ is closed to new replies.