Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)
  • Do other athletes work as hard as cyclists?
  • geetee1972
    Free Member

Seeing the articles about the Olympic parade and how athletes are starting to arrive for it and I chuckled to myself that this would be all except the cycling squad, who were still busy working.

But it’s a serious point. Look at Chris Froome; TDF, Olympics, Vuelta, then off to the World Champs. Wiggins, Paris Nice, Tour du Romandie, Criterium Du Dauphine, TDF, Olympics, Tour of Britain then off to the Worlds next week.

They all work incredibly hard. Do other sports just spend their spare time training a lot or do they have competitive schedules like the pro-peleton?

alex222
    Free Member

Do other athletes work as hard as cyclists?

No other sport has as long a competitive season except maybe tennis. Though if you lose at a grand slam in the first round you don’t have to keep competing.

djglover
    Free Member

Hidding in the pack all day =/= working hard. No other sport offers this advantage.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Hidding in the pack all day =/= working hard. No other sport offers this advantage.

Have you tried riding behind someone else at 45kph? It’s easier than being on the front but it’s not like it’s a walk in the park!

franksinatra

They do compete an awful lot. Worth remeber though that for most, it is relatively low impact. By that I mean that cyclists are not really prone to injury through repitive impact as is the case in ma

MSP

Yes of course they do, to get to the top in virtually every sport means pushing the body to the limit of its capability. In fact the hardest thing for most of them is treading the line between taking the maximum benefit from how hard they push themselves without going into causing damage.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

The mechanics of cycling enable riders to participate for 4+ hours day after day, something that just would not be possible with other sports which take a greater toll on the body.

zilog6128

to get to the top in virtually every sport means pushing the body to the limit of its capability.

Really? It seemed to me there were a lot of (nonsense) sports at the Olympics where this was not the case. Volleyball, shotput, discus, shooting/archery, etc – yes they require skill but do they really push the human body to it’s limit?

somafunk

Had an argument in the pub a few weekends ago wi the usual football bores bout this subject, well i say i had an argument but in reality i merely mentioned once in a bar wide discussion that top level cyclists are heads and shoulders above wendyballers when it comes to fitness and vo2 rates/sustainable effort/recovery etc and their response was to call me a **** poof and ask if i was gay for watching men in lycra ride bikes, then they tried to say that footballers must be fitter coz they have to play two or three times a week. Needless to say i declined to argue back as i doubt there is any sense in arguing wi folk who really should have been neutered from birth.

druidh
    Free Member

druidh
    Free Member

Seeing the articles about the Olympic parade and how athletes are starting to arrive for it and I chuckled to myself that this would be all except the cycling squad, who were still busy working.
    But it’s a serious point. Look at Chris Froome; TDF, Olympics, Vuelta, then off to the World Champs. Wiggins, Paris Nice, Tour du Romandie, Criterium Du Dauphine, TDF, Olympics, Tour of Britain then off to the Worlds next week.
    They all work incredibly hard. Do other sports just spend their spare time training a lot or do they have competitive schedules like the pro-peleton?

Looks like the other posters have completely missed the OPs point.

Andy Murray missed the closing ceremony as he had to fly to Canada for a tournament and is currently attempting to win the US Open. The footballers will currently be engaged in normal squad duties. I’m sure there are other examples of athletes who are still participating in other events.

MSP

Volleyball, shotput, discus, shooting/archery, etc – yes they require skill but do they really push the human body to it’s limit?

Shotput and discus have much higher injury rates than cycling, they put a hell of a lot of explosive power through the shoulder and arm joints and walk a tightrope of maximising power and breaking the body far more than the act of cycling.

MrSmith
    Free Member

i laugh when footballers get cramp after 90mins. if their training was good enough it wouldn’t be an issue, cramp doesn’t effect pro cyclists that much because they are used to pushing hard for 3-6hrs at a time and train accordingly.

zilog6128

Shotput and discus have much higher injury rates than cycling, they put a hell of a lot of explosive power through the shoulder and arm joints and walk a tightrope of maximising power and breaking the body far more than the act of cycling.

Of course, and they certainly have a place in multi-events like decathlon, pentathlon, but (to bring the thread back on topic) to suggest they work anywhere near as hard as pro road riders (or even other track/field athletes like sprinters, distance runners, etc) is ludicrous! (And what about the “sports” like volleyball, shooting, etc?)

djglover
    Free Member

Road biking = easy and boring, no wonder you can do it day in day out

warton
    Free Member

I laugh when footballers get cramp after 90mins

Totally agree, for example tennis players amaze me with their fitness levels. to work like they do, for up to 4 hours is insane IMO

njee20
    Free Member

i laugh when footballers get cramp after 90mins. if their training was good enough it wouldn’t be an issue, cramp doesn’t effect pro cyclists that much because they are used to pushing hard for 3-6hrs at a time and train accordingly.

Whilst not defending them per se, getting cramp within 90 minutes is totally possible, irrespective of training. An XC race is barely any longer and they have the opportunity to drink several litres of fluid in that time.

That’s a stupid comparison.

manton69

Isn’t this the argument that started triathlons all those years ago?

Mackem

Thing about football is that it doesnt just require fitness, it needs skill too, you can be the fittest person on the planet but still be crap at football. Conversely, you can be not quite fit but still make it as a pro footballer. Different sports have different requirements, daft to try and compare based solely on fitness.

atlaz
    Free Member

Do other sports just spend their spare time training a lot or do they have competitive schedules like the pro-peleton?

Whether you consider the players athletic or not, baseball I think probably has possibly the biggest schedule. 190 days of regular season play, 168 games. If you make it into the post-season there could be another 10-15 games over a month. Before the season starts there’s a month and a bit of training camp and practice games with other teams. By my count, an every-day baseball player could be playing from February to the end of October playing over 200 games if it all works out. It’s not as high impact as a lot of sports but it does seem like a hell of a schedule for a player.

MSP

Working for a long time is not the same as working hard.

As for football, it is the most popular sport in the world, if they were all just lazy slackers, there would be a million people lining up to take the place of any and every player who doesn’t do everything to be in peak shape.

mt
    Free Member

Does that mean you have an idea for an event that includes cycling, football and the shotput?

MrSmith
    Free Member

That’s a stupid comparison.

not really it’s 45 minutes of activity (not all of that is moving) and the opportunity to take on fluids before and usually during if theres a stoppage or you are near the goal or touchline. and at half time and then before and at half way of extra time.

training can and should allow you to condition yourself to not get cramp towards the end of a game of football. fair enough when the temperatures/humidity are very high as in the summer tournements but not in conditions you are used to.

mickyfinn
    Free Member

Mackem – Member
    Thing about football is that it doesnt just require fitness, it needs skill too, you can be the fittest person on the planet but still be crap at football. Conversely, you can be not quite fit but still make it as a pro footballer. Different sports have different requirements, daft to try and compare based solely on fitness.

That explains why were so shite at it then..

Back to the OP’s question, of course they do. To even hint that someone could come to the top of the elite of their sport without putting a huge amount of training hours shows a lack of understanding of how hard they work. OK they don’t have the grand Tours to participate in but they will still be training 4-6 hours a day every day.

lunge

Interesting debate this.

The nature of cycling is a long season and continuous hours/days in the saddle. Therefor the top performers in the sport will spend long hours in the saddle, days on end. However, it is relatively low impact so injuries are less common.

Shot putt is arguably the polar opposite, they need no strength endurance so don’t train for it. What they do need is to be able to put a huge force through the shot in a split second. To do this they need explosive power, speed and perfectly honed technique, this is what they will spend their time worked on. However, impact sports need to incorporate more rest into their programmes hence them perhaps appearing to have more spare time. The 100m is a similar event in terms of training in that it is all short, fast and intense.

Football is somewhere in the middle in that they work at a high intensity for 90 minutes and rarely more. So no, they are not as great endurance athletes as cyclists or as powerful as shot putter. But they are still very, very fit. The reason they will cramp towards the end of the game is they train for 90 minutes, any time on top of this somewhat confuses their body.

It is important remember that those who train/compete for the longest don’t necessarily work the hardest.

njee20
    Free Member

training can and should allow you to condition yourself to not get cramp towards the end of a game of football.

So because some get cramp they’re not trained? 🙄

Chris Froome blew up in the Vuelta. He knew he was gonna have to ride those climbs, was he not trained? Why didn’t Shanaze Reade win the BMX Gold at the Olympics? It’s less than a minute of riding, surely she could have been trained to make sure she was the best. Plenty of cyclists struggle in their events, it’s not simply a sign of a lack of training!

Comments like yours just show quite a bit of naivety IMO.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Chris Froome blew up in the Vuelta

That would be hard to train for. And messy.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Comments like yours just show quite a bit of naivety IMO.

not really, i asked my friend who’s a BC qualified cycling coach what he though, basically he said they ( (footballers) train for short term muscle endurance but lack the fitness levels to sustain that. get fit first then condition yourself. they probably do not train for any peaks or prepare well with proper nutrition/liquid intake the previous day or the couple of hours before their game. basically you shouldn’t get cramp towards the end of 90 or 120mins

remind me how many days/hours Froome had been riding in the Vuelta? i think it was for more than 90mins with 2-3 days rest/light training in-between?

as for Reade i think she lost because she only has a good gate and lacks the ability at the highest level.
    she is the best in the U.K. but a couple of other people were better.

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

Footballers suffer cramp due to spending most of the recovery time between matches engaged in intercourse with glamour models.

andyl
    Free Member

Cycling is a pretty easy sport to train for because you pretty much just need to cycle. Yes there will be gym sessions etc but the nature of the sport means you can just cycle for hours on end with a low risk of injury.

Rowing, running, swimming etc all all similar and all need just as much hard work.

But the other sports eg field events like shot put, javelin etc all require a mixture of training as you cannot just throw something with that much power all day and expect your body to put up with it for long. You need gym for arm, core, legs etc. They probably do training to get the explosive burst – look at the size of some of the athletes and how fast they can move across the throwing enclosure. Have you tried throwing a shotput half as far as they manage? It’s technique, power and control. Only difference is they put in hours and hours of training to do something which lasts seconds. They don’t have ANY room for error when they compete and they have to nail it.

djglover
    Free Member

mogrim

(And what about the “sports” like volleyball, shooting, etc?)

Why wouldn’t you consider volleyball a sport?

MSP

i asked my friend who’s a BC qualified cycling coach what he though, basically he said they ( (footballers) train for short term muscle endurance but lack the fitness levels to sustain that. get fit first then condition yourself. they probably do not train for any peaks or prepare well with proper nutrition/liquid intake the previous day or the couple of hours before their game. basically you shouldn’t get cramp towards the end of 90 or 120mins

Well he must be a qualified idiot. Do you really believe that football teams leave the players nutrition and preparation to chance? They have backroom teams of doctors, physios and nutritionists planning every aspect of the players preparation, the investment ploughed into this by the top teams would blow any cycling team out of the water.

alex222
    Free Member

Footballers suffer cramp due to spending most of the recovery time between matches engaged in intercourse with glamour models getting drunk, smoking, taking coke and glassing revelers in night clubs.

warton
    Free Member

i asked my friend who’s a BC qualified cycling coach

My mates a qualified British cycling coach. He is the last person I would ask about anything to do with Cycling, fitness, nutrition or diet.

atlaz
    Free Member

the investment ploughed into this by the top teams would blow any cycling team out of the water.

Pretty sure the salaries paid to single players on some teams would blow the whole budget of some cycling teams

mikeconnor
    Free Member

i asked my friend who’s a BC qualified cycling coach what he though

Well he must be a qualified idiot. Do you really believe that football teams leave the players nutrition and preparation to chance? They have backroom teams of doctors, physios and nutritionists planning every aspect of the players preparation, the investment ploughed into this by the top teams would blow any cycling team out of the water.

I’m going to show this thread to a guy I know who is a physio for a London Premier League football club. I suspect he’ll be quite amused by some of the comments here.

midlifecrashes

Have a look at this bunch of lightweights. NBA Basketball:

Miami Heat 2013 Schedule

cookeaa

Competitors in any sport are geared towards their respective disiplines physical requirements, if for instance your chosen sport needs you to pedal 4-5 hours a day, for two weeks with minimal rest, then maybe have a couple of days off before another event requiring similar endurance/rapid recovery then that is what you condition your body to do.

If your sport needs you to run about kicking a ball for 90 minutes each weekend then that is what you train for…

If you need to run 100m in under 10 seconds that is what you train for…

Not all sports are directly comparable though are they; some require very short high intensity bursts, others need sustained, measured performances over a longer period, where a competitor needs to meter how energy is expended in order to remain in contention at the finish.

No matter what the sport I believe the biggest challenge is probably maintaining physical performance/fitness during the off-season, a period of sustained competitiion will enevitably result in a level of baseline fitness, but its the off-season where perhaps the presure to perform subsides for a bit where performances can slip I reckon…

MrSmith
    Free Member

I’m going to show this thread to a guy I know who is a physio for a London Premier League football club. I suspect he’ll be quite amused by some of the comments here.

Can you ask him why footballers get cramp after 90mins (with time to take on fluids after 45min)?
    And his view on why a crit cyclist (1hour plus 5 laps) or a tour cyclist will rarely get cramp?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Do other athletes work as hard as cyclists?’ is closed to new replies.